What's your weather right now? 2024 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is 7PM and still 102F. I hate this. I need two homes, one for summer and the one I have now for winter.

1723162574690.png

CD

It was up to 27°C today, now it's 19C with light rain. Tomorrow we are expecting a lot of rain. Hurricane Debbie's remnants are coming here to dump a bunch of rain on us. As The Weather Whisperer, a guy I follow on Patreon wrote, "Debbie does Quebec".

We have the following rainfall warning:

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 21-11-08 Montréal QC - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada.png

On and off rain today, up to .89", and the temperature only up to 77°. Only forecast to 76° overnight, and getting warmer tomorrow, with a lot more rain, and very humid again. Saturday it is supposed to finally clear up, with less humidity.

Getting ready for Debby wind, heavy rain and possible tornado.

Last edited:
It has been raining steadily since 19h00 (7PM) here on the Island of Montreal. It has been light rain as well as some heavy downpours. It is supposed to end around 05h00 (5AM). There are puddles in the grass of some of the common areas or our condo association.

There may also be some thunder and lightning soon, as well as a chance of win gusting up to 90 km/hour.

And it's gloomy. I have turned on far more lights than I usually turn on in the daytime.

The day started pretty cool this morning, but by mid afternoon, it was hot again. Not as hot as some other days this week, but more humid.

1723325581114.png

CD

So, Montreal managed to get the most rain in a day, since they started recording it. At the airport, about 5 km from me, 154 mm (6.1"}. Yup, water got into my basement. It came in from the underground garage. There's a corridor outside my basement door that leads to the garage. I am so not looking forward to dealing with this.

There are so many people here on the Island who have been affected that the insurance companies are besieged with phone calls.

So, Montreal managed to get the most rain in a day, since they started recording it. At the airport, about 5 km from me, 154 mm (6.1"}. Yup, water got into my basement. It came in from the underground garage. There's a corridor outside my basement door that leads to the garage. I am so not looking forward to dealing with this.

There are so many people here on the Island who have been affected that the insurance companies are besieged with phone calls.

I hope you didn't have a fully finished and furnished basement. Flood damage is the worst. Dry things out as quickly as possible before mold starts to grow.

CD

I hope you didn't have a fully finished and furnished basement. Flood damage is the worst. Dry things out as quickly as possible before mold starts to grow.

CD
I have dealt with flooding in that basement before, more than once. Yeah, I'm going to bring an extension cord into the basement shortly and plug in a fan. The basement isn't fully finished. About 3/4 of the basement is one large finished room and the rest is a room that has bare concrete floor and the wooden struts and stuff are out in the open, like in a garage. At least that's the room where the water came in, not on the finished side.

Hurricane damage in my basement was not on my list of best guesses about the future. Yes, that rain was from the remnants of Hurricane Debbie.

Last edited:
Hurricane damage in my basement was not on my list best guesses about the future. Yes, that rain was from the remnants of Hurricane Debbie.

Quite amazing, isn't it, since Debby was a pretty weak storm. It briefly made it to Cat1 Hurricane. Hurricane Beryl was briefly a Cat5 storm, and did major damage... in June. That's just not normal.

Anyone who thinks Global Warming/Climate Change isn't real, or not a big deal, is kidding themself. I'll probably be dead by the time things get catastrophic, but I walk through stores, and see parents with their young children, and hope they are taking this seriously.

But, here in deep red state Texas, I know that most of them aren't thinking about it, as they load their two kids into their 6,000 pound, gas guzzling SUV that seats 7 people. It is, after all, their inalienable right to burn as much fossil fuel as they can afford to buy.

I better go "rant off" before I get in trouble.

CD

Hey taxy, was talking to my son (Rigaud) earlier. Was telling him you live pretty close to the back river and I was hoping you were OK.
Is it the drain system can't handle it? or other?

Is it the drain system can't handle it?

It depends on how short of time that amount of rain falls. Six inches spread over 24 hours is not the same thing as six inches in two hours. Montreal is a very old city, with a metropolitan area of about 4-million. It is entirely possible that the rain overwhelmed the infrastructure.

I feel for Taxi and the people around there. Like I said, flooding is the worst. A tree fell on my house a couple of months ago due to a storm. I'll take that any day over flooding.

CD

Hey taxy, was talking to my son (Rigaud) earlier. Was telling him you live pretty close to the back river and I was hoping you were OK.
Is it the drain system can't handle it? or other?
I don't know. The soil is pretty near fully saturated. The water was flowing down into the underground garage. The drains in the garage couldn't keep up. The garage got maybe a foot of water, maybe a foot and a half. It flowed above the step up to the corridor. I use that corridor to get to the garage. Once the water was in the corridor, it started flowing under doors into people's basements. I have lived here for 29 years and it's never been anything like this. When I have had water in the basement before, the water came up through the basement drain and once it was a burst water heater.

Montreal is very old by North American standards, but that's the city. There are probably still sections of the Montreal sewer system or maybe its the water distribution system, that have wooden pipes. But, the rest of the Island had and has other cities with separate infrastructure. Most of those cities are not nearly as old as Montreal.

Cottage up north/west of Montreal)
There's a rock in the middle of our little bay (just an indent really, but we call it a bay). In the spring just a tippy top shows, and as summer progresses it stands out of the water by about 2 feet. This summer less than a foot has been showing and after these rains it has disappeared. That's 1 to 2 feet of water more than normal. That's a lot of water! It's a big lake!
Sure hope someone put the marker up! It will for sure take your propeller off.

. A tree fell on my house a couple of months ago due to a storm. I'll take that any day over flooding.
casey there's many a scenario for flooding. At the farm my basement used to flood every spring. It was a pain in the neck but because it was known there were automatic measures taken. Granted it was only a couple of inches and not a foot.
At a home (early '70's) we had in Beaconsfield the system could not handle a tremendous downpour and backed up into houses everywhere. Woke my kids up by scooping water at them. Was probably about 3". Ruined carpeting, water marks on walls, lots of labour.
Two years ago here, wind storm took a huge tree down beside us. Branch and hole in the roof. Branch and hole in the side of the house. Took out a good section of fence and crushed one end of the brand new deck in progress.
My granddaughter had been "dancing in the wind" on the deck 1 minute before it came crashing down and covering the entire deck.

So you see? It all depends on the scenario.

Cottage up north/west of Montreal)
There's a rock in the middle of our little bay (just an indent really, but we call it a bay). In the spring just a tippy top shows, and as summer progresses it stands out of the water by about 2 feet. This summer less than a foot has been showing and after these rains it has disappeared. That's 1 to 2 feet of water more than normal. That's a lot of water! It's a big lake!
Sure hope someone put the marker up! It will for sure take your propeller off.

Here is a related fun fact from Austin...

CD

We are in the statistically hottest week of the year in North Texas. It should start gradually getting better. We have had 14 days over 100F this summer. But this date last summer, we had experienced 36 days over 100F.

1723607744867.png

CD

This ain't Texas (woo), ain't no hold 'em (hey)
So lay your cards down, down, down, down
So park your Lexus (woo) and throw your keys up (hey)
Stick around, 'round, 'round, 'round, 'round (stick around)
And I'll be damned if I can't slow dance with you
Come pour some sugar on me, honey too
It's a real life boogie and a real life hoedown
Don't be a bitch, come take it to the floor now, woo, huh (woo)

Back
Top Bottom