What's your weather right now? 2024 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately my experience, although not as intense as yours bliss, was certainly not pleasant. The worst part is that now, although I can work a bit in the sun, nothing like I was able to before.

I'm so very glad everything turned out well for Mr Bliss (and you). Sure sounds like you've got a great neighbour!
Does Mr Bliss remember the feelings he was experiencing? He's the one who will feel them first, way before you will notice.

Thanks @caseydog Before he went out he ate his wet oatmeal breakfast, 2 bananas, and an orange, was drinking soda.

Soda is a bad thing for hydrating. Anything carbonated. I don't recall why, but I know to avoid it. Water and sports drinks like Gatorade are better. Gatorade is a good recovery drink, to replace minerals lost through sweating.

Our friend working with us, and me, we didn't notice the first signs, which for him, he couldn't grasp some frames at the hive, and then he wasn't strong enough to close the patio door. (I thought he was being a jerk...but he wasn't.) He didn't understand why he couldn't, but neither did we, but he didn't have the dexterity or strength. After that he got worse fast and couldn't concentrate on anything or answer questions, and he started losing balance. Once we laid him on the ground I grabbed a bee suit crumpled up for under his head, then a bucket of water w/washcloth I had just inside the tent (for sticky hands or messes). None of us want to repeat this ever again. We're both tired from the experience.

Those are classic signs. When I worked pipeline construction back in the 1980s, we all had to keep an eye on each other.

CD

@dragnlaw, yes, I asked him many times all afternoon and last night, 'what were you feeling?' and 'where in your body did you feel it?' and 'what did you notice?' He didn't feel it coming on, he was confused by not having the dexterity and Zach helped him. He didn't know why he couldn't close the patio door, I called him a jerk under my breath, and he thanked me for running back to close the door....seriously didn't explain or even understand what was happening. Neither Zach or I picked up on it. Until-he stopped responding to questions. (we were talking about labels for his honey, pleasant, fun conversation to that point)
@caseydog Soda, you don't even want to hear my rant about how soda isn't good for anyone. Diet soda, too. I'm in the no soda for me group but he drinks it a lot daily and there's no convincing him otherwise.
You're right, we have to watch out for each other.
Thank you for the support. Honestly it helped me process it.

@dragnlaw, yes, I asked him many times all afternoon and last night, 'what were you feeling?' and 'where in your body did you feel it?' and 'what did you notice?' He didn't feel it coming on, he was confused by not having the dexterity and Zach helped him. He didn't know why he couldn't close the patio door, I called him a jerk under my breath, and he thanked me for running back to close the door....seriously didn't explain or even understand what was happening. Neither Zach or I picked up on it. Until-he stopped responding to questions. (we were talking about labels for his honey, pleasant, fun conversation to that point)
@caseydog Soda, you don't even want to hear my rant about how soda isn't good for anyone. Diet soda, too. I'm in the no soda for me group but he drinks it a lot daily and there's no convincing him otherwise.
You're right, we have to watch out for each other.
Thank you for the support. Honestly it helped me process it.

Those mental cues are very important. That signals things are getting serious -- act now!

Instead of soda, would he drink Gatorade? Still not a healthy drink, but WAY better for hydration. Ever see soda on the sidelines of a pro-football game? ;)

CD

It is only 97F with a HI of 100F today. Downright pleasant compared to Friday's 105F and HI of 118F.

Believe it or not, this summer has not been as bad as last year <knocking on wood>.

CD

Soda is a bad thing for hydrating. Anything carbonated. I don't recall why, but I know to avoid it. Water and sports drinks like Gatorade are better. Gatorade is a good recovery drink, to replace minerals lost through sweating.

<snip>

CD
Isn't Gatorade carbonated? I haven't had it since the 1960s, so I don't remember for sure.

Are you sure that it's anything carbonated that isn't hydrating? I read that Club Soda is just as hydrating as plain water. I sure hope that I am getting hydrated by all the club soda I drink.

And our weather, here on the Island of Montreal is okay, but we are expecting thunderstorms.

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 17-40-25 Montréal QC - 7 Day F[...].png

It's hot and humid today, I have fans running in the honey tent and in the house, AC in the bedroom.
@caseydog His soda addiction is something like 5 a day. He doesn't care for water so I got a water filter and we pick up water at an artesian well and we have good well water. That's why I made the raspberry lemonade. Would he drink gatorade? I don't know I'll ask him. I don't want to be a nag to him.
He's being super careful today, taking breaks, drinking water and soda. If it doesn't cool off more this week I'll be worried about him cutting the lawn. Most of our work on the honey is done, and we'll repeat it again in a month if we have more supers full.

Isn't Gatorade carbonated? I haven't had it since the 1960s, so I don't remember for sure.

Are you sure that it's anything carbonated that isn't hydrating? I read that Club Soda is just as hydrating as plain water. I sure hope that I am getting hydrated by all the club soda I drink.

Gatorade is not carbonated.

A quick search indicates that plain carbonated water is okay, but "sodas," like Coke, sprite, etc, are not. I didn't look farther to find out why, but I know for sure sodas are not good fro hydration. Even worse is beer, due to the alcohol.

I like a cold Dr. Pepper or Beer on a hot day, but not if I am doing anything beyond sitting on the patio in the shade.

CD

Not that hot today, but absolutely disgusting humidity. Right now it is 78°, but 89% humidity. So far, I've gotten .24" of rain, over 3 rainfalls, each time increasing the humidity into the 90s. Maybe 83° for the high today, but it felt a lot worse!

That weather forecast that CD shared looks a lot like the weather when I was growing up in the San Fernando Valley, part of L.A., Calif. But, we only got humidity for approximately the first two weeks of August. The rest of the summer was bone dry.

@caseydog I asked him if he'd drink gatorade and he said maybe. He goes shopping tomorrow.....maybe he'll bring some back. I asked him if he would drink some homemade gatorade (lemon slices, orange slices, water, sugar, potassium and sodium salts) and he said yes, so I made some (a quart) for tomorrow. He's going to mow so he can drink it when he first gets up, like you said, preloading, he probably won't mow until the rest of the world wakes up.
I wanted something cold and spicy for myself and saw this recipe for Thai Spicy Sweet Tea (i'll make it with almond milk on top).

@caseydog I asked him if he'd drink gatorade and he said maybe. He goes shopping tomorrow.....maybe he'll bring some back. I asked him if he would drink some homemade gatorade (lemon slices, orange slices, water, sugar, potassium and sodium salts) and he said yes, so I made some (a quart) for tomorrow. He's going to mow so he can drink it when he first gets up, like you said, preloading, he probably won't mow until the rest of the world wakes up.
I wanted something cold and spicy for myself and saw this recipe for Thai Spicy Sweet Tea (i'll make it with almond milk on top).

Homemade Gatorade sounds good. When I worked all day in high temperatures, I drank water to pre-hydrate. The Gatorade was good later in the day to recover minerals lost through sweating profusely. We all alternated between water and Gatorade as the day progressed.

The key is to start out hydrated, and replenish as you work. You also need to keep your kidneys flushed, so you need to drink enough to not only keep up with what you sweat out, but enough that you still need to pee on your normal time frame.

The bee suit is probably what pushed him over the edge. He was probably dehydrated, and had a core temperature that was too high. Sweating inside that suit probably didn't allow the sweat to cool his body through evaporation, because it limited air flow.

CD

We rarely hear of anyone discussing "the Dog Days" of summer. When I was a child, there were a lot of myths and folklore, as well as superstitions, about them. I still love to read the Almanacs. Today, they posted a recipe called Dog Days Iced Tea. It sounds terrific but may be too sugary for me.

Anyhow, I associate the Dog Days of Summer with hot and sticky weather.

I asked my mom what the Dog Days of Summer were. Her version was late August, starting into September (which is late summer here) when it is hot, muggy and still, the ponds and streams are warm and getting an icky scum on it so you can't (or don't want!) to go swimming - nor should you let the dog go in!

Not to mention water borne diseases such as tuberculosis, typhoid, hepatitis, polio.
She didn't list the diseases but she certainly knew about them, and she really just said mucky water will make you sick. and I think that was her point.

Usually the hottest days of our summer coincidentally fall on the weeks of tomato canning. Dogs days, for sure. I have recently begun calling it the 'tomato hell weeks'. We love the tomatoes, cooking them, canning them but it's so Darn HOT and humid.

@Kathleen The dog day's iced tea sounds delicious. I'm drinking the thai spice sweet tea (1/2 the sugar) right now. It's very pleasant even without the creamy top. I used spices, rooibos, and black tea.

I'm an Iced tea addict, and drink it 365 days a year. I have a jar of Thai tea, I alternate with spearmint, from the mint patch, and I make about a half gallon, and a half gallon of 3 or 4 bags (less at this time of year, and more often, since it can go bad overnight), and remove the bags from the gallon pitcher, and strain the Thai tea into it, when almost cooled. And I definitely don't put all that sugar in that traditional Thai tea has!

Iced tea is served all-year around down here. It will always be on the drink menu at restaurants, even fast food restaurants (unsweetened or sweet tea).

CD

Back
Top Bottom