Dried Soup Mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GilliAnne

Senior Cook
Has anyone here tried any of these? Can they be used on their own or do they need other ingredients added? I don't understand the instructions on the dried mix soup packet that I have seen.

Thanks.

Gillian

I've only ever used dried soup mixes in dishes I'm making, i.e. adding a packet of onion soup mix to a beef stew or a pot of vegetable soup or a meatloaf, or using the packets in other dishes that call for it as part of the recipe.

That's actually a very good question. Now that I think about it, I don't know anyone who consumes the soup as-is according to the packet directions.

The onion soup mixes not so much but did on occasion.

But chicken noodle soup was a mainstay in my house.
One pkg made 4 cups of soup if I remember correctly and I would to do 2 for a meal of 6 people. (with salad 'n sandwiches)

I've usually made my own onion soup recently but I just might get a pkg and try and see how it fairs against a quicky meal for a Poor Man's French Onion Soup.
I rarely use it to flavour meatloaf or burgers as I've found it extremely salty and difficult to equalize the contents to just use a portion.

The onion soup mixes not so much but did on occasion.

But chicken noodle soup was a mainstay in my house.
One pkg made 4 cups of soup if I remember correctly and I would to do 2 for a meal of 6 people. (with salad 'n sandwiches)

I've usually made my own onion soup recently but I just might get a pkg and try and see how it fairs against a quicky meal for a Poor Man's French Onion Soup.
I rarely use it to flavour meatloaf or burgers as I've found it extremely salty and difficult to equalize the contents to just use a portion.
Oh yeah, that chicken noodle soup is great. That I will definitely make as a soup. I was thinking more along the lines of the Lipton onion soup mix, etc.

They are salty indeed, so I usually only add a small portion of the packet, then keep the remainder of the packet for another use or two. A whole packet will work, though, in a crock pot beef stew, if you're making enough for several servings.

Dried soup mixes are a good starter. But I always add onions, carrots, potatoes, celery. Sometimes more, sometimes less, definitely check the seasoning.
I especially like pea soup, bean soup/soups, there are many different available, mixes.

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried any of these? Can they be used on their own or do they need other ingredients added? I don't understand the instructions on the dried mix soup packet that I have seen.

Thanks.

Gillian
If the instructions on the package are unclear, just try following the general tips like you usually do when making soup.

OK - so what part don't you understand? Bring water to a boil, add package mixture, return to boil, simmer for specified amount of time, or if not clear taste test until done .... eat.

OK - so what part don't you understand? Bring water to a boil, add package mixture, return to boil, simmer for specified amount of time, or if not clear taste test until done .... eat.
OHHHHHHHH. So you're the one that wrote the package directions? ;)
Are you also the one that wrote the cooking instructions on the pasta bags/boxes? They are equally WRONG. I can't tell you how many times I check the directions and the pasta isn't nearly done yet when it is supposed to be done.

OHHHHHHHH. So you're the one that wrote the package directions? ;)
Are you also the one that wrote the cooking instructions on the pasta bags/boxes? They are equally WRONG. I can't tell you how many times I check the directions and the pasta isn't nearly done yet when it is supposed to be done.
I don't think I've read the directions for cooking pasta in 30-some years.

I don't think I've read the directions for cooking pasta in 30-some years.
Prior to 5 years ago I had the pasta directions kind of memorized. We switched to whole wheat pasta and each brand has different directions times, some not nearly enough. Also the bow tie pasta takes much longer due to its thickness. I just test pasta every time now. I noticed the problem when mr bliss tried making pasta and I stupidly told him to read the box. My mistake.

My mom used Lipton Onion Soup for making dips with sour cream. I still make that about once a year. We also ate the Cup of Soup chicken noodle soup, which had a good flavor, but not much substance.

When I was poor, I ate a lot of packaged ramen. Now, I can't eat it, because it is a sodium bomb.

CD

Prior to 5 years ago I had the pasta directions kind of memorized. We switched to whole wheat pasta and each brand has different directions times, some not nearly enough. Also the bow tie pasta takes much longer due to its thickness. I just test pasta every time now. I noticed the problem when mr bliss tried making pasta and I stupidly told him to read the box. My mistake.
Oops! :ermm: lol

Yeah, testing is the way to go. Because you're right, different pastas take different cook times. Test test test.

I use the package times as a rough guide, but check for proper doneness by tasting.

CD

I use the package times as a rough guide, but check for proper doneness by tasting.

CD
Yes, what you said.
Tonight I made a 1/2 lb of ww rotini by Barilla. It says bring the water to a boil (which I always do), a rolling boil, add the pasta, stir. Cook for 9 minutes and it adds, or 10 if you want a more tender pasta. At 9 minutes it was gummy. At 10 minutes still gummy and too tough. In truth it has to go 12-14 minutes. I took them off after tasting them at 13 minutes.
It's just that I used to be able to trust the package directions.

Yes, what you said.
Tonight I made a 1/2 lb of ww rotini by Barilla. It says bring the water to a boil (which I always do), a rolling boil, add the pasta, stir. Cook for 9 minutes and it adds, or 10 if you want a more tender pasta. At 9 minutes it was gummy. At 10 minutes still gummy and too tough. In truth it has to go 12-14 minutes. I took them off after tasting them at 13 minutes.
It's just that I used to be able to trust the package directions.
Yep, that's been my experience as well. Which is why I don't even bother with package directions. Anytime I have ever followed the exact cook times for whatever pasta I happen to be using, it's never ever ever cooked properly. And let me add by saying that I like "al dente" pasta. I don't want it overcooked, but I don't like it tough to chew, either. So yeah, it needs longer than 9 or 10 minutes.

Now, if I'm making a pan of lasagna, I'll cook the lasagna noodles exactly 10 minutes (I do NOT like or use the "no cook" lasagna noodles) because I know it's eventually going into the oven, once it's layered with all the other ingredients, for at least an hour. The noodles will cook even further during that time and I don't want mushy lasagna. But that's really the only time I will slightly undercook pasta, is when I know it's going into the oven in a casserole of some sort.

I have not used the instant soup packages since I was a kid. I just don't like all the bonus, weird chemicals in the ingredient list. I'm suddenly remembering the first time I went grocery shopping with Stirling, my boyfriend at the time, who I did marry. When we got to the cash register there was all the stuff that is supposed to tempt you with an impulse purchase including Knorr instant soup. I told him to read the ingredient list. We were both shocked. The first ingredient was salt and the second one was MSG. 'Nuf said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom