What's your weather like right now? 2023 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of work but good for you! Love asparagus! Haven't seen any of ours come up. Will check again tomorrow.

Rain was forcast for a bit yesterday - got none. And a lot late this afternoon, well, it is almost 7pm and the rain started about 15/20 minutes ago. certainly not a drenching but maybe that means it will rain all night. I prefer that, get better soakage. (new word for the English language?)

That rain didn't come, but there was dew all over when I got up this morning - that's how humid it was. It wasn't quite as bad today, but it was humid, and 80°, so it felt worse than the 87° Thursday! Cooler tomorrow, and then forecast for below average on Tuesday! And that ground is very dry, there has been so little rain. So much for April showers.

I'm finally getting some rain!
It is staying around 50° at 10:30 pm, with rain at 1.26", and still raining. I heard at the 6 pm news that this area hadn't gotten over 1" of rain in a day since January 19th! And this isn't even including the next 2 days, when it's supposed to keep raining.

We had one beautiful sunny day today with a high of 18°C (64°). We are expecting rain for the next six days with highs between 11 and 15°C. I sure hope that doesn't cause too much flooding. I'm not worried for me because, we are elevated enough above the surrounding land. But, not far from here, the river has been known to rise enough to flood streets, homes, and businesses. Spring flooding is a real thing here in Quebec and always a crap shoot how bad it will be.

By midnight, the total ended up at 1.37", and after midnight I've gotten .90"! This is the most rain in this area all year - some areas got even more. Having a break now, with more to come m. Still very cool - about 10° below average, for this date, maybe reaching 60°, though maybe not.

Yesterday morning. It was melted by noon.

Attachments

• April 28 2023.jpg
    April 28 2023.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 6
At 10:45 pm the total was up to 2.23" for today, so the total so far, for these 3 days is well over 4". And still raining well. Definitely no longer in a draught! We were just under 4" from the total rain by this time of year, so we caught up, with more to come this week.

I actually got rain!! Not much, mind you, only .07", but it's been about 3 weeks since I saw that much. It got very dark and windy, and I heard thunder, though it wasn't close, and about 5 minutes later, it got brighter, though it is still overcast. The temperature dropped about 4 degrees to 77° - I'd been waiting for that, before going out to the garden.

We heard a bit of distant thunder. It rained some minuscule amount. It's not really enough to help the drought stricken areas or do much to quench the forest fires. Air quality is pretty bad from wild fires at the moment.

Air quality is bad here in Central New York too.

Cool, hazy from smoke, and a strong smell of burning wood.

We had a similar situation twenty years ago when there were multiple wildfires to the north in Canada.

The smoke and haze started me thinking about the year without a summer when a volcanic eruption drastically altered weather patterns.

Last edited:
Just took Maya for a walk and was shocked to step outside to hazy wood smoke! Think the wind must have changed. Don't know if that's good or bad for the fires.
Hope the cottage is OK. It's not far from one or two of the fires.

It's been cloudy and in the low 70s today. We're getting smoke from the Canadian fires all the way down here; the Air Quality Index is in the red zone, meaning it's "unhealthy." Since I'm still recovering from having pneumonia in March, I'm staying in (except for the doctor's appointment I had this morning) with the windows closed. It might rain tonight and clear out the smoke, at least temporarily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom