Saving seeds for gardens from year to year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@Rascal I save my pepper seeds and tomato seeds. Bean seeds, both pole and bush types. Herbs/flowers/kale/lettuce/parsley/keeper long day onions/sunflowers.
With the tomato seeds, I ferment them 3-5 days to get the gel off the seeds, then I strain and wash and air dry them. Those last 8-10 years.

I started chillies capsicum tomatoes more peas and corn. My gardener is coming Wednesday to dig garden over and dig in sheep manure. Hes my lawn man as well.
I can't dig myself due to frozen shoulder. ( truck driving)

Russ

I started chillies capsicum tomatoes more peas and corn. My gardener is coming Wednesday to dig garden over and dig in sheep manure. Hes my lawn man as well.
I can't dig myself due to frozen shoulder. ( truck driving)

Russ
Russ, here in WI, us as gardeners, think about the next garden, wishfully looking forward to spring, from November through March! We plan and consider different fertilizers, natural pesticides, buying new equipment like hoses and spades, the plants we want to grow, where to get the seeds, what new things to try. So when our gardens are covered in 2 feet of snow, I hope you'll keep us informed and up to date on gardening so our 'hope' and 'wishfulness' is inspired all winter here!
I know that's a lot to put on your shoulders but I believe you can do it! :)

I grew that Long Island Cheese squash once (a moschata variety, so I'm able to grow it), but only got 2 squash per plant, despite being huge vines, like a number of butternuts, and other squash I've tried. And it was just too large, even for a family - even larger than the butternuts I grow, so there is a large amount leftover.

Speaking of the winter squash, I also save seeds from them as a substitute for pumpkin seeds. I never peel them, but I dry roast them, and use them in anything where they will be ground up. Some of those varieties I won't be growing again, due to production, still had so many seeds that it seemed there was a pound of seeds in each squash!

Russ, here in WI, us as gardeners, think about the next garden, wishfully looking forward to spring, from November through March! We plan and consider different fertilizers, natural pesticides, buying new equipment like hoses and spades, the plants we want to grow, where to get the seeds, what new things to try. So when our gardens are covered in 2 feet of snow, I hope you'll keep us informed and up to date on gardening so our 'hope' and 'wishfulness' is inspired all winter here!
Yeah I've been envious reading about your sunny days when we had -5 frosts.
Another nice day here 22 deg c
I'm going outside to hand water strawberry plants etc. I only propagate then wife takes over. I picked 3.5 kg raspberries last season. I make my own jams etc.
I know you call it jelly.

Russ

Wife doesn't use sprays etc. Just sheep droppings mixed with soil. She has netting over lettuce etc.
16949864373595796358801131089214.jpg

Russ, we call it jam when there are pieces of fruit in it and we call it jelly when it's made with the juice from the fruit, but not the pieces of fruit.

Yeah I'm 3rd generation jam maker from my nana to me. My wife doesn't cook. I do everything.
I also do raspberry coulis and strawberry coulis.

Russ

I love squash seeds, to eat!
Me too!. After Thanksgiving, when people are tossing all their autumn pumpkins and squash , I've been known to pick up the good ones ( curbside), take them home and roast the seed. I figure they're just getting thrown out anyway, so why not. My wife's embarrassed of me, but I don/t care.

I too, used to do that Larry. I would roast a few seeds for me but mostly it was for my chickens. I'd grab the smaller ones, freeze them, then every once in a while toss one to the chickens. Amused them for days not to mention being nutritious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom