Garlic for 2024, one new variety this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent this evening separating a bunch of garlic for planting the next two days! For anyone that thinks there aren't different kinds of garlic, here's proof!

I have that Music and Bogatyr that I ordered the pound each of seed garlic for. Only two cloves with bad spots, and 5 too small to plant, so I have 48 - exactly enough to fill 2 rows.
Music, 48 cloves from a pound. Large cloves, largest 12.4 grams by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Leftover Music cloves. Just 2 larger ones with bad spots, and 5 thin cloves, I won't plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Bogatyr is a little smaller, but still larger than most softnecks. They were very uniform, with very few small cloves, and only one with a bad spot, and just that one very small head (and I got more than a pound with both). And the skin was incredibly tight to all the cloves, so I assume it will be a good one for storage, like Metechi.
Bogatyr heads, before separation, similar to Metechi, which I'm growing in place of. fairly uniform, and I got 76 cloves in the pound. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bogatyr, only one with a bad spot, and 3 too small to plant. And I didn't even separate that small head! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Estonian Reds are 10 heads I labeled last season, when I had harvested everything, and these were the largest; I also labeled 9 of the largest Georgian Fire heads - not quite as large, but close to it. One of the ER heads had just those two largest cloves, and one head had just 3! Yet, these things have even more potent flavor than most garlic, the Georgian Fire even more so! Not mild, like elephant garlic.
Just 10 heads of Estonian Red, 27.8 oz. Largest heads I've ever grown. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Estonian Red garlic, 44 cloves separated, 18.9 oz. Those 2 largest were 23.2 g, and 21.8 g. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Georgian Fire, 9 heads, almost as large as Estonian Red. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

41 cloves of Georgian Fire, 15.5 oz. Not one bad or small clove, in these, or the Estonian Reds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll have a few empty spots out there, and I will probably fill it in with some Metchi from last season.
@pepperhead212 your Estonian Red are gorgeous. The weight averages out at 2.78 ounces/bulb.
My best of my Russian Reds are 8 bulbs per pound, or just at best 2 ounces/bulb. My average is more like 10 or 12 bulbs per pound. They are a hardneck variety and average 3-4 cloves mostly. And this is a good year with aged horse manure compost and good growing conditions. (history, we used to sell garlic, growing 8 types, mostly but not all hardneck, but we settled on this Russian Red variety once we decided to grow mostly for ourselves)

I saw an interesting video on growing different garlics as an experiment, 8/10 were softneck, and 2 hardneck. I prefer the hardneck. I liked that he had the ability to grow it in a tunnel, I can't expect to do that. His yields were 100 grams/bulb or 3.5 ounces/bulb. That is a crazy big garlic. I noticed he let some of them grow well beyond when they should be harvested-where the outer wrapper had already fallen apart. I admire that tenacity at trying to get the best yield in his garlic.
I finished the garlic today! As usual, I soaked it with a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution, starting the first batch - the Georgian Fire - and pouring it onto the next container, and soaking that, while planting the first batch. By the time I get to the last, there is about a quarter of the alcohol left, though still enough to coat everything, and sterilize it.

When I planted today, I found only one more double clove than I had before, so I ended up with 45 Estonian Reds, with 3 Metechis - plus 7 more Methechis, in addition to the 41 Georgian Fires. I had 2 extra Metechis, and I just shoved them in the other bed at the end. 48 Musics, and 72 Bogatyrs filled the 2 and 3 rows exactly.
Here's the first row of fabric, with the row of Garlic directly down the center of the bed, showing the placement string. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished bed of garlic, before putting on a layer of ground up leaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
I put a staple in each end of the strips, and after taking that nylon string, I use for placement of the garlic (I marked it with marks 5" apart), and pulling it taught, I sort of use that to straighten up the strip, and put a staple in the center. And I put the holes for the staples in the strips before laying them, as the fabric is sort of hard to poke the holes in!

Today I covered the bed with some leaves, I still had left from last fall. I didn't want those strips to blow loose, given that lousy weather coming in.
Garlic bed, covered with some leaves from last year, 10-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Looking good! Im actually going to be away this weekend, so I'll probably get mar garlic in sometime next week or weekend . Usually I use shredded leaves or straw as a mulch. I may try fabric this year. depends how lazy I am.

Latest posts

Top Bottom