What's your weather like right now? 2023 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scary!! Glad you are able to report...
My lights flickered all night. The mood lightens when I have no idea where the candles are or if I have any so I did not look for them. This house is 150 years old and I'm the first to have electricity not to mention telephone and Internet (LOL).

Scary!! Glad you are able to report...
I live out in the hills. No streetlights. When the power goes out, there is NO light! Eyes open, eyes closed, it looks exactly the same.

I have battery powered candles around the house and flashlights concealed here and there too. I can, generally, find one of them without tripping over something first. ;)

I live out in the hills. No streetlights. When the power goes out, there is NO light! Eyes open, eyes closed, it looks exactly the same.

I have battery powered candles around the house and flashlights concealed here and there too. I can, generally, find one of them without tripping over something first. ;)
I have relatives who live on a farm. When it gets dark out there ... it's black. The fire pit is really cool. Something was making a big noise in the tree branches ... they told me it was a tiny bat!

We are having interesting weather. We're expecting "Freezing precipitation amounts of 10 to 20 millimetres are expected over these areas today." 10 - 20 mm (0.39" - 0.79") might not sound like much, but if that accretes on power lines and trees, it could cause power outages. Some nearby places are getting thunder and lightning.

Note: numbers are in metric units, so °C, km/h, etc.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 11-45-44 Hourly Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.png

Listened to thunder all night - still going on although seems to have lessened - horrendous downpours off and on. Luckily not when taking the kids to school was in a respite and even let me get back into the house. Had a couple of brownouts.

Thinking I can hold off going to the store til those black clouds lighten up a bit.

The Weather Network is now saying that the rain will stop within the hour. I hope so. I also hear that Hydro Québec is updating estimates for when power will be back, again. They quit updating earlier because, the freezing rain was still ongoing. Over 600k customers were/are without power.

The stores lock their doors when the power goes off. You can be locked in or locked out during a power outage.

They don't, at least not around here. What a danger that would be in case of a fire with a store full of customers.
Any store I've been in or worked in, it's business as usual. There are emergency lights and even 'some' cash registers that work.

They don't, at least not around here. What a danger that would be in case of a fire with a store full of customers.
Any store I've been in or worked in, it's business as usual. There are emergency lights and even 'some' cash registers that work.
In our area, they will take "checks or cash only"...

The Weather Network is now saying that the rain will stop within the hour. I hope so. I also hear that Hydro Québec is updating estimates for when power will be back, again. They quit updating earlier because, the freezing rain was still ongoing. Over 600k customers were/are without power.
Looking for an update, please, Taxy???

City of Ottawa just got theirs back after a full day. West Island (west part of Montreal) and just off the island are still without. Don't know when it will come back.
My other son and ex live in the area's without. My son (here) etal are going up tomorrow to visit for the long weekend. Taking a large generator with them. LOL

edit:
we have sunny skies here

Dragnlaw, your son here (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, right?) is going up where?

It's 73F here right now. Should be a cold front coming through tonight with the temp going down to 58.

Last edited:
Ooops, yes GG, you're correct. My son here (is Hamilton/Waterdown, Ontario) is going to Ste Lazare/Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec. (which is basically Montreal) His brother and dad are there.

They left this morning about 7 am - taking with them a portable BBQ, Generator, little space heaters, a griddler and 3 kids.

LOL - I'm left behind to look after the rabbits.

It got HOT here yesterday! Got to 84° for a high, and they were talking about dewpoints in the high 60s - first time this year I've seen anything like that! Didn't get much rain at all - .09" - but maybe a mile away they got hammered. It dropped overnight to 53°, and only going up to 60° today.

After 84° Thursday, it dropped to 57° for a high yesterday, and 53° today. Supposed to be almost normal tomorrow, and start going up again, and back to the 80s by the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom