What's your weather right now? 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend in Missouri, the winds were high and in the middle of the night last night, the smoke from the wood-burning chimney backed into the house. They were lucky to realize it before they all died of smoke inhalation. Their neighbor's fire engulfed the house and with a long driveway, the water froze in the fire truck or hoses. It was a total loss but they escaped harm.

It's not just the snow or lack of snow, the freezing ice on the roads, or the cold temperatures, it's how difficult it is to get around in the bad weather. We dress warmly, have very efficient plow trucks and even our cars break down sometimes. No one wants to be out when it is in the minus temperatures.

This storm has gotten more than average attention, no doubt. People losing electricity at this point would be disastrous for homes.

We're facing the arrival of the big storm that's been crossing the country. Based on the amount of TV time it's getting on the news, the end of the world is imminent...
Is this a New England obsession or are people this crazy about the weather elsewhere too?
New England definitely has its own take on the weather, like it doesn't happen anywhere else but here/there. Never in my life, except for when a hurricane completely obliterates a part of Florida, have I seen wall-to-wall, all weather-all the time reporting like I've seen in MA. Entire afternoons of regular programming will be pre-empted so that they can rotate between the anchor looking amazed (come ON, Ed, you were born in MA. Act like it.), the weather expert waving hands and wandering in and out of the frame while having their butt cover the spot on the map where you live, and the poor reporters who have been sent into the elements to experience the weather event so we don't have to. It's New England. Buck up. And stay inside for heaven's sake! At least all of your temperatures look like they'll have two digits.

Now, our current weather in Ohio. It's 42 degrees with rain. However, by 9 AM this morning you can take the number "4" from that temperature and you will have the predicted temperature about seven hour from now. 2. 2 degrees. Fahrenheit, just to be clear. Temperatures expected to be skinnier than Twiggy for the next 48-60 hours. While I was running around picking up the last few things before we
hunker down, I had NPR on the radio. A co-host from the show "All Things Considered" was talking to the governor of Wyoming. He said that over the last 24 hours the temperature had dropped 30 degrees. All I could think was "here, hold my hot toddy". :LOL:

BTW @Andy M., while the weather on the Cleveland station did open with weather and have a full weather forecast, the news and sports segments looked pretty much as long as normal. It will be interesting to see if that holds true tomorrow, when the storm really revs up.

Now, our current weather in Ohio. It's 42 degrees with rain. However, by 9 AM this morning you can take the number "4" from that temperature and you will have the predicted temperature about seven hour from now. 2. 2 degrees. Fahrenheit, just to be clear. Temperatures expected to be skinnier than Twiggy for the next 48-60 hours. While I was running around picking up the last few things before we
hunker down, I had NPR on the radio. A co-host from the show "All Things Considered" was talking to the governor of Wyoming. He said that over the last 24 hours the temperature had dropped 30 degrees. All I could think was "here, hold my hot toddy". :LOL:

BTW @Andy M., while the weather on the Cleveland station did open with weather and have a full weather forecast, the news and sports segments looked pretty much as long as normal. It will be interesting to see if that holds true tomorrow, when the storm really revs up.
Very similar here with high winds and a drop in temp expected this afternoon.

I'm heading for the local Wegman's when they open at 6:00 am for a few groceries and holiday treats.

I don't expect to use the car again until it's time for a New Year's Eve grocery haul, but I would like to bundle up and take a walk through the neighborhood on Christmas Eve to see the lights and decorations.

Its always the storm of the year, the Storme of the century or the storm of a lifetime.

Right now, a lot of wind and some rain.
Theoretically going temps going to drop significantly tonight.

We're facing the arrival of the big storm that's been crossing the country. Based on the amount of TV time it's getting on the news, the end of the world is imminent.

Just watching the 11:00 news. The opening salvo is about the weather. Then we go to a reporter standing outside in the rain (always struck me as silly), then we interview the shoppers, then we go to the airports. Then there's other news. Then there's a full weather report. Then there's more news and we wrap up with a weather recap.

Is this a New England obsession or are people this crazy about the weather elsewhere too?
No, they do it here in the South, too, although we're just getting wind and rain today. This is one reason why I stopped watching local news 25 years ago. It's nothing but death and destruction, with the addition of weather and traffic. I can either get the same information elsewhere or do without it.

We have a strange day coming up. Right now, it's 51F and it will get colder as the day goes on. We're supposed to have 20F by 8 pm and 16F tomorrow morning. I guess I should pick my parsley today and see what other greens I can harvest.

Last edited:
Like GotGarlic, we have stopped watching local news. Right now the broadcasters are harping on the Arctic Blast" and the weather forecasters are having a field day. They do manage to report on the latest gun or traffic fatality, and then throw in a very thinly disguised advertisement for a local business, aka "small business thrives" in some nearby town. Once there was a report on a movie theater in a small town, and how well it was doing. The next day the theater reported it was closing due to lack of business.

This is likely an historic storm. When the weather can kill you, it's not hard to be a little obsessed about it.
I wish this was the only time the weather got this much attention on the news. When we have a big snowstorm, the entire newsroom goes into "Stromcenter mode" and it's all weather all the time.

No, they do it here in the South, too, although we're just getting wind and rain today. This is one reason why I stopped watching local news 25 years ago. It's nothing but death and destruction, with the addition of weather and traffic. I can either get the same information elsewhere or do without it.
ditto

Apparently my weather decided to be an overachiever. Our temps weren't supposed to go below zero..
Screenshot_20221223_123247_WeatherBug.jpg

Dropped more than 40 degrees, too.
Screenshot_20221223_124819_Facebook~2.jpg

Needless to say, we aren't going anywhere today.

according to my weather site it is 10F, feels like -11F.
But my thermometer in the back yard say 8F, so have no idea what the 'feels like' is - but listening and watching the wind tells me it is bloody nasty!

We had a bunch of rain overnight here on the Island of Montreal, then we had some snow and the wind has started. We are expecting flash freezing any minute now, accompanied by snow squalls and followed by serious winds. The electricity has flickered a few times. Over 300,000 customers are without power in the province of Quebec. Some predictions of a quarter of all of Hydro Quebec's customers will lose electricity.

In spite of it being brightly sunny, the 15 mph winds provide a -11F temp today. Last night, with stronger winds, we were treated to -22F temps. The brass monkey is hiding under the bed.

Had rain yesterday afternoon, followed by snow. Glad I don't have to be out on the road.

Supposed to be this way for the next several days.

I had to chuckle while watching the 4PM news from Boston. The weather guy was mentioning how cold it will be for the Patriots game - the low 20s. That's certainly cold, but Cleveland will be playing while the temperatures in the single digits. And breezy. And one of the Browns tight ends plans on keeping with his normal pre-game routine...warming up shirtless. :oops: Also, apparently, common sense-less.

Is that what they call more brawn than brain?

Well, wind ripped the tarp off the fence and fence was pretending it was 20 foot waves on the high seas. Got all my gear on just in time for my son to come in and say, it's ok, got it all. oops sorry. Got all my gear off in time for DIL to say the BBQ took a nose dive off the deck.
Unfortunately it is hard "hosed-in" to the city gas lines. Put all my gear on again, turn off the gas, haul the bloody thing up an icy slope and stash as best we could under the deck.
and yes, my son did 80% of the work, me 10% work, 10% moral support. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom