What's the best spider strainer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
In another thread about making sock for chicken noodle soup, someone suggested I use a spider strainer to scoop out the solid from the broth pot.

I see a bunch of different ones on Amazon. Is there one brand or style that is better for this?

Thanks

PS: What is the difference between this section and the new Food and Cooking Gear Reviews?

Get one made of good quality stainless steel, with small holes/mesh. Oxo, Kitchen Aid, Cuisinart are generally good brands. I know there are more, just can't think of names right now.

In the reviews you are actually reviewing a specific food or gear. Here, as you are doing, are asking about a specific tool that is used with food. Not the food itself. IMHO

I use a Asian style spider that has a long wood handle and a 'web' made of wires.
1729690458806.png
1729690666753.png
here's a very poor picture of both a spider and a metal one that I call more of a strainer.

But for soup making I use a colander first for the heavy bones and spent vegies. Draining the contents into a large bowl and then using a sieve to strain the liquid back into the pot. (usually clean out the pot first).

I prefer the mesh type spider. I have a small one and a large one. They are useful for a lot of things, including getting solids out of your stock. I use them to gently lower and remove delicate things like fried fish with my deep fryer.

Mine are like the chrome one in Dragon's photo. I also have one slated one, like the one on the right, but it's not as useful. It lets a lot pas through.

CD

I used to use the metal 'strainer' type to lift out poached eggs. One day while my daughter was visiting I couldn't find it and I used the Chinese style spider. It left a criss-cross pattern on the egg when I turned it over onto the toast. She was fascinated and kept asking me how I got it on there. I wouldn't tell, but we both had a good giggle while doing the dishes and she realized.

But for soup making I use a colander first for the heavy bones and spent vegies. Draining the contents into a large bowl and then using a sieve to strain the liquid back into the pot. (usually clean out the pot fI haveIirst).
I have a couple of colanders (strainers). For my first try, I first removed the large pieces, then poured the remainder through a colander into another large tub. Then I had two large tubs/pots to clean. The spider seemed like a great alternative. I could strain the junk out of the large pot and proceed with the soup.

Does that approach not work?

Last edited:
I also have a couple of much smaller strainers with a fine mesh that I use for skimming off various liquids.

Edit:
of course it works. It doesn't matter how or what you use to strain your soup. The idea is that you are removing the solids to leave the liquid. How you do it and which tools or apparatus's you use is only what ever does the job and is most convenient for you.

I agree with you Jennifer. It does use more pots to wash but I've dropped enough gummy/greasy things at various time enough to decide - just flip it in the sink!
It is also faster to tip it than to pick.
Not forgetting that those bones can be heavy and balancing them on a slightly curved utensil is when that dropping things occur.

I have an Asian style one as described above. I use it for deep frying and to get all the solids out of the giant pot of stock. I also have a plastic one I use for other things such as poached eggs.

I agree with you Jennifer. It does use more pots to wash but I've dropped enough gummy/greasy things at various time enough to decide - just flip it in the sink!
It is also faster to tip it than to pick.
Not forgetting that those bones can be heavy and balancing them on a slightly curved utensil is when that dropping things occur.
I used a pair of tongs to remove the bones. When I was down to just slush, I then poured it through a colander as you say, in the sink.

I think I'll try the spider approach after I remove the bones. These are the strainers I currently have. The large one may be too large and the smaller ones may have handles that are too short.

A lot of the ones on Amazon look like the mesh may not be fine enough. How about this one i the attached picture?

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B087C1W4SF/

Attachments

• Strainers IMG_1228.jpg
    Strainers IMG_1228.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 2
Depending on what I will use the stock for and how much I am making, I choose different tools. If, I want the stock to be very free from bits and sediment, I usually strain through a colander and then through a colander or sieve lined with a clean tea towel. For my veggie stock, made with veggie scraps, if there is a lot, then colander then sieve, with or without a tea towel, depending on my mood. Veggie stock in smaller quantities for immediate use, probably just a fine mesh sieve or pull out the bigger bits with tongs or a spider. I have one of these flat, mesh skimmers to get rid o the scum that forms on top as one simmers a meat stock. That helps keep down the stench that cooking bones can produce.

EV262-fine-mesh-skimming-ladle-d-0554.jpg

Yes I have those, the first two (left & middle) are fine mesh strainers or skimmers. The last one (smallest) is a strainer not a skimmer. So although the mesh is finer than a larger strainer (due only because of size) it is still probably not as fine as the skimmers.
If you are going to strain a very large amount of liquid that most of the solids have been removed, you can always use cheese cloth. Just don't squeeze the bag if you wish to have a clear broth.

taxy has mentioned the stench she smells from the bones. I only get a slight boiled meat smell when using raw bones for stock.
You could brown the bones first to avoid that not to mention it really enhances your flavour base. Then with adding your carrots/celery/onion chunks to your roasted bones along with the fond scraped off and into the pot you'll probably be a very happy camper with the results.

Those Amazon.com spiders are very fine mesh. They will strain a lot of solids out.

Dragn, I agree that making stock from bones cut from raw meat, should be roasted before making stock. It will taste a lot better, and probably smell a lot better.

CD

Those Amazon.com spiders are very fine mesh. They will strain a lot of solids out.

Dragn, I agree that making stock from bones cut from raw meat, should be roasted before making stock. It will taste a lot better, and probably smell a lot better.

CD
Ok, so what's the best way to roast chicken bones from a baked chicken?

Last edited:
I consider this a fine mesh strainer. After using the Asian style spider to remove all solids bigger than a pea, I strain the stock through a men's cotton handkerchief in a strainer. That gives me a liquids only stock. I chill that so I can remove the fat that's solidified at the top and portion the remaining stock into quart-size freezer bags.

Back
Top Bottom