Kitchen Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxy, so how would you know that they are using a non-standard size stick of butter?
Only by the time you find out you've already made the recipe.
Yeah, that occurred to me too. I guess you have to read the comments and see if people think the recipe worked well. And this is one of the reasons I prefer recipes from trusted sites and the ones recommended by people here.

Measuring is the reason that I rarely bake......I rarely measure. I grew up on "a dash of this, a pinch of that." Of course, a dash is a half of a pinch. "Butter the size of a hen's egg." Are we talking about Granny's hens or Memaws? Granny's hens laid HUGE eggs. Then there is "add two half-shells of water." And there are the "throw in two handfuls of [fill in the blank]"

But you know, I love those old recipes. Even ones that call for 50 cents of beef. :love:

Measuring is the reason that I rarely bake......I rarely measure. I grew up on "a dash of this, a pinch of that." Of course, a dash is a half of a pinch. "Butter the size of a hen's egg." Are we talking about Granny's hens or Memaws? Granny's hens laid HUGE eggs. Then there is "add two half-shells of water." And there are the "throw in two handfuls of [fill in the blank]"

But you know, I love those old recipes. Even ones that call for 50 cents of beef. :love:
Well, the two half shells of water will get you the right proportion of water to go with that particular egg. I'll have to remember that one.

The discussion on spiders and sieves, etc. Reminded me of this pet peeve. I have four sieves. Two, I have had for over thirty years. The other two were bought sometime in the past five years or so. The two older ones are in decent shape. Mostly some of the wires have broken, so there are some bigger holes. I'm not sure what to call the thingamajig on the rim that isn't the handle. I'll call it a loop for now. On both of the newer ones, the loop has fallen off. That makes it hard to balance it on the edge of a container where you want the liquid. I hate that the newer stuff is such crumby quality.

One older one looks pretty much like this one.

old fashioned sieve.jpg

Here are pictures of the two newer ones.

large and small strainers with loops missing.jpg
large strainer with markup.jpg
small strainer with markup.jpg

They don't make things like they used to, that's for certain. I have some kitchen gadgets that belonged to my mother that I've been using for many years. Others that I have purchased myself in the last 10 to 15 years or so have already been replaced with newer versions because something happened with them that made them non-functional.

They don't make things like they used to, that's for certain. I have some kitchen gadgets that belonged to my mother that I've been using for many years. Others that I have purchased myself in the last 10 to 15 years or so have already been replaced with newer versions because something happened with them that made them non-functional.
Yup, the enshitification of everything.

Absolutely. Including, but not limited to, restaurant food. They're cutting corners to save money, subsequently destroying the quality of the dishes. Higher prices, lower quality products, leading to lower quality food.

I have a couple of those mesh sieves, but don't really use them that much, so they're still in okay shape. However, I have a small colander that has hooks where the loops on your sieves are located, which made it convenient for setting the colander over a bowl or a pan, but one of the hooks has broken off.

My mesh sieves don't even have those little loops.

I have a couple of sieves that are rather ancient. One has a free standing frame that clicks on. Absolutely the greatest! At least 50 yrs old. LOL the wires are separating from the collar, I've poked myself with them once or twice - but I am NOT getting rid of it!
1729722389774.png
1729722421267.png

The next is maybe 10 or 20 years younger which has two handles that can lay flat on either side and a ring on the bottom that although it doesn't hold it up in the air to drain like the one above, at least it is stable if you want to put it down.
1729722576917.png

I also have a couple like yours taxy - I get them at the Dollar $tore when I need one. But I will say I've never lost one of those little hooks, their demise is generally due to some other reason. Can't remember when I got my last one - no problems recently.

Yup, TV's sure ain't what they were back in the sixties. And I miss the good old days when I could spend my weekends fixing whatever broke on my car that week. :rolleyes:

Linda, you must get pretty rough with your strainers, or you take after my father and but the absolute cheapest version of everything. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Back
Top Bottom