What's the best spider strainer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
In another thread about making sock for chicken noodle soup, someone suggested I use a spider strainer to scoop out the solid from the broth pot.

I see a bunch of different ones on Amazon. Is there one brand or style that is better for this?

Thanks

PS: What is the difference between this section and the new Food and Cooking Gear Reviews?

Get one made of good quality stainless steel, with small holes/mesh. Oxo, Kitchen Aid, Cuisinart are generally good brands. I know there are more, just can't think of names right now.

In the reviews you are actually reviewing a specific food or gear. Here, as you are doing, are asking about a specific tool that is used with food. Not the food itself. IMHO

I use a Asian style spider that has a long wood handle and a 'web' made of wires.
1729690458806.png
1729690666753.png
here's a very poor picture of both a spider and a metal one that I call more of a strainer.

But for soup making I use a colander first for the heavy bones and spent vegies. Draining the contents into a large bowl and then using a sieve to strain the liquid back into the pot. (usually clean out the pot first).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom