The Simple Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We all love good food. Here on DC, we have a good number of accomplished cooks/chefs who can make some pretty high end preparations. But jus sometimes, it's good to go back to the simple foods that bring back great memories, or create new ones with family and friends. mayo This is what I'm talking about:

1. A fishing buddy, a pack of cold sodas kept in the ice cold fishing stream for the lunch time meal, along with a pack of cotto salami, or bologna, even potted meat, mustard, and mayo, with a loaf of good bread
  2. hot dogs cooked in an open campfire, on freshly cut willow sticks
  3. smores made fresh in the campfire
  4. potato/fish sandwiches made at camp with freshly caught, and cleaned bass, or perch
  5. watching a favorite movie, or show with kids, parents, or loved ones with a big batch of buttered pop corn
  6. burgers cooked on the grill
  7. Bacon, sausage, and pancakes cooked in cast iron over the firer
  8. A stick of pepperoni munched with Dad while watchin TV
  9. Lipton's chicken noodle soup while sitting next to a campfire on a chilly spring, or fall night
  10. PBJ's made in pie irons
  11. Grilled cheese at Grandpa's house
  12. Brach's Bridge Mix, and a variety of nuts at Grandpa's house
  13. A can of beans, heated in the can on a Coleman whitegas burner while sitting in an ice shack with a good friend
  14. Apian Way, or Chef Boyardee pizza kits for a midnight snack
  15. Jiffy Pop
  16. Tonight, it was a cup and a half of microwave heated water, and two tsp. Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken soup base. It;s what I needed tonight.
there were many more favorites that were very simple, but just hit the spot at the time. The importance was the company shared while enjoying these simple things. What were some of your favorites from childhood to now?

My Grandpa made a lot of chicken fried steak, with boiled potatoes. He had a three bladed veggie chopper, where the center blade was spring loaded and justted out from between the other two blades. He dredged the meat in seasoned flour, then used the chopper to tenderize everything. Then. The spuds were peeled, and put into the pot, and the steaks put into the electric frying pan. Pan gravy was made from the drippings. There was always some kind of canned veggie to go with it. And I loved his waffles. Never stop making them.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

17. Homemade ice cream.

(I've got a batch of French Vanilla cooling in the fridge, making it ready for the ice cream machine! Part will go to MIL on Saturday for her 87th birthday! Note: Part, not all...lol)

Back
Top Bottom