What's Your Favorite pre-cooked Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm talking about canned, or bottled pork and beans in this thread. What;s your favorite brand, and do you doctor them after opening?

My favorite brand that I don't need to doctor is B & M baked beans, in the little brown jar. I love the rich mollases flavor of these. They were my Dad's favorite as well. I sometimes chop a little fresh onion to add to them, but that's all, besides when I used to be able to eat hot dogs.

My favorite beans that I always doctor are Van Camp's Pork and Beans. They are good straight from the can, but better with a little brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke, and a bit of chili powder added. They are easy to doctor as they don't have such a strong flavor that overpowers the other flavors I like to add.

My least favorite of the big brands is Bush's Ranch Style beans. The oth's er varieties are ok, but IMHO, the dog give away the secret recipe. Of the Bush's varieties, I guess I like their\ original, and the country style versions the best.

Oh, and all beans are better with bacon added, at least for me. So sad I can't indulge in beans any more. They used to be a favorite meal.

I still remember my Dad cooking up a pot of beans. He'd put a couple of whole hot dogs in the pot, and cover them with the beans. He never doctored them. He'd then heat it all together intil piping hot, put a serving in the FireKing bean bowl, the one with the attached handles - https://www.etsy.com/listing/732756007/set-of-4-peach-lustre-laurel-fire-king?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=peach+fireking+bowls&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&frs=1
I still have a set of 6 of these bowls, and use them occasionally to remember my Dad when we's sit and share a can of beans together. Good memories.

So what's your favorite brand?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I prefer Bush's Beans, but I just get the plain beans. Not a fan of baked beans that are sweet.

The only time I ever liked (or could stand, for that matter) was when a friend made some from scratch. The beans were from her garden and hadn't been dried. The meat was bear. That's all I know about how she made them, but they were really good.

We hae had in depth discussions about beans here on DC before. But we have newer members who did't see those discussions. For all of you newer people, I'm expanding this thread.

So, all of you old and new members, tell us about your favorite bean dishes. You don't have to post a recipe, but simply a nod about any of the hundreds of bean dishes out there that make yo smle. Of course, if you want to share a recipe, that's ok too.

Here are some of my favorites:

Baked navy beans made with maple and chili powder, and ham hocks or bacon

Baked Great Northern beans in molasses, brown sugar, and bbq sause with onion and side pork

Refried balck beans

refried pinto beans

Navy bean soup

black eyed peas woth pork, onions, and black pepper

Bean Pie (made properly it is nearly indistinguishable from pumpin pie)

Three Bean Salad (ice cold)

Refried beans with cheese and Tabasco sauce

Here;s a vegetarian recipe you may enjoy if you're not into sweet bean dishes.
:intlo b\Bea\eans with Sun-dried tomato and mushrooms
2 cups Cooked pinto beans
2 tsp salt
2 cup chopped, sund-dried tomato
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
/2 yellowonion, chopped
tsp. ground black pepper
8 oz, chpped protablella mushrooms
1 tbs. sunflower oil

Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mushrooms and onions Saute until the onion is translucent. Add salt and garlic. cook for two minutes over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and a side salad.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Noth

............Used to be Campbell's, but Bush's carry the Roses now-a-days .......

Using canned more and more, as cooking for one dictates all kinds of short-cuts....

I could eat beans or every meal …

I usually use Bush's for seasoned and "ready to eat" but I doctor them

Or Goya plain beans

My favorite starts with a can of Great Value Walmart Navy Beans. 58 cent a can here. Or you can cook dried Navy beans)

Open the can and pour the contents into a colander to drain & rinse the sauce down the drain.

The sauce I prepare for the beans goes like this.

3/4 C ketchup
3/4 C dark brown sugar
1/4 C honey
1 TB BBQ sauce (I used hicory smoked)
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper

To prep:

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture barely starts to bubble, then remove from heat.

Let cool completely

Place the beans in a medium size saucepan (with lid) and add this sauce into the beans and stir until it just covers them.

Next, place the lid on the sauce pan and set the burner to a low simmer.
When you can smell the aroma of the beans (15 to 20 minutes usually) remove from the heat and allow to cool down some.

If you want to use dry beans and cook them in vegetable broth (then drain the broth and rinse) you could have a vegetarian dish in this. The store's 15.5 oz can of beans contains about 2 cups.

I get a lot of request for these. They are anything but bland and a change from the same old baked beans.

I prefer certain varieties (plural) of Bush's products - but not all of them.
for batches "Suitable for Two" I often mix ye' olde standbei Campbell's "pork&beans" with the higher flavored Bush stuff. this keeps the dish from being overpowered by 'other than normal' flavors.

of late I'm much more into starting from scratch dry beans. since the beans are not 'flavor tainted' by 'prior processing' I find the texture way gone superior to "mushed canned beans" and I have the ability to flavor the dish as I prefer.

Goya brand is best represented in my market when it comes to beans. I have a box on the shelf with all their beans from black to red to white and all the stuff in between! mix&match for chili style / side dish is an enjoyable adventure.
every Monday with draft up a meal plan for the week - so plunking a batch of dry beans into an over-night soak is not much of an issue for me....

Ummmm, Ranch Style Brand is a brand unto itself. Bush's has nothing to do with it.

Ranch Style Brand pinto beans are the only widely accepted beans to add to Texas chili. On their own, they are pretty bland. They need something else to round out some kind of robust flavor. A generous portion of bacon plus some Tex-Mex herbs and spices would do the job.

I like Bush's Black Beans. I use them a lot for Cuban black bean soup. I like that they have a large can that is perfect for my small Dutch oven.

Bush's baked beans -- funny dog, but Duke isn't enough to make me want to stock up on the beans, although they are arguably better than many of their competitors.

CD

I grew up with Grandma Brown's Baked Beans and they are still a favorite at family gatherings.

They make a great bean sandwich!

These days I buy plain canned beans as a concession to my diabetes.

"My favorite brand that I don't need to doctor is B & M baked beans, in the little brown jar."

Chief, thank you for the reminder. Since DH does all the shopping now, I have forgotten what is out there. These were my favorite for years (till I forgot about them lol) I should say, my favorite, after my mother's home made baked beans with Great Northern Beans.

I'm with you, Chief, on the Van Camps, and I doctor mine the same way (just more brown sugar). I also add ketchup or tomato sauce (sometimes BBQ sauce), bacon, onion, parsley, garlic, and a pound of diced hot dogs. Throw it all in the slow cooker on low for about 4 or 5 hours and I'm good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom