What's the best spider strainer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CD, dragn, you are both assuming that I was making stock with raw bones. I cannot remember the last time I made stock with raw bones, unless you include making chicken soup starting with a whole, raw chicken. I use already cooked bones or I roast them first. When they are already cooked, I may or may not bother roasting them.

I consider this a fine mesh strainer. After using the Asian style spider to remove all solids bigger than a pea, I strain the stock through a men's cotton handkerchief in a strainer. That gives me a liquids only stock. I chill that so I can remove the fat that's solidified at the top and portion the remaining stock into quart-size freezer bags.
But that mesh skimmer is not very handy as a plain strainer. It is handy because it is quite flat, very fine meshed, and it is easy to use for skimming.

For some reason I have 4 spiders. 2 were from the terrific Asian junk store and cost maybe $2. They are metal and have wide holes. The others look like I got them at SurLeTable (sp?) but they are plastic and have small holes.

I’ve had all four for many years and they work great.

There is a reason to seek out the “best” in many types of kitchenware and appliances, but no one needs the best spider. Go to the dollar store or find a fun Asian store.

I betcha you could make your own soup sock with tubular gauze. Just tie a knot in one end, fill in your stock ingredients, and then cut to size and tie another knot. Would it be cheaper? I dunno 🤷🏽‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom