2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had mountains of it!) I made two thirds of the recipe and still ended up throwing half of it away. Deeply frustrating and wasteful.)
Next time you have leftover meringue, plop it or pipe it onto parchment paper, place the meringues in a slow oven, 200f-250f, for an hour, turn the oven off, don’t open the door, let them continue drying for several hours or overnight. If the gods are with you the meringues should be dry and crisp.

If the meringues are small you can sandwich them with jam or melted chocolate after they cool.

LOL, yes the swirls are perfect!

I was also thinking about the size. Is it not larger than the smalls but smaller than the large? I've always been a middle of the road gal.
Ha ha, no, it looks like that, but I can confirm it was the same size as the smaller ones. (blame it on the poor photography, which, as it happens, was me.)

Next time you have leftover meringue, plop it or pipe it onto parchment paper, place the meringues in a slow oven, 200f-250f, for an hour, turn the oven off, don’t open the door, let them continue drying for several hours or overnight. If the gods are with you the meringues should be dry and crisp.

If the meringues are small you can sandwich them with jam or melted chocolate after they cool.
Or, make Eton Mess!! Always a hit...

Aunt Bea, can't you just be at my shoulder? I actually thought about this. And then I thought it would take so many hours in the oven (and the expense). If I thought it would only have been an hour, I would have done it.

Or, make Eton Mess!! Always a hit...
I love Eton Mess, and when I was looking at the bowl of (really quite delicious) meringue, that is exactly what I was thinking of. I think I have been getting a bit too obsessed about not using my oven. Throwing away food (okay Meringue) is wasteful. I thought it would take many hours to dry out the meringue in the oven, which would have outweighed any benefit. The oven was already hot. A mistake on my part.

And this is why forums exist!

I have been down and out again, but I'm up swingin' for the fences!
IMG_3158.JPG

Banana Nut Muffins, in two sizes
IMG_3155.JPG

Corn Bread, which I have been ono (that's Hawaii speak for, 'I'm really hungry for') for. We had it for breakfast, toasted and topped with Maple Syrup (my plate had loads of Butter and Honey, how I like it best).
IMG_3164.JPG

ATK's Chewy Oatmeal (and Craisins) Cookies ... they're HUGE and oh so tasty!

Katy, you can freeze egg whites. I used to freeze them in ice cube trays. Then pop them in a zip bag. Frozen they are still good for making meringue.

I have a dozen or more recipes to make various things with meringue. LOL only done a couple of them. All desserts... duh...
Cute at Christmas/Easter time are mushrooms.
1695470411484.png
(picture from Anna Olsen)
1695470446523.png
My pics
1695470611333.png

Mom put a light mint taste in them and chocolate shavings with a bit of sugar. SOOO good and crispy.

CG I have never heard of putting lemon curd in or on a scone! I did make "proper" lemon curd one time, many, many years ago, and my general memory is that it was nice....
My apologies, @KatyCooks. I thought it was a British thing. Lemon curd is one of the "props" that show up in a cozy mystery series I read that is based in Charleston, SC. The tea shop that is the main setting for the protagonist often mentions clotted cream and lemon curd offered as toppings for the scones. Jams, also, are offered frequently. All I know is that I wish Theodosia Browning's tea shop really existed. In our several trips to Charleston, I have yet to find any tea shop.

CG - There was a tea shoppe here in Waterdown! I put that on my list for checking out local things after I got settled in. But that very fall it closed before I ever got there! Evidently had been there for many years, looked very popular as I passed by, but sadly the owner just wanted to retire.

My apologies, @KatyCooks. I thought it was a British thing. Lemon curd is one of the "props" that show up in a cozy mystery series I read that is based in Charleston, SC. The tea shop that is the main setting for the protagonist often mentions clotted cream and lemon curd offered as toppings for the scones. Jams, also, are offered frequently. All I know is that I wish Theodosia Browning's tea shop really existed. In our several trips to Charleston, I have yet to find any tea shop.
Now you all got me wanting lemon curd. LOL I have a great recipe I make in my Instant Pot. I'll have to do that soon. And make some biscuits.

My mom and grandma used to make Lemon Curd. I also had it at tea with the British kids while in Europe. I've always thought of it as British. It was on the 'chalk board menu' but only clotted creme was available for the scones that day. It was at a little place in Cornwall.

Today I made another loaf of rye bread - something I'll pair with that braunschweiger, in these next few days of even hotter weather we're supposed to have. I started it early today, with a small rye sponge, then I made a version of my Russian black bread, using some buttermilk as the liquid, instead of a tb of vinegar with water, and I used WW flour, instead of white flour, with the bran. Otherwise, pretty much the same, and I just made a single, 2 lb loaf. And, ohhhh that smells good baking, as always! I didn't run out of caraway, but came close, and I have another lb of seeds coming tomorrow! That's one spice that they don't have in the Indian market - what they sometimes have labeled "caraway", is actually another seed - shah jeerah - so I have to order regular caraway.

Single Russian black bread loaf, almost ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished loaf of Russian black bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I was poking around looking for Fall/Thanksgiving recipes and stumbled on to this sweet potato casserole.

I’ve never noticed it before but there are several variations.

It makes me wonder which came first the marshmallows or the meringue. 🤔🤭😉

Back
Top Bottom