2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The recipe only calls for one cookie.

I would use a similar amount of plain dry cracker, cookie or even bread crumbs that you happen to have on hand.

I think the purpose of the crumbs is to absorb liquid from the peach filling.
Yes, I agree, and I don't really buy biscuits (cookies), so I feel sure something else would work.

In fact, if I just egg wash the base, I can't see why I would need to put anything else on there?

Last edited:
It’s similar to the crust for jam bars, date bars, lemon bars, etc…

I would use it as an inexpensive alternative to crumb crusts made with cookie and cracker crumbs.

I’m afraid that some juicy fruit pie fillings would mingle with the crumb mixture and make a gloppy mess.

I would only use it for recipes that it is paired with and not use it as a universal one size fits all pie dough.

That makes a lot of sense Aunt Bea! Some things are just too easy! I am going to go with a traditional approach, and do the eggwash that GG suggested.
Jacques Pépin mentions that in a video for an apple galette. His solution is to sprinkle some frangipane on the dough.

I've never seen it that small, either. We have a similar type "wild rucola" growing in our fields. Goes very well with mozzarella!

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_112700.jpg
    IMG_20220918_112700.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 26
Have you posted that recipe somewhere?
Long time ago.

Long time ago.

Thank you

I saw this in the September edition of the Sainsburys food mag and thought it looks truly delicious! I'm not much of a one for eating sweet things, nor indeed that much of a baker, but I am going to have to give this a go. Unfortunately, the recipe serves "8 - 10" which is far too much, so I am going to have to adapt it. I have ordered some individual tart tins and will probably do about half the recipe. View attachment 65981
View attachment 65982

I won't be using fresh peaches - UK peaches are invariably hard, and sour! So I think tinned peaches makes sense. I bet this is nothing like authentic - but it looks so nice I just have to give it a go!
Can you even make a meringue in England? I've never tried to make one because 1) it's difficult to make on a hot or humid day and 2) I can still hear my Mom cussing every time she had a "fail" with her meringue. :LOL:

If you can buy frozen peach slices, those would probably work better than canned.

My absolute favorite peach pie is fresh (uncooked) peach pie. Much easier to make. Blind bake a pastry crust. Dredge fresh (or, in your case, frozen or canned) peaches through a glaze made from sugar, water, and peach trimmings (or a could slices). Drain the glaze from the peach slices as you layer them in the baked pastry crust. Top with fresh whipped cream. Enjoy.

Can you even make a meringue in England? I've never tried to make one because 1) it's difficult to make on a hot or humid day and 2) I can still hear my Mom cussing every time she had a "fail" with her meringue. :LOL:
I thought it was interesting that the meringue recipe called for brown sugar.

I’ve never had one made that way but I think that it would make a nice finish for a traditional pumpkin pie.

My mother’s no fail mile high meringue used a homemade stabilizer.

Stabilizer for one mile high meringue.

1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T corn starch
Dash of salt

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in small saucepan and work together with the back of a spoon to remove lumps in cornstarch. Add boiling water and cook together for a few minutes until thickened. Cool to room temperature covered to prevent a skin from forming.

Meringue
Beat three egg whites until stiff peaks form, add cooled cornstarch mixture and beat until incorporated. Top pie with meringue and bake in a preheated 375f oven for 12-15 minutes.

Sadly, all of the old timers in my family that enjoyed meringue are gone.

Last edited:
It's bread baking time again! Something I just had to do, when it got so cool. When I set that buttermilk to cure (I always make my own BM, and yogurt) overnight, I had about 3/4 c milk, plus almost that much BM leftover, that didn't go into the container with the milk, and I used that for the liquid, and I made a sponge, with that and some rye flour, to ferment overnight. The buttermilk was thick by about 9 am, but I left the sponge until about 7 pm, to make the bread. It's mostly WW and rye, with a little white added at the end, only because I ran out of WW (not really ran out, but the rest is in the freezer). As soon as I start getting more dill weed outside, I'm going to have to make some of that Dilly Rye I haven't made for a long time, but is delicious.
A loaf of rye bread, I had to bake, since it got so cool here! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the recipe for my boterkoek:
Boterkoek.jpg

If you can buy frozen peach slices, those would probably work better than canned.

My absolute favorite peach pie is fresh (uncooked) peach pie. Much easier to make. Blind bake a pastry crust. Dredge fresh (or, in your case, frozen or canned) peaches through a glaze made from sugar, water, and peach trimmings (or a could slices). Drain the glaze from the peach slices as you layer them in the baked pastry crust. Top with fresh whipped cream. Enjoy.
Well CG, I certainly wish I'd seen your version! Honestly, I started making this Peach Pie recipe today and only got halfway. I haven't given up, but having used almost every utensil, bowl and gadget, the mess was making me frantic! I also have some sort of "buyers remorse" because, having decided that the recipe was too big, I ordered mini tart cases (fairly pricey ones) from Amazon. They arrived and were so shallow I was worried about getting much filling in them. So yesterday, while in Sainsburys doing my weekly shop, I "happened" along to the kitchen section, and what do I see but deeper tart tins! So I bought those too. :rolleyes: (At this point, I should mention, I already have large ceramic x 3, small ceramic x 6, and loose-bottomed metal tart tins x 2 - some of which are still in the attic as I just don't have room for them in my very small kitchen.) I think I may have a kitchenalia buying problem.
Back to the Peach Pie. The pastry is made and the filling is made. Tomorrow I will roll out the pastry, do the blind baking etc and make the pesky Meringue! (And yes it IS possible to make meringue in the UK CG! You just have to really work at it!) What I am wondering is what to do with the 6 egg yolks that will be left over?

Well CG, I certainly wish I'd seen your version! Honestly, I started making this Peach Pie recipe today and only got halfway. I haven't given up, but having used almost every utensil, bowl and gadget, the mess was making me frantic! I also have some sort of "buyers remorse" because, having decided that the recipe was too big, I ordered mini tart cases (fairly pricey ones) from Amazon. They arrived and were so shallow I was worried about getting much filling in them. So yesterday, while in Sainsburys doing my weekly shop, I "happened" along to the kitchen section, and what do I see but deeper tart tins! So I bought those too. :rolleyes: (At this point, I should mention, I already have large ceramic x 3, small ceramic x 6, and loose-bottomed metal tart tins x 2 - some of which are still in the attic as I just don't have room for them in my very small kitchen.) I think I may have a kitchenalia buying problem.
Back to the Peach Pie. The pastry is made and the filling is made. Tomorrow I will roll out the pastry, do the blind baking etc and make the pesky Meringue! (And yes it IS possible to make meringue in the UK CG! You just have to really work at it!) What I am wondering is what to do with the 6 egg yolks that will be left over?
I would probably add some milk/cream, a dash of salt, nutmeg, a spoon of sugar and a splash of vanilla to make French toast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom