2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never seen arugula that small. Are they seedlings/sprouts? Looks like it would be great on a sandwich.
They're local and they sell all types of micro greens. Normally we buy radish and pea sprouts. For sandwiches normally I just use regular arugula and as the season goes on the arugula comes in different sizes as well. I've been known to use arugula for chimichurri as well.

They were one of the few micro greens I didn't like, I tried them because I thought they would be better than the full Arugula, which I don't like, but nope, didn't like the babies either. :LOL:

I love arugula/rocket. I like the bitter taste on its own or in a salad. I hate a bland salad.

Made some focaccia.

20230205_144852.jpg

Looks so good. But I can't read the recipe.
:(
Sorry Msmofet - there isn't an online link I can share, but I have chopped it into three to see if it is a bit more readable!
Oh my aching bones... LOL Katy, that recipe has truly been translated into "British".

Ginger nut, digestive or hobnob biscuit

msmofet, I've have to really really squint, but can just make it out.

oh, gather ye thy ginger nuts!
I don't even like any of those biscuits! What other types would be good? I guess they are supposed to add some crunch (so need to be fairly robust if they are not to go soggy when the filling goes on top)?

Attachments

• Peach Pie recipe part 1.jpg
    Peach Pie recipe part 1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Peach Pie recipe part 2.jpg
    Peach Pie recipe part 2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Peach Pie recipe part 3.jpg
    Peach Pie recipe part 3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I bought a loaf of focaccia from Fortino's the other day. Polished it off in 2.5 days. Ohh, my aching belly.
Yours looks just great pictonguy! soo yummy!

Ooh - my individual tart cases have just arrived (along with a silicone ring we were discussing on here a while ago to protect pie crusts). Seems I must do some baking this weekend and that Peach Pie is calling to me!

Sorry Msmofet - there isn't an online link I can share, but I have chopped it into three to see if it is a bit more readable!

I don't even like any of those biscuits! What other types would be good? I guess they are supposed to add some crunch (so need to be fairly robust if they are not to go soggy when the filling goes on top)?
Vanilla wafers or shortbread cookies would be delicious Brush the crust with egg wash and bake it for about 10 minutes to create a barrier so you won't have a soggy bottom 😉 😁 🤣

I have a question for the bakers here. Lately, I have seen a lot of people on TV who make pastry in a food processor so that it comes to a crumblike texture. (So far, so good, and I have no issue with that at all.) But then, they just press the crumbly mixture into a pie tin and put it in the fridge. (Thus bypassing the whole rolling out and lining phase.) Seems like a great and time saving idea - what's the catch?

It’s similar to the crust for jam bars, date bars, lemon bars, etc…

I would use it as an inexpensive alternative to crumb crusts made with cookie and cracker crumbs.

I’m afraid that some juicy fruit pie fillings would mingle with the crumb mixture and make a gloppy mess.

I would only use it for recipes that it is paired with and not use it as a universal one size fits all pie crust.

That makes a lot of sense Aunt Bea! Some things are just too easy! I am going to go with a traditional approach, and do the eggwash that GG suggested.

I make my regular pie crusts (for apple, blueberry or pecan pies for example) in a food processor. It's just a different way to combine ingredients. The finished product is no different from the same crust recipe mixed by different means.

I also use the FP to make pizza dough.

I think I would go with the Ginger Snaps (as we call them here) for the crust. Of course, I love Ginger Snaps anyhow.

Yes, I too, make both my pie crusts and pasta dough in the food Processor. Katy, rather than press them directly into the pie plate, dump your dough out and squeeze to form a disc by hand, wrap and refrigerate your regular time, then roll.

The recipe only calls for one cookie.

I would use a similar amount of plain dry cracker, cookie or even bread crumbs that you happen to have on hand.

I think the purpose of the crumbs is to absorb liquid from the peach filling.

I'm absolutely fine with making the dough in the FP. It's the "pressing into the pie case" rather than rolling out that is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom