2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not consistent enough to do a nice job on slicing bread for sandwiches...so, a few months back I got a gadget for that. I love it and it is made in the USA! Folds up flat to store in a drawer too.

My thoughtful stepdaughter gifted me a similar bread slicer last year. It has three different thickness options.

bliss, the picture you posted of the loaf of WW bread sliced, YOU sliced that!?!?!?!!! Wow! I used to be able to slice my bread with a bit of consistency but never like that and not any more.

I too got a bread slicer, very similar to Ginny's. Even though it folded flat, my area is just too small. I ended up sending it back. I got the small white plastic one, a whole lot cheaper, that you see on Amazon. It has multiple slots for thicknesses. It is limited to some dimensions of the the over-all loaf but it works for me. If I make a crusty loaf I can still wing-it free style.

@dragnlaw yes, I can usually slice my bread pretty evenly. Today I had 4 loaves and sliced 14 twice and 15 twice. Had the bread been even firmer I would have sliced 16 slices/loaf. As long as it fits in the toaster I'm good to go.

I never slice all of my bread in advance, and I definitely don't slice it before freezing - just looses too much moisture that way. Sometimes I slice another pair of slices, for a later sandwich, but that's all.

I found these little cake pans (7") at Aldi, so I wanted to make a small cake. It's a chocolate cake with buttercream filling and chocolate ganache on top. Pretty tasty! And a plus is that it even looked pretty.
20230901_161412 (1).jpg
20230901_195446 (1).jpg

Because there are less calories in small 3-layer cakes than larger 2-layer cakes... :whistling AND it's just two of us and cakes start to dry out a lot within a few days. It takes up less room to store. And, most importantly, it really IS cute! :in_love:

Oh, it is also fits really well on great-grandma's cake plate! :D

Last edited:
Honey & orange zest cake
Honingtulband.jpg

It's a mish-mash of recipes. Since it is a small (7-inch) springform pan, I made 1/2 of a graham cracker crust recipe and baked it for 10 minutes to get it to set. Then I topped the cooled crust with 2/3 of a "no-bake" cheesecake recipe that I found online, which is in my CMT. While the cheesecake cooled in the fridge, I whipped up 1/2 of the recipe for a fresh peach glaze (part of another recipe on CMT called peaches and cream.) The glaze needed to cool, so I washed up as it cooled and then peeled and sliced two peaches. I dipped each slice in the glaze and placed them on top of the cheesecake filling in bare spots with the extra glaze. Then into the refrigerator for minimally 4 hours and done!

SO made an apple crisp today. I don't usually care for it as I don't like the "crisp" part. I didn't photograph but did manage to scoop a big spoonful of it from a corner of the pan and it tasted quite good. She promptly grabbed the spot from my hand and also had a spoonful.

It's a mish-mash of recipes. Since it is a small (7-inch) springform pan, I made 1/2 of a graham cracker crust recipe and baked it for 10 minutes to get it to set. Then I topped the cooled crust with 2/3 of a "no-bake" cheesecake recipe that I found online, which is in my CMT. While the cheesecake cooled in the fridge, I whipped up 1/2 of the recipe for a fresh peach glaze (part of another recipe on CMT called peaches and cream.) The glaze needed to cool, so I washed up as it cooled and then peeled and sliced two peaches. I dipped each slice in the glaze and placed them on top of the cheesecake filling in bare spots with the extra glaze. Then into the refrigerator for minimally 4 hours and done!
Thank you! Sounds Heavenly!

When I used the masa harina for cornbread, I didn't use any flour - I figured the baking powder would give it enough of a rise and I wanted to see what the flavor would be like. It worked perfectly and we love it.

Also, here's a tip from Uncle Bob: turn on the oven, put 1/4 cup oil in a cast iron skillet, swirl it around and put it in the oven to preheat. Make the rest of the batter and pour it into the hot pan, then bake. That gives you a nice crispy crust. So good.
I use Chungah's (Damn Delicious) recipe for buttermilk cornbread. She calls for 3T of butter to melt into the skillet. It's a very tasty cornbread, and not too moist/not too dry.

Because there are less calories in small 3-layer cakes than larger 2-layer cakes... :whistling AND it's just two of us and cakes start to dry out a lot within a few days. It takes up less room to store. And, most importantly, it really IS cute! :in_love:

Oh, it is also fits really well on great-grandma's cake plate! :D
That's the best reason of all! You get to use a family heirloom. Using something that used to be my Mom's always makes the food taste just a wee bit better. :heart:

For today's installment of Charming Delights (aka "I made it because it is cute but it is delicious,") I made a 7 inch cheesecake with fresh peach topping that is dipped in a peach glaze. I have to say that I am having a lot of fun with my little desserts!
View attachment 65911View attachment 65912View attachment 65913
Have you checked out Christina Lane's website, "Desserts for Two"? Just Cooking (Ross - I miss your posts...) mentioned that site a few times. She has worked hard to downsize family recipes from lots of servings to just two (or, maybe four, if you exercise self-control). I've made a number of her recipes and we've always been pleased. And everything she bakes is cute! :stuart: She even has recipes for non-dessert foods. I personally haven't bothered with those...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom