2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right this Minute I have a Marie Callender lattice top cherry pie in the oven. It will be done in approximaely 50 minutes, then it needs to cool for at least an hour or when you remove the first piece, the filling will fill the gap.

I used to buy those mini-pies from Wally World for 50¢, and I thought that ws a pretty good deal.
But they raised the pirice to 74¢ and reduced the amount of filling, which made them worthless.

Used a recipe from my bread machine for a 1.5 lb loaf of onion bread. Weighed the dough and formed some buns as I cut off pieces to get down to 1 lb for the 1 lb Pullman pan.

Guess I could have left one of the chunks on the main loaf as the corners didn't fill out fully.
Onion Bread, 1st  23.08.06.jpg

Could also have cooked it maybe another 5 minutes or so, but the temperature was at 205 so figured they were done. But this bread is really soft! Thankfully I have a bread guide for slicing. Might be easier to slice tomorrow.
sliced onion 23.08.06.jpg

Used a recipe from my bread machine for a 1.5 lb loaf of onion bread. Weighed the dough and formed some buns as I cut off pieces to get down to 1 lb for the 1 lb Pullman pan.

Guess I could have left one of the chunks on the main loaf as the corners didn't fill out fully.
View attachment 65451
Could also have cooked it maybe another 5 minutes or so, but the temperature was at 205 so figured they were done. But this bread is really soft! Thankfully I have a bread guide for slicing. Might be easier to slice tomorrow.
View attachment 65452
YUM! Recipe pretty please.

I’m a big fan of crumb crusts!

They make life so much easier and the possibility of pie so much more likely! 😉
That's so true! It was super simple to make, with melted butter stirred into the dough, instead of having to combine cold butter and flour, etc. And it has 1/3 cup of cornmeal in it (I used masa harina because I don't keep regular cornmeal in the house anymore), which gives it a little extra toasty flavor. I have a huge bag of masa harina, so I'll make it again soon.

That's so true! It was super simple to make, with melted butter stirred into the dough, instead of having to combine cold butter and flour, etc. And it has 1/3 cup of cornmeal in it (I used masa harina because I don't keep regular cornmeal in the house anymore), which gives it a little extra toasty flavor. I have a huge bag of masa harina, so I'll make it again soon.
What's up with "regular cornmeal"? Just curious.

What's up with "regular cornmeal"? Just curious.
One day I wanted to make cornbread and I didn't have any regular cornmeal in the house. I had masa harina, though, so I used that and I liked it better. So I stopped buying cornmeal and I use masa harina whenever cornmeal is called for. It's one less dry good I have to store.

It's nixtamalized, so the seed husk has been removed before grinding. I think that gives it a more pure corn flavor.

One day I wanted to make cornbread and I didn't have any regular cornmeal in the house. I had masa harina, though, so I used that and I liked it better. So I stopped buying cornmeal and I use masa harina whenever cornmeal is called for. It's one less dry good I have to store.

It's nixtamalized, so the seed husk has been removed before grinding. I think that gives it a more pure corn flavor.
Interesting! Thanks!

I have frequently used masa harina, instead of cornmeal, as I have always loved that nixtamal flavor. I used to make cornbread with that, to eat with Mexican and similar dishes, before corn tortillas were readily available. It does absorb a little more liquid, so I add a little more milk, buttermilk, or whatever the liquid is. And it's finer than regular CM, and if you would prefer the coarser texture, there is a type of masa for tamales, that is slightly coarser, though I only see that at the Mexican grocery.

I have frequently used masa harina, instead of cornmeal, as I have always loved that nixtamal flavor. I used to make cornbread with that, to eat with Mexican and similar dishes, before corn tortillas were readily available. It does absorb a little more liquid, so I add a little more milk, buttermilk, or whatever the liquid is. And it's finer than regular CM, and if you would prefer the coarser texture, there is a type of masa for tamales, that is slightly coarser, though I only see that at the Mexican grocery.
Do you happen to have a good recipe for corn bread made with masa? I have never been a huge fan of corn bread and DH dislikes it. So, I haven't made it in decades. Today I learned that he finds it incredibly, "chokingly" dry. I don't remember ever making corn bread that was particularly dry. I do think that I would enjoy the flavour more with nixtamalized corn. I just really don't want to risk it being dry.

@taxlady Here's a basic cornbread recipe, that I just increased the masa in, and reduced the flour, and increased the milk by ¼ c. The original recipe had 1/4 c sugar as an option, but I have just 2 tsp. Another way of making it, I remember from an old James Beard book, is using heavy cream in place of the milk and butter, which is easier, if you have that on hand.

1¼ c masa harina
3/4 c AP flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (or as desired)
1¼ c milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c melted butter

Grease a 9x9 pan, lining with parchment, if desired.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, then make a well in it. Add the milk and eggs, and beat together briefly, followed by the butter, then whisk together with the dry ingredients. Pour into pan, leveling the top, and let rest 10 minutes, while preheating oven to 425°. Bake about 25 minutes, or until it tests done, with a toothpick.

Thank you very much Dave. If I wanted to use heavy cream, would I just add the volume of the milk to the volume of butter and use that amount? I sometimes do have heavy cream that needs to be used soon.

taxy, the few times I've subbed heavy cream for milk it was 1/2 cream and 1/2 the milk, it didn't make too much difference other than a bit more moist, which I liked. I think it actually was cornbread but I can't remember for sure.
I also agree with your DH, so although I like cornbread, I don't make it anymore and when I have it elsewhere, I smother it in butter. For some reason the grittyness of the cornmeal seems to make it dry. (whether from scratch or a mix)

TL, All you would need to get that 2 oz of butter would be a half cup of 40% cream, but you need more milk, so 1 c milk and 1/2 c heavy cream would give you 1¼ c milk, plus the ¼ c butter. The 50/50 suggested by dragn would give a little more butter, and probably give a really moist bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom