No one eating anymore, Thursday, September 5, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Shredded chicken mole negro, with an avocado and pickled red onion salad.

20240905_181521.jpg

Sure!

Happy Hour!

Spelt pizza for me with basil and parsley from our garden and I sauteed on-sale mushrooms with onions to top it. Marinated on-sale mozzarella the day before, again with our herbs. Drank a strawberry lime Truly.

DH had regular on-sale frozen pizza with same toppings, some Scotch and then a beer. His fries got too hard in the oven, boo.

Last night I made an Indian dish, that I got a craving for the night before, when I made a batch of sambar masala, since I had run out of that, plus I have all that curry tree that I have to trim. I used about 1/2 c packed leaves, for the masala, then 2 more stems, of stripped leaves in the tarka, for the tempering of the dish. I just made a typical sambar type dish, starting by cooking about 2 c of okra, cut into 1/2-3/4" pieces in the Instant Pot sauté mode about 5 min - this sort of cooks the slime on the okra, and it doesn't get like when put right into the liquid. That is removed to a plate, then an onion in a little oil in the Instant Pot, then a little of that garlic/ginger paste I keep in the freezer and that fresh sambar masala, cooked about a min, then added about a lb of puréed tomatoes, and cooked it down, while I got other things ready. Then, I added about 1/2 c chana dal, and 1/3 c each toor dal and whole oats, plus about 5 c water, some salt, and 1 large potato, diced, and covered the IP, and set to 8 min Manual (more to come). When pressure was down, I removed the lid, stirred a little more water in, as it was thick, and added the 2 diced eggplants, simmered about 5 min, then added the okra back to it, set the IP to 2 min manual - with the heating up time, and the release time, this worked out to be just right, for the legumes, oats, and veggies. I then tempered it, using some mustard seeds and cumin seeds in a little oil (I usually put a good number of dried hot peppers in, but I was sharing this with someone who didn't want those), followed by the asafoetida and curry leaves, until crispened, then poured onto the curry. That's stirred in, with about 1/4c chopped cilantro, to finish the dish.
The tarka added to the dish, with 2 dal and some whole oats, mixed with several veggies, plus some new sambar masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished sambar style dish, with a large potato, 2 eggplant, and about 2 cups of cut okra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom