What kind of Jewish Ashkenazi foods do you know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i ordered a lot of this food from a restaurant and want to see who is a bit familiar here.

personally im not ashkenazi but i like the food..
i dont eat many things but some of them i do..

if you want some pictures let me know

something to die for is the sweet salty peppery big white beans that are served cold. it is just a snack but a good one.. its called בובעס in haredi communities..

if i already asked in the past (there is a chance) let me know. i ask a lot on the internet and dont always remember what i already asked..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240830-234006.png
    Screenshot_20240830-234006.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 28
בובעס
I don't know that I've heard of it, ever.
Sweet, salty, hot, that sounds delicious. What kind of beans are used? Fava, lima, other?
Google translates it to 'babes'.
בובעס

i think its lima beans. it is the biggest white bean. i included a picture too

i guess this is just a nick name for the snack

sorry
it is not even similar.
i can search for a hebrew recipe for בובעס
and then we can translate with a translator app..

edit.. i didnt find one

here are some pictures of different dumplings, potato kugel, cholnet, kishke, rice, smoked beef breast, and more

Attachments

• IMG_20240829_182751.jpg
    IMG_20240829_182751.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240830_184319.jpg
    IMG_20240830_184319.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240830_130713.jpg
    IMG_20240830_130713.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm familiar with this Montreal food. I'm pretty sure it qualifies as Ashkenazi food. In Quebec, we call it "smoked meat". Elsewhere, it's called "Montreal style smoked meat". I'll put a link to the Wikipedia article. I thought it was quite interesting. It gives some history of this food.

1apoehzw5v721.jpg

I worked in a well-known building, Place Ville Marie, when I first moved to Montreal, PQ. Just below the mezzanine was the food court, the line-up for a smoked meat was always very long. You rushed from the office to the elevators to get there and this was my "go-to" when I bought my lunch. Delish! Exactly like your picture taxy! It was a few years before I ever got to "Bens" or "Dunn's" for a smoked meat.

You can cheat and make something similar using canned chick peas. 😉

That recipe seems very close to the description of flavors and first picture and of the post.
Some of the recipes for arbes ashkenazi (Arbes – אַרבעס) chickpeas, cook the dry beans with water, sugar, salt, and pepper in an IP.

I would try that.
There's another simple recipe for something similar, Korean soy beans-seasoned and cooked until dry and caramelized with soy sauce (the salty part), and sugar (the sweet part), usually garnished with sesame seeds. I make it once in a while for having on salads.

the only food that isnt askenazi is the smoked beef. in america the jewish used to make brisket. but smoking it is not that old..
so its the only exception.
i ordered it because i wanted to taste.

ashkenazi food was prepared in europe.
but when some jewish people came to america they changed it to some extent.

and so did you like the smoked beef?
very nice
but i will eat it only occasionally
actually i had a smoker in the past but i didn't always had a good results back then. i had more success with short ribs than brisket.

what do you think?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom