I was gifted a bottle of Cognac, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use any mushrooms you want/have. Those are what I had on hand after making some Asian dishes. I've made it with just white buttons and/or baby bellas.
Yes, you can use any kind of mushrooms. White ones from the supermarket are fine, as are more interesting ones.

I’d encourage everyone to have dried porcinis on hand for a million different reasons. Umami bomb and also delicious.

Yes, you can use any kind of mushrooms. White ones from the supermarket are fine, as are more interesting ones.

I’d encourage everyone to have dried porcinis on hand for a million different reasons. Umami bomb and also delicious.
I grind mine dried porcinis into powder and add to lots of stuff like meatloaf for one.

Consider using part for a Cognac simple syrup. Drizzled on fruit, sealing a cake, flavoring a ganache, flavoring a granita/sorbet, etc.

FWIW, Dry Sherry is my go to for mushrooms.

Brandy is a great addition to apple pie. I make a pie where the sliced apples are slightly cooked in a skillet prior to stuffing the pie. This reduces the water content in the apples so you have more apple and less thickener in your pie. At the end of the cooking, pour in 1/4 C of brandy and steam off the alcohol. It substantially intensifies the filling flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom