Eggs, getting eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reached under a chicken and she laid her egg in my hand.
Of course then she promptly pecked me and I almost dropped it.

How many of you had forgotten that egg in your pocket? Aside from the ominous crunch when you lean on something, or the crunch you don't hear and then stick you hand into a gooey mess.
One Spring I put on a vest I rarely wore and found a desiccated crushed egg.

Have you ever been to Key West, Florida?

Chickens run loose all over town. Big rabbits, too.

CD

No, never been there. And I'm just as happy to never see Florida again. I was in the Ft Lauderdale area once and my friends had 3 acres with 10ft fencing. Their dogs couldn't go beyond the patio at night because of snakes. Believe me, between the gators, the snakes, and the weird people there, I'll survive just fine without Florida.

Speaking of eggs (so we stay on topic), Casey, how are you doing in Dallas? Are you going to be in the hurricane zone at all? I have a friend in Brownwood and he's still convinced the hurricane is going to come across his area.

dMany towns allow a small backyard flock - very small mind you, but still allowed. BUT absolutely no roosters are allowed.

BTW they can crow earlier than that. I had quite a flock or rooster hatch one year. They would wake up with passing vehicles and if one happened to crow they would all start. 3, 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning, didn't matter to them - they saw a light!
My poor neighbours, I couldn't hear them but they could. When I moved them away from the road, I could hear them but then they couldn't see a light from the road so I was fine!

No, never been there. And I'm just as happy to never see Florida again. I was in the Ft Lauderdale area once and my friends had 3 acres with 10ft fencing. Their dogs couldn't go beyond the patio at night because of snakes. Believe me, between the gators, the snakes, and the weird people there, I'll survive just fine without Florida.

I don't like much of Florida, either. But, Key West is not like most of Florida -- or most of the US. I went there about 15 years ago (?) with my girlfriend at the time, and we loved it.

CD

We went to the Keys when I was quite young (maybe 14/15?) Dad wanted to do bone fishing(?). I went for a walk up the sands until I got tired then turn around and headed back, was so tired didn't know if I would make it. But here's the interesting part, had just seen a documentary on a creature that traveled leaving S marks in the sand. I stayed exactly 1/2 way between water and dunes, so I could run in any direction should I happen to come across one 'making those S's'! - Never walked so far alone from populated area again.

Florida then and now is quite different. You'd have to go WAY out west to have to worry about snakes at night. Even when we lived about a mile from the eastern edge of the Everglades and less than half a mile from a mitigation area (area maintained in natural state that land developers have to fund to be able to develop land elsewhere), we didn't worry about snakes or gators, other than a very rare sighting, no more than you would anywhere else as far as snakes.

It's bonefish fishing. They supposedly put up a great fight for fisherman.

There are  characters everywhere. Granted, there are places in Florida where a lot of them congregate, but for some of them it's just a shtick to make easy money.

Honestly, Key West is just a HUGE overpriced tourist trap, always has been, since I was in 20s at least. We'd go to the upper and middle Keys if we wanted a relaxing vacation not far from home.

Bonefish fishing, LOL, OK got it, thanks! My dad loved fishing and although he was just as frugal as my mom I think we were in Florida for about 3 weeks. For a family with 5 kids (not sure if eldest bro was there) must have been a penny spent. But - he loved fishing and so therefore it was money well spent - as far as he was concerned. We did all the touristy things, deep sea fishing, etc. I loved it.
Only time I actually saw a snicketypoosna was much later, probably mid 90's? On the west coast, my ex and I had each just delivered a couple of cars, we took a couple of days to go up the coast and stop at beaches on the way. I went back to the car park to fetch something and saw one take off into the dune grass. there was quite a high water mark that had eaten under the grass a bit, making a bit of a cliff. People would put their towels there and lean against it, which my ex had also done....... um... no way, thank you very much. Even then I sat with my back to the water, just to watch the grass edge. I know, highly unlikely, but I wasn't going to depend on "highly unlikely".

Well, I just found out that we can have chickens here on Cape Cod, so I was wrong.

Rooster noise was a contentious topic at a recent town meeting

Not my cup of tea, as the garden is more than enough work for us.

But I applaud all you chicken people!

Chickens are allowed in many of the surrounding towns and villages but not in the city.

Keeping small numbers of chickens in residential neighborhoods sounds quaint but many people underestimate the work and responsibility involved. Often times the chickens and their feed attract vermin, wild animals, and neighborhood pets.

1720647875800.png

Often times the chickens and their feed attract vermin, wild animals, and neighborhood pets.

Of course they do! Just like babies, toddlers, children, cats, dogs, husbands, gardens, cars, boats, cottages.

If one knew the responsibilities that life entails - well, it would be a pretty empty world.

Often times the chickens and their feed attract vermin, wild animals, and neighborhood pets.

Of course they do! Just like babies, toddlers, children, cats, dogs, husbands, gardens, cars, boats, cottages.

If one knew the responsibilities that life entails - well, it would be a pretty empty world.

I think Aunt Bea was referring to residential neighborhoods, where most cities don't, and shouldn't allow chickens to live. If someone wants to raise livestock, they can buy a house in the country.

CD

Back
Top Bottom