Help with Chicken Noodle Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got it. Thanks. I can hardly wait to try it again.

BTW, how long can I leave the bones and drippings in the frig? If it will be more than a couple of days before I can make the soup, should I put it in the freezer?

Also, if there is some leftover meat after we have made as many sandwiches as we want, can I add that to the soup too? And, if so, when. The last time, I added some leftover meat after the soup was all made. I don't think it was cooked enough for soup. Should I add it to the bones when making the broth or to the soup when making the soup?

Wow. Two new words: fond and deglaze. I guess it's too silly to say that I am fond of this forum.

I did a search for deglazing fond. One of the results said this:

But how do I tell if it's actually fond? The description above and some pictures looked like it was pretty dry.
Today, the bottom of the baking pan was quite liquid. I was able to just pour it into the bowl with with the bones. Should I have cooked it on the stove top until it was dry?

Fond is just the stuff that browned and stuck to the pan. If there is liquid, like grease, on top of the fond, just pour that off. It is the dry stuff stuck to the pan that is the fond, and fond adds a lot of flavor. Have the pan at least medium heat, and pour in some of your liquid (usually wine or broth) and let it sizzle and boil, then scrape the pan gently to clean the fond off the pan. You end up with a great broth and an easy to clean pan.

CD

BTW, how long can I leave the bones and drippings in the frig? If it will be more than a couple of days before I can make the soup, should I put it in the freezer?

A lot of people here keep the bones and scraps from chickens in zip-lock bags in the freezer, and add to them until they have enough to make a good batch of stock/broth. I would do that instead of keeping them in the fridge. You just put the frozen bones and wraps in a pot with water and boil it until it is done. No need to thaw anything.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom