TGIF September 6, 2024, whatcha' eatin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Cuban sandwich for me, made with leftover "big ole' butt."

1725667311858.jpeg

CD

Busy day. SO announced there would be pizza for dinner this weekend so I made a batch of pizza dough.

Then I spent about 5 hours (including cooking time) making a Sunday Ragu with meatballs and sausages. We haven't had this for a long time so we really enjoyed it.

After the hours of effort (it's not as easy as it used to be) a bourbon on the rocks was relaxing.

Mr bliss wanted pizza made on wheat tortillas. So he went shopping first thing this morning for the tortillas.
We made them with pizza sauce, black olives, marinated olives, mushrooms, red peppers, basil/garlic sauce, and topped with moxerella (creamy sauce like a mozzarella). 4 8-inch pizzas. We ate them all. mmmmmm

Today I was trying to use up a good portion of those smaller tomatoes, in a pasta/lentil dish, using up some more of those garlic scapes, in place of the garlic (amazing how long those things store in a fridge!). I pre-cooked those chana dal (I usually replace a lb of pasta with 1 1/3c legumes, pre-cooked) in the Instant Pot, in slow cook, so I could watch them, and catch them just at the right time, and stop them.

I cut up well over 3 lbs of mostly those Bronze Torch hybrids, and about a third of it the red Juliets, and a few of those Sunsugars, for color and sweetness. I stirred some salt into those, in a colander in a sink, to drain a little of the water out, while I was getting the rest ready. The garlic scapes I cut the tips off of, then sliced through the fibers, before putting about 1/2c of this into the food processor, to chop up finer, then added some salted capers (soaked from the beginning, then rinsed and drained), and a bunch of anchovies, and made a paste out of it. I stirred this into the tomatoes, along with that kalamata olive paste, and about half that of the green olive paste, and a little more good olive oil.
The medium shell pastas are my favorite for this, or anything else that will trap those pieces. I cooked that, and poured it over the chana dal, to make it hot again, then stirred into the tomato mix in a large bowl, along with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Definitely didn't need any more salt!
Over 3 lbs of the smaller tomatoes, cut up for the pasta, with the 2 olive pastes, and the paste of scapes, capers, and anchovies, before mixing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Over 3 lbs of tomatoes, with the pastes, some olive oil, and a lot of chopped up basil, mixed in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pre-cooked chana dal, drained, to pour pasta over, to re-warm. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The finished pasta dish, with the pasta and chana dal mixed with the tomato mixture. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pasta dish, ready to eat! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I cooked some brown basmati rice and made some bachelor surprise to serve on top of the rice. The bachelor surprise had ground pork, chopped onion, and from frozen, corn, broccoli, carrot, and wax beans. I had a glass of rosé wine with supper.

2024-09-06 Bachelor surprise on brown basmati rice1.jpg

Last edited:
taxi, your meal qualifies as an one dish/pot/pan too, eh?
Yeah, ok casey, I think I'll post the tenderloin in the other thread.
Edit: there you go...
One pan meal.

Last edited:
Me too medtran! I also love whole meals in a slow cooker. That time of year is coming up when heavier foods to warm up a tummy are welcome. I rarely, but sometimes, do a slow cooker in the summers. Really should do more but... there yuh go!
I'm very fortunate that my slow cooker can also sear meat. Browning stew meats and softening onions, etc. can still be done all in one pot. :mrgreen:

taxi, your meal qualifies as an one dish/pot/pan too, eh?
Yeah, ok casey, I think I'll post the tenderloin in the other thread.
Edit: there you go...
One pan meal.
It would qualify as a one pan meal on a day where the rice has already been cooked, so it gets incorporated. As it was, the veg and meat sat on top of the rice. I had to dirty another pot for the rice. Yeah, I thought about that before I posted my meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom