What's your weather right now? 2024 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahhh, good point casey. Not having nor needing reservoirs here I didn't think of that.

I think that would be a good rethink, jennyema! LOL

In North Texas (and most of the State), we get ALL of our municipal water from reservoirs. Here is a map. The blue ones are full, the red ones are almost empty, and the yellow and orange ones are somewhere in between.

[Edit] That red one at the bottom of the map is currently at 10% level, and is expected to get hit by the big storm in the Gulf.

1718774994796.png

Thanks to the "hoax" of Global Warming/Climate Change, you folks up North may need to rethink your lack of air-conditioning over the next decade.

CD

Last edited:
casey, most homes have A/C. Older apartments are chuck full of window units. Of course, older homes maybe not, When we get a severe weather warning (such as the last couple of days of heat & humidity) library's and other public areas are designated spots for people at risk to shelter in.

casey, most homes have A/C. Older apartments are chuck full of window units. Of course, older homes maybe not. When we get a severe weather warning (such as the last couple of days of heat & humidity) library's and other public areas are designated spots for people at risk to shelter in.

Hmmmm, on June 5, someone from Canada posted, "casey, Texas ain't the only place that gets hot!!! (and not every one here has an A/C.) LOL!!"

Oh wait, that was you! :ROFLMAO:

CD

HOT. I have one window unit for 4 rooms, and it was 87F with the a/c on!

It's almost 10:30AM here on the Island of Montreal and it's already 30°C (86°F) with a humidex of 41°C (106°F). It's expected to go up to 34°C (91°F) with a humidex of 44°C (111°F).

I am so glad I have good air conditioning.

Edited because I obviously got most of the temperatures with the wrong descriptions or wrong places.

Last edited:
We have 80 f right now (feels like 94) supposed to get to 91 f later (have no idea what it will 'feel' like then!)
arghhh - I have to go out just when it's at it's highest, and thru 5 o'clock traffic.

We have 80 f right now (feels like 94) supposed to get to 91 f later (have no idea what it will 'feel' like then!)
arghhh - I have to go out just when it's at it's highest, and thru 5 o'clock traffic.

Same here, 34C,which I think is about 93F,and no blue sky because of high humidity, making it feel much worse!

I’m one of those folks that don’t bother with air conditioning. For me, those little window units just make it all seem much worse than it really is.

It gets a bit tedious in the late afternoon when the real feel is above 100f for a few hours but I have it easy compared to the firemen, construction folks, etc…

Only 189 days until Christmas! 😉🤭😂

It's almost 10:30AM here on the Island of Montreal and it's already 30°C (86°F) with a humidex of 41°C (111°F). It's expected to go up to 34°C (91°F) with a humidex of 44°C (106°F).

I am so glad I have good air conditioning.

An interesting difference between Northern homes and Southern homes is placement of HVAC vents. Up North, most HVAC vents are in the floor, which is better for heating in the Winter. Down here, they are in the ceiling, which is better for cooling in the summer.

Newer homes down here also have high ceilings, which is good for Summer comfort, but not so good for Winter warmth. My living room ceiling is 24-feet high, so that room gets pretty chilly where people are on cold winter days. But, on hot Summer days, all the hot air rises up to the ceiling, where the return air vents are, and the cool air settles near the floor, where the people are.

CD

An interesting difference between Northern homes and Southern homes is placement of HVAC vents. Up North, most HVAC vents are in the floor, which is better for heating in the Winter. Down here, they are in the ceiling, which is better for cooling in the summer.

Newer homes down here also have high ceilings, which is good for Summer comfort, but not so good for Winter warmth. My living room ceiling is 24-feet high, so that room gets pretty chilly where people are on cold winter days. But, on hot Summer days, all the hot air rises up to the ceiling, where the return air vents are, and the cool air settles near the floor, where the people are.

CD
I don't have HVAC vents. My AC is a split system and the "head" is at the top of the stairs. That way it does a decent job of cooling upstairs and an even better job of cooling the ground floor. The heating is electric baseboard heaters.

I don't have HVAC vents. My AC is a split system and the "head" is at the top of the stairs. That way it does a decent job of cooling upstairs and an even better job of cooling the ground floor. The heating is electric baseboard heaters.

You don't see those mini-split systems down here very often. Central heating and conditioning has been the most common since the 1960s. Pretty much every home built after the 60s came with central heat and air, mainly because central AC was (and is) demanded by home buyers.

CD

The mini-splits are a great way to retrofit a house with AC. It doesn't require installing vents and you can have more than one head if you want. It's also pretty quiet. I only hear the fan and once in a while I hear the pump removing water that it drew out of the air. That can be a loud, startling sound, but it only lasts about 10-15 seconds.

I had a Lennox cooling/heating system installed at the farm. I probably could have gotten away with just one but...
Installed for the cooling system as I heated with a wood stove, figured come the day that whatever the fire died I would have a back-up source of heat. Never did use it but certainly used the cooling!

taxy, just put it on dehumidify. Works the same as the A/C, that's what I did.
I could hear it of course, I'm sound sensitive, but I knew every sound possible in that place.
Here in the city I go nuts listening to sounds I'm either trying to identify or trying to ignore.

taxy, just put it on dehumidify. Works the same as the A/C, that's what I did.
I could hear it of course, I'm sound sensitive, but I knew every sound possible in that place.
Here in the city I go nuts listening to sounds I'm either trying to identify or trying to ignore.
Huh? It's because it is dehumidifying that it is drawing moisture out of the air and collecting it. As soon as the container gets to a preset level, it pumps water out of the little holding tank. And mine is a Lenox too. It certainly makes the place more comfortable when it is just on dehumidify, but it doesn't actually cool when set that way. I'm not sure I can tell it not to dehumidify when it is set to cool.

I had a Lennox cooling/heating system installed at the farm. I probably could have gotten away with just one but...
Installed for the cooling system as I heated with a wood stove, figured come the day that whatever the fire died I would have a back-up source of heat. Never did use it but certainly used the cooling!

Both of my air conditioning systems are Lennox, which is a Dallas based company, BTW.

CD

Huh? It's because it is dehumidifying that it is drawing moisture out of the air and collecting it. As soon as the container gets to a preset level, it pumps water out of the little holding tank. And mine is a Lenox too. It certainly makes the place more comfortable when it is just on dehumidify, but it doesn't actually cool when set that way. I'm not sure I can tell it not to dehumidify when it is set to cool.

The evaporator coil on an air container, which is the indoor part of the system, will naturally de-humidify air, whether you want it to or not. Warm, humid air pasting through the cold coil creates condensation. With central AC, that condensation water drains into the home's plumbing, or to the outside of the house.

CD

Both mine were up on the wall. They drained directly outside as a constant drip. As you say casey, dehumidifying and the A/C draw out the moisture - that's what cools the air once the moisture is out. Although I always knew that, I don't understand too much of the difference.
Is it the amount of moisture taken out which brings the actual temperature down? = A/C
For the dehumidifier does it only just take out moisture but maintains the same actual temperature? = drier air

Although the radio's were saying 38 C (100 F)my outdoor thermometer was registering 40 C (104 F)in the shade. Have no idea what the humidity made it.
It is already dropping and should go down to almost 22 C (72 F). That won't be until around 4 & 5 am, then the sun comes up at 5:30 it will immediately start to rise again.

Back
Top Bottom