Petty Vents II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here in North Texas (and many other places in the US), we have a flashing yellow left turn signal, in addition to a green left turn signal. If the signal is a green arrow, you have a protected left turn. If the left turn signal is flashing yellow, you can turn left, but must yield to cars coming at you and going straight. It sounds a bit sketchy, but it actually works quite well.

Do you have that in Canada?

CD
They started the flashing yellow arrow here, maybe 2 years back. Many people seem to think that means make your left now! Can't tell you how many times we've been cut off by those folks!

As many know, the PNW is known for rain. So we have a lot of swales - ditches - next to the roads. Those texting kids - and adults - are often found in those swales.

They started the flashing yellow arrow here, maybe 2 years back. Many people seem to think that means make your left now! Can't tell you how many times we've been cut off by those folks!

As many know, the PNW is known for rain. So we have a lot of swales - ditches - next to the roads. Those texting kids - and adults - are often found in those swales.

When the flashing yellow arrows first appeared here, I thought they would be a disaster. But, they are working surprisingly well. People seem to "get it."

Of course, having said that publicly, I will probably get hit by some idiot who didn't get the memo. :rolleyes: I am knocking on wood as I type this.

CD

Here's my petty vent for today. I went out to run some errands about midday. I had barely gotten to my first stop before I was almost t-boned by another driver. No signal as to their intentions. Sadly this happens ALL THE TIME. I used to like driving but I'm tired of having to anticipate what other drivers will do.

What do they think the turn signal device is for...decoration?!

Was nearly t-boned two more times before I made it home. And, just so you know, I live in a rural farming community, not in a heavily populated big city. The nearest big CITY, about 40 minutes away, has a population of about 25,000 residents.

Go figure.

Okay, vent is over.
Yeah, people who can't be bothered to flick their finger to use the blinker really shouldn't have driver's license or be insurable.

Ontario:
Depending on the time of day - we have green arrow for a left turn, which will go yellow same as any green light goes yellow before red. There is no red arrow. It is a fourth light under the solid green - there is no red arrow. Once the allotted turn time is finished and the solid green light shows then one may make a left turn when traffic allows.

When I said depending on the time of day it is generally for morning rush hour and afternoon rush hour. There are a few that when it is done - there is no more turning and there are dedicated lights for those lanes only that go red. So there can't be any confusion. The traffic is allow to only go forward (or a right turn) and this is signified by a green light again... for those lanes only.

Fines for texting and driving (or not using "hands free phone calling" is automatic minimum fine of $650. (out of court) $1,000 in court if found guilty + 3 demerit points + 3 days licence suspension.
2nd conviction = $2,000 + 6 demerit + 7 days suspension.

The severity of a conviction will affect how many demerit points are received. Minor moving violations range from 0-3 demerit points, while major and criminal moving violations could give you upwards of 6 demerit points. You can accumulate up to 15 demerit points before your license is suspended.

and each offence stays on your record for 2 years.

I just hope I don't receive a no show bill, but I'm low-key kicking both myself and the lady on the phone.
If you do then I really don't think you should pay it.
You call, don't say why you are calling, just ask her name (I often ask their name just to be polite), and then call back and ask to speak to accounting, you can then tell them exactly why you will not pay and who gave you the mis-information.

My petty vent is that I had made a doctor's appointment and when I made the appointment the lady told me it was Wednesday. Well I receive 2 emails saying it was Tuesday, and I called the place back to see what day it was and the same lady confirmed Wednesday. Well I get there Wednesday and the check in gal tells me I'm a day late! I just hope I don't receive a no show bill, but I'm low-key kicking both myself and the lady on the phone.

I've never been charged a no-show fee. I did the exact same thing you did once, and showed up for an appointment a day late. They just rescheduled me for a new appointment. No fee.

For now, just wait and see what happens. If you get a no-show bill, just call the billing person and politely explain that there was a communication problem, and you got conflicting information.

CD

If you do then I really don't think you should pay it.
You call, don't say why you are calling, just ask her name (I often ask their name just to be polite), and then call back and ask to speak to accounting, you can then tell them exactly why you will not pay and who gave you the mis-information.
I agree. Don't pay it. I would also give you this piece of advice. Tell the doctor what happened. Many times the doctor's have no idea what the staff does. It happened to me at the vet's office. A girl was rude to me and I told the doctor what she did. He went and talked to her and things got fixed and attitudes went away. Some doctors don't care about what the staff does but you can sure give it a try. Any way I hope you get the situation sorted out. :)

Food Republic sometimes has interesting articles, some helpful, others a bit of overkill. Others are patently ridiculous. Just read one where they are writing about Anthony Bourdain's thoughts on not adding milk product to scrambled egg. Supposedly makes them tough, dilutes the flavour, etc.
Hogwash!! I beg to differ! I add milk, cream or heavy cream that I scramble with a whisk (a big no, no on that from Gordon Ramsey).
I find it makes the eggs beautifully creamier, smoother texture and using a whisk breaks up the whites and incorporates the whole egg much smoother.
I don't say you can't use a fork - it's fine and I've done it a lot but I much prefer the whisk.

JMHO

DL, you should do what you prefer. That's why I do.

Not adding milk to scrambled eggs is fairly standard. I just add salt. I use a whisk to scramble eggs because I think it's faster than a fork (which I used before).

Now cooking scrambled eggs is different. There are numerous methods/videos online about scrambling eggs. They range from stirring super fast over high heat to stirring slowly over low heat. I like my eggs moist and fluffy so I go with the slow method so I have a better chance of stopping the cooking before it's too late. (I'm not allowed to cook SO's eggs as she thinks mine are gross.)

Food Republic sometimes has interesting articles, some helpful, others a bit of overkill. Others are patently ridiculous. Just read one where they are writing about Anthony Bourdain's thoughts on not adding milk product to scrambled egg. Supposedly makes them tough, dilutes the flavour, etc.
Hogwash!! I beg to differ! I add milk, cream or heavy cream that I scramble with a whisk (a big no, no on that from Gordon Ramsey).
I find it makes the eggs beautifully creamier, smoother texture and using a whisk breaks up the whites and incorporates the whole egg much smoother.
I don't say you can't use a fork - it's fine and I've done it a lot but I much prefer the whisk.

JMHO

Whatever floats your boat. I don't use dairy, although I have tried it. Didn't notice a difference, good or bad. Well, I do use a copious amount of butter. ;)

IHOP adds buttermilk pancake batter to their eggs for omelets. They say it makes them fluffier. I know I like them, but can't eat a whole IHOP omelet at one time. I eat half there, and take half home for the next morning.

CD

Now cooking scrambled eggs is different. There are numerous methods/videos online about scrambling eggs. They range from stirring super fast over high heat to stirring slowly over low heat. I like my eggs moist and fluffy so I go with the slow method so I have a better chance of stopping the cooking before it's too late. (I'm not allowed to cook SO's eggs as she thinks mine are gross.)

I go with the low and slow method, too. For the same reasons. BTW, Waffle House cooks them just the way I do, low and slow in lots of butter. Their scrambled eggs are the best restaurant eggs I've ever found. Truth be told, I learned how to properly cook scrambled eggs watching a Waffle House cook make them.

CD

Last edited:
I also cook them low and slow. I don't always add cream, but when I do I notice it seems to be better. Because I usually heavy cream - maybe it's the fat content.

edit
I forgot, my grandma used to make them in a deep pot - and those you have to stir a bit faster. My mom did, on occasion, not often because she was making them for several kids and the deep pot method for many serving doesn't work as well. Or at least I assumed so.

I cook them hot and fast, but agree that there is a higher chance of them overcooking. You also have to watch to make sure you start cooking before the butter begins to brown. I add milk or cream to mine BTW. Oh, I mix them up with the fork I'll use to eat them.

I cook them hot and fast, but agree that there is a higher chance of them overcooking. You also have to watch to make sure you start cooking before the butter begins to brown. I add milk or cream to mine BTW. Oh, I mix them up with the fork I'll use to eat them.
I usually do mine low and slow. But, once in a while I get a craving for the kind that medtran makes. I usually do those in a small sauce pan.

I tend to wash a few dishes many times a day. That means that my hands are in and out of water all day long. So, when I needed to plaster some scrapes and cuts on my left hand the other day, i used these Bandaids. As you can see, they claim to be water proof. I can assure they are not. They are also made with very thin plastic which is very hard to manipulate with one hand to put them on oneself.

I had to change one because it got completely soggy. The other three got really grotty within a day. I changed them all to Elastoplast and that is going much better. At least when these get wet, they dry out. The also have much better padding.

PXL_20240712_022641585.jpg

I tend to wash a few dishes many times a day. That means that my hands are in and out of water all day long. So, when I needed to plaster some scrapes and cuts on my left hand the other day, i used these Bandaids. As you can see, they claim to be water proof. I can assure they are not. They are also made with very thin plastic which is very hard to manipulate with one hand to put them on oneself.

I am actually pretty good at applying plasters. You need the right tools to do it well.

1720753337288.png

CD ;)

I'm having a day and a half. I'm dealing with the damage caused by water from the remnants of Hurricane Debbie. It's extra hard because everyone and their siblings, here in Greater Montreal, is dealing with this. Okay, not everyone, but out here in the 'burbs, it's just about everyone. That means that I am dealing with insurance and the garage where I take my car, is going to take a long time. All the service people and companies are overbooked. The agent who is dealing with my house insurance phoned, so we can figure out next steps. But, I fumbled with my phone and didn't catch the call before it went to voice mail. Now, I have to wait until tomorrow or the day after to talk to the agent. I did send email asking that he phone again, right away, if I don't answer.

This is far too much effort. I'm still dealing with widow brain, i don't have the patience for this, but I guess I'll have to find it. Aargh!

I'm having a day and a half. I'm dealing with the damage caused by water from the remnants of Hurricane Debbie. It's extra hard because everyone and their siblings, here in Greater Montreal, is dealing with this. Okay, not everyone, but out here in the 'burbs, it's just about everyone. That means that I am dealing with insurance and the garage where I take my car, is going to take a long time. All the service people and companies are overbooked. The agent who is dealing with my house insurance phoned, so we can figure out next steps. But, I fumbled with my phone and didn't catch the call before it went to voice mail. Now, I have to wait until tomorrow or the day after to talk to the agent. I did send email asking that he phone again, right away, if I don't answer.

This is far too much effort. I'm still dealing with widow brain, i don't have the patience for this, but I guess I'll have to find it. Aargh!

Did your car flood? :eek:

CD

Did your car flood? :eek:

CD
I don't think the water got high enough to cause damage. It was in the underground garage. By the time I looked, the water was part way up the wheels, but not as far as the centre part of the wheels. I think it didn't get as high as the axels. But, I don't know for sure. Also, I can't just start it and try driving it. The battery is completely out of charge and the car has been sitting for a while. I have been planning on arranging to get my car towed to the garage and they can check it over and fix anything that needs fixing. They have done that before. The problem is that tow trucks can't get into the garage. The garage door isn't tall enough. If it weren't for that, it would have been handled quite a while ago. I didn't want my late DH straining himself, as he helped push the car to where the tow truck can attach it. He wasn't worried about overexerting himself.

Of course, all my efforts at getting the car looked at got sidelined by the hubster dying.

Back
Top Bottom