Adventures With Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About spending time outdoors in winter, there is a saying in Scandinavia, "There is no such thing as bad weather. There is only inadequate clothing." Your mum might have to get used to the colder weather, before she can enjoy sitting outside in the cold - for short periods. I was visiting Copenhagen a number of years ago in November. It was definitely getting winterish. The restos still had tables outside. They also had "California heaters" and provided blankets for the clients. There were lots of people eating outside.

I don't know, but I remember a January morning in Alaska, the sky was grey blue, the railing on the deck was covered in snow. My coffee cup put a dent in the snow, it was magical and my coffee cooled quickly but it was amazing. Sometimes we just need to BE, and let it all unfold.

Ditto to all!

I never put away 2 of my folding deck chairs during the winter on the farm. Just threw a tarp over them and leaned up against the wall. I always shoveled the entire deck there.... just so I could pull out the cushions I had stashed behind the cupboard next to the patio door and viola!

Plunk myself down with my coffee and toast my bundled body in the sun.

About spending time outdoors in winter, there is a saying in Scandinavia, "There is no such thing as bad weather. There is only inadequate clothing." Your mum might have to get used to the colder weather, before she can enjoy sitting outside in the cold - for short periods. I was visiting Copenhagen a number of years ago in November. It was definitely getting winterish. The restos still had tables outside. They also had "California heaters" and provided blankets for the clients. There were lots of people eating outside.

I agree taxlady! In the RV, I keep thermal underwear, all year long. It can get cold at campfire time...and campfire time is the best time for hearing and telling stories! Learning about friends, sharing, and so on. I've had more than one friend ask, "Why aren't you cold!?" I share the secret, but seems they don't remember to pack properly for the next campout. Sigh.

I agree taxlady! In the RV, I keep thermal underwear, all year long. It can get cold at campfire time...and campfire time is the best time for hearing and telling stories! Learning about friends, sharing, and so on. I've had more than one friend ask, "Why aren't you cold!?" I share the secret, but seems they don't remember to pack properly for the next campout. Sigh.

I haven't owned any thermal underwear in a long time. I tend to use tights and turtlenecks as "long underwear". When I'm packing a suitcase, I always bring tights that can be worn without a covering or as long underwear. If I know there's a chance it's going to be cold, I usually pack a turtleneck or two and extra sweaters. That way it all can serve double duty.

When I lived in a log cabin, we always wore thermal underwear and boots indoors. Usually wore two pullovers too. Didn't have to cut as much wood to keep it warm that way. It also meant that a trip to the outhouse only required putting on a coat, hat, scarf and mitts. Oh wait, we often wore our hats indoors too.

About spending time outdoors in winter, there is a saying in Scandinavia, "There is no such thing as bad weather. There is only inadequate clothing." .... snipped ....

taxy, you are so right! I've tried to suggest that we go shopping for warmer clothes, but she insists that she has "Winter Clothes" :ermm:

I don't know, but I remember a January morning in Alaska, ... snipped ....

Bliss, that is on my bucket list!

Ditto to all!

I never put away 2 of my folding deck chairs during the winter on the farm. Just threw a tarp over them and leaned up against the wall. I always shoveled the entire deck there.... just so I could pull out the cushions I had stashed behind the cupboard next to the patio door and viola!

Plunk myself down with my coffee and toast my bundled body in the sun.

dragn, DH and I sit outside all year round too.

It’s nice to see mom happy.

Mahalo, thanks Andy.

I agree taxlady! In the RV, I keep thermal underwear, all year long. It can get cold at campfire time... snipped ...

Genius Ginny!

I haven't owned any thermal underwear in a long time. I tend to use tights and turtlenecks as "long underwear". ... snipped ...

I may suggest this to Mom as well taxy.

DH and I discussed this topic last night and we've come to the conclusion that we'll let her flounder and learn on her own.
She does not want to listen any thing I tell her, I get "I know!"

sigh.jpg
sigh

I love that Shirley Temple picture. How we feel when we sigh.

Kaz, we don't live in a warm climate, we're in WI, lots of snow, so we shovel our deck and use it all winter. We only shovel about 200 square feet of it, enough to get things done and have some room to move around on it.

We both have long underwear, layers of jackets going from front zip hoodies to over the head, to coats with thermal insulation and fur, layers of tights/yoga pants/lightweight and heavy weight joggers, jeans, insulated boots, 2 pairs of socks (yes in one day at the same time), hats that go from decorative, felt, baseball cap, thick and insulated and fur, with balaclavas, ice cleats to strap onto boots and shoes, and insulated open fingertip gloves with attached over mittens. It's Wisconsin. I don't think your mom will need all of them, but a few might help if she wants to be outside. Even in winter, we have extra night clothes, I keep thin sweater housecoats, then add under thicker to the floor full thickness housecoats, over top long underwear and long nightgowns, slippers over 2 pair of socks. If the slippers have rubber soles, then I go out on the deck in them midwinter with the snow shoveled. The luxuries we afford ourselves to stay warm. I'm not sure what she might want or need. A real wool shawl is really nice in winter, indoors or outdoors.

I love shawls, always have, perfect over the shoulders and back but sort of leave your arms free.

You might buy a shawl as a gift for her at Christmas. Maybe an extra warm sweater or two, kept aside, just to have on hand if she suddenly says she's chilly.

Sometimes, if it's "just there" - 'here, put this on' - 'naw, you can keep it, looks good on you' lol, works?

Southern Ontario is quite warm but lots of snow. When we moved to Minnesota people there couldn't believe we were from Canada and lived further south than there. :rolleyes: Like blissful says, it's cold! My brother would shower, comb is hair (ducktail, hey! it was the 50's) and step outside, it would freeze in place and be good for most of the day! :LOL:

In Vancouver, even warmer, just rain in the city. Had to go to the mountains to get snow. But then I moved to Quebec... just like Minn. and Wis. I had my 2 X's days... 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, 2 undershirts, 2 sweaters, hat and a hood, (sometimes a face mask and not for covid), plus my jacket had an inner jacket I would zip in for the winter. But in the house, sorry, I did NOT skimp on the firewood. Log house, yes, but I could walk barefoot.:angel:

Holiday craft shows can be a good place to shop for throws, shawls and ponchos. If they have those in your area? Maybe she would express interest in something or even take something home on her own!? One can hope and it is good to get out and walk around anyway?

Believe me guys, I have tried to explain to Mom what a real Winter is like, but...
`Member now, we're from Hawaii, where once it hits 70° we're freezing to death, and then we moved to Southern Arizona and then Mom went off to California, and not up in the mountains either.

She thinks that her "Winter Clothes" are adequate :huh:
She doesn't want to hear anything about it from us.
But yes, Santa is bringing her underwear and such :LOL:

I tried showing her warmer things as we've been out and about shopping, she just keeps on walkin' past me with a "harrumph" *shrug*

Ok then! (as she throws her hands up in the air)

DH said last night, she'll just be staying home then as we go do things "in the freezing cold" :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ1Zvfv-7q0

Last edited:
Oh, and I forgot to add that Mom claims to be allergic to anything but cotton clothing :ermm:
Some of your present clothing does contain man-made fibers as well, but basically she's saying no wool, it gives her a horrible rash:huh:
layers, layers, layers!
I understand about the wool. I have a hard time with wool, even in outside layers. First off, if the layer isn't thick enough, it can itch right through it. Second, even top layers can manage to touch skin at neck and wrists. I have worn wool jackets, with a thick silk scarf around my neck and still gotten a rash. I wish it had actually shown as a rash when I was a kid and my mother just poopooed my complaints about itchy wool. "But, this is a fine, soft wool." Yeah, it feels soft enough to the palm side of my hands and fingers, but wearing it is another story.

Many people are sensitive to wool. I'm not allergic per se, but I do find it itchy and just the scratching creates an irritation.

My father had a beige cashmere sweater that he loved - I found it horribly itchy!

Many people are sensitive to wool. I'm not allergic per se, but I do find it itchy and just the scratching creates an irritation.

My father had a beige cashmere sweater that he loved - I found it horribly itchy!

I understand about the wool. I have a hard time with wool, even in outside layers. First off, if the layer isn't thick enough, it can itch right through it. Second, even top layers can manage to touch skin at neck and wrists. I have worn wool jackets, with a thick silk scarf around my neck and still gotten a rash. I wish it had actually shown as a rash when I was a kid and my mother just poopooed my complaints about itchy wool. "But, this is a fine, soft wool." Yeah, it feels soft enough to the palm side of my hands and fingers, but wearing it is another story.

Here's what's funny gals, Mom had bought a beautiful London Fog Wool Car Coat years back and wore it during the Winter when she lived in Southern Arizona. It gets cold there from time to time, but nothing like Northern Arizona! We're excepting 18 inches of snow today just north from us, so that means we'll probably get the tail end of it!

It is not the words that will convince anyone of the warmth of wool or cotton or fur.

I stood at a funeral mid winter for my grandfather, as his casket was lowered into the ground, my father's best friend's wife stood next to me, I put my hand under her arm to steady her (she was quite old). I realized the only place on my body that was warm was my hand. I was totally frozen and my hand was warm. Her coat was fur.

I used my fur coat and when I worked at a corporation in WI, we had fire drills, standing out in the cold for at least 30 minutes. EVERYONE was cold and I was comfortable, fur.

Standing out in the cold and a man offers me his jacket, it happens to be wool, I am comforted. I realize I am warm because of his lasting body heat and this is wool.

I suggest let her get cold, give her comfort, let the comfort be something of wool or fur. Let her feel it. She might 'get' it.

Small Bites

My Mother has a freakishly small mouth.
She can only open it so wide, not very big at all.
I use to be the one who worked on her teeth back in the day and it was nothing like it is today.
She claims to have had lock jaw as a child and this is why she can't open wide.
:ermm:

I have also noticed that her dexterity and hand strength is poor.
She had been going to physical therapy for her hands when she lived in Southern Arizona, but when she moved to California 9 years ago, she stopped. :mad:

She has a very hard time with cutlery. I have to give her small forks and knives, which I already had, and she struggles trying to cut anything into bite sized pieces for her tiny pie hole.

I cut up all meats to what I consider bite sized pieces for dietary reasons: it looks like there's more on your plate then DH thinks, therefore he eats less! :LOL:
IMG_0711.jpg
(an example of out typical place)

Mom was still having a difficult time even with those normal bite sizes.
My solution: I cut everything much smaller just for her plate.
Fruit, meat, potatoes ... everything.

I made French Toast and Pork Link Sausages for breakfast this morning for us three, and I thought she'd do fine with that, nope, but she made it through though.

And man, can she eat!
She had twice as much food as myself, the same amount that I gave DH, and he's a big boy! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom