Adventures With Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Lost You, Where'd You Go?

No, that wasn't me asking the question, but my Mother. :ohmy:

The past couple of weeks, whenever I've taken Mom out with me, without DH, Mom gets out of the car and either just stands there or wanders off in the opposite direction. :turned:

It was worst this last two times I had her out and about... she actually started to panic when she couldn't see me! AND I couldn't see her!

"Mom, Mom, MOM!" I yelled.

As she came towards me, she said "I lost you, where did you go?"
I didn't go anywhere, I was looking for her!
I circled the car, no Mom.
I started to walk towards the shop we were about to go into, no Mom.
I came back over towards the car and she was two aisles over in the parking lot. :(

I know that really threw her for a loop, because when I asked her if she wanted to come with me to get a few things at the grocery store, she actually said no.

To quote dragn: getting old and watching someone get old, are not for the faint of heart.

Kaneoh...it is hard watching someone get lost. I feel for you. It sometimes help a person compensate to put a flag or scarf on the antenna to the vehicle. Something bright and familiar.

Cindi - getting old and watching someone get old, are not for the faint of heart.

But if you can't laugh at yourself or with them, then....

You're right there, I'm going through that right now. Mom laughs at herself sometimes, and at me too. When she laughs, I laugh. I just thank the Good One upstairs that I have this time with her.

K-Girl, I can sympathize. My older sister is getting there. Her memory is really bad and she can't think logically. She still lives on her own but the day is coming when she won't be able to. Her kids keep an eye on her and are preparing for the inevitable.

Perhaps you could also mention to her...

1. "Mom, you are too fast for me! Wait outside the doors to the (specific) store so I can lock the car and catch up to you."

2. "Mom, could you hold this bag for me while I get out the keys?"

3. Make sure she is behind you at the check out counter. In front of you means she can wander off to the doors and out before you finish at the cash.

4th is very devious.... open your door but then do a quick lock so hers locks also. That way she can't get out until you come around and unlock it for her and say... ooops!:angel:

blissful - probably better to tie a balloon to Mom's collar. :angel:

Bingo!

Here in Cowboyville, Bingo is

HUGE!

Our small Community Center has Bingo afternoons once a month.
It's free to residents, you sign up ahead of time (I can't recall what the limit is for seating) and there's prizes.

Missus Next-Door Neighbor signed Mom & I up prior to Mom even moving here, knowing how much she likes to play games.

There was a small group of us from our street and we had planned on linner afterwards at one of the other communities near by ... they have a Golf Course and Restaurant.

We played four rounds and Mrs. N-D Neighbor won one!

We were down to the last round, Blackout ...

MOM WON!

In her very weak, soft voice I hear next to me this little squeak

bingo ...

WHAT?
So I yell, out loud

BINGO!

:LOL:

Now Mom has a gift card for IHOP
:clap:

... some folks here may recall that we also have a real big Bingo game every Tuesday evening and we play for real, for cash moola! I won once, $150 went into my mad money stash :LOL:
But there was a super bad storm here acoupla months back and that community's social hall was badly damaged by water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7y_LGJZCE

We're all still waiting for them to open back up again so we can play!
Most times, we'd go to linner near by, piror to start time.
Soon, I'm sure.

K-Girl, hugs and hugs to you. It's probably just as tough on your Mom, knowing that she's on the downhill side of her life. I've heard it said that in old age, the child becomes the mother to her Mother. I guess that's nature's way of payback.
Perhaps you could also mention to her...

1. "Mom, you are too fast for me! Wait outside the doors to the (specific) store so I can lock the car and catch up to you."

2. "Mom, could you hold this bag for me while I get out the keys?"

3. Make sure she is behind you at the check out counter. In front of you means she can wander off to the doors and out before you finish at the cash.

4th is very devious.... open your door but then do a quick lock so hers locks also. That way she can't get out until you come around and unlock it for her and say... ooops!:angel:

blissful - probably better to tie a balloon to Mom's collar. :angel:
Some cars have various unlock options. Originally, my car unlocked the driver's door as soon as you cut the engine. I didn't like that for when I was alone, so I reset it to unlock when the driver opens the door. I have to remember to manually unlock the rest of the doors, though, when I get out and need to get groceries from the back.

Turn On Some Lights, Will'ya?

I have to keep reminding my Mother that we do have lights in our home, unlike her apartment in California that we just recently rescued her from. ;)

But seriously, Mom only had a total of three lamps in her 2 bedroom apartment, and rarely used them. :huh:

I'm of the camp more is a good thing.
I can light this joint up like Times Square on News Eve!
I had been told by our ophthalmologist that as we get older, our eyes need more light and its best to have plenty of it, day or night.

Mom also has taken to the new habit of "locking up shop" far before sundown.
She'll go into her bedroom and close the blinds and drapes long before it gets dark outside.
So I made a comment about this last night, "Mom, why is your room so dark already?"
Her reply was its dark outside already.:ermm:
I started to say something, but DH shot me a look and that ever so tiny shake of his head as in "LEAVE IT!"

shrug.png

I did, and simply went and turned on some lights!!! ;)

And Did We Mention Linner?

My Mother is sooooooooooooooooooo
diggin' going out to late lunch/early dinner or what I refer to as Linner.

Sometimes Mom will order an adult beverage to go with her meal, which is always huge!
The restaurants around these parts are quite generous with their portioning, which to me is great.
This means that those "doggie bags" that we take home will morph into a mixed plate meal later.
A little of this, a little of that and all I have to do is re-heat it.
:chef:

Here in Cowboyville, there are many Mom & Pop places to eat,
more so than fast food or chain restaurants.
This is fine by me, and this is giving Mom many, many choices.
She said that she was getting pretty tired of eating Fried Chicken and Hamburgers in her small home town.
:-p

Mom is also enjoying dining with some of my Neighborhood Gal Pals.
She wasn't doing much socializing back in California.
But, to be fair, most things are still shut down since
the World turn on its axis almost two years ago. :wacko:

Please And Thank You

When I was growing up, manners were super important in our house.

We were taught to always say please and thank you ("What's that magic word again?").
Also, we learned respect and courtesy; we called all of my parents friends and associates Mister and Missus (or Miss) So And So.
We weren't suppose to be loud and rambunctious in the house (aka NO throwing any balls, let alone any other objects :LOL:).
There was no cussing in our house, AT ALL! I told my sister to shut up when I was a tween and got my mouth washed out with soap!

My Darling, handsome, best guy pointed out to me the other day that Mom was been forgetting her 'please and thank yous'.
HMMMM. :blink:

He felt that he would take this task on himself and gently remind her of that common courtesy.

With each little nicety that I showed my Husband, I got a "thank you dear" and a kiss for good measure :wub:
With each question of "...would you like to have some ...", he responded with a profound "YES PLEASE" ('who wants dessert?' :kiss:)

WELL, let me tell you!
This worked like a charm.
Mom has finally remembered her manners and I'm being just amazed as each day passes since DH showed her the way ;)

I Ran Away From Home

My Mother has been acting like a bratty, cranky, foul-mood kid!

She has a terribly bad tone of voice towards me and only me.
I think she already knows better than to act this way around DH, he doesn't take any guff, from anyone.
But with me, she acts badly from time to time, more so lately though.

DH called me on the carpet and said that I needed to put my foot down and start treating her like a kid.
"If she's going to act like one, then treat her like one. There are consequences."

AGREED!

Mom wasn't having a good day and was acting out, so I told her that I did not care for her attitude and the way that she had spoken to me and I left.
I took my cell phone and sent a text to DH that I was visiting Mrs. Next-Door Neighbor and I'd be back before dinner.

Gotta love that great Gal Pal of mine! She had told me before Mom ever got here that if ever I needed to run away, her door was always open and she had WINE!!!!
:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom