Adventures With Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... And Speaking Of Food

My Mother claims, all the time, that she's not hungry when I ask her if she'd like to have some XYZ.
:rolleyes:

Mom loves to snack!

You name it, or I should I say if I make, she'll eat it :LOL:

She has not just one snack every day that she has been with us,
but TWO!!! :ROFLMAO:

I offer her something small, not alot, about mid-afternoon.
I've given her all sorts of savory goodies from a simple plate of cheese and crackers to Cantaloupe wrapped in Prosciutto.

But wait!

Then, DH goes for a snack for himself (he usually doesn't except my offer at mid-day), and quite gallantly brings some of whatever he's rustled up over to Mom, who's sitting on the sofa by this time of day.
Aawww, he's just the best! :wub:

I think that Mom is eating very well! :chef:

My observations after reading along about your new set-up:
1) You are an angel.
2) Your DH is a saint.
3) Your Mom is one lucky and blessed mother.
4) Can I move in with you when I start to fall apart? :LOL:

Seriously, I'm glad that adjustments have been going along so well. I remember from your posts about other times when your Mom was visiting for her regular month that there were times...:whistling It sounds like living with you rather than just visiting you relieves all of you from trying to cram in too many favorites and things to do that aren't an issue now with this arrangement.

Getting in good with the neighbor gals can't hurt either, right? They sound like a fun bunch!

We made it to our second week having my Mother living with us in a 1500 square foot home.
It's a little tight, but Mom has her own room and bath...
Would adding a small in-law suite be an option? I don't know about how much land space you have, or whether or not an addition is even an option in your development. I would think a bedroom/bathroom/tiny kitchenette of her own would be ideal. Back when I was still single, a former neighbor and I kept in touch after the family moved to the way-west side of greater Cleveland. When I went out to see their new digs, there were closed drapes along what I though was an outside wall. When she opened the drapes there was the sliding glass door, but beyond it was an in-law suite. Or, as she put it, an in-law "sweet". They were close, but when they had enough of each other, Mom and Pop could disappear into their own space and they could each live their own family lives.

Let's Talk Dessert

Yes, let's do.

I made mention at the beginning of this thread that my Mother claims to not care for sweets ... yeah right! :stuart:

Now mind you, DH and I really don't eat desserts that often. But since having Mom here, it looks as though we have a regularly scheduled "Dessert Time". :LOL:
I mean Mom will ask me to "Stop tape" (reads as "could you please pause the streaming program that we're watching) ... "It's time for dessert." :w00t:

Moi: Well, what would you like Mom?
Mom: What'd ya got?
:ROFLMAO:

Then que DH. He's always game and he pipes in his 2¢

BUT WAIT!

More afternoons than I could count, Mom gets a second dessert/sweet of some sort after lunch!
That would be something a bit smaller though, like maybe a "fun-sized" candy bar, or a coupla cookies (store bought I'm afraid-I haven't had time) maybe some cut-up fruit.

I'd say Mom is sitting pretty :king:

Little Jobs And Chores For Mom

Some folks here at DC have suggested that my Mother be given little things to do around the house to make her feel like this is her home as well.

I was ahead ya!

The very first morning that we were all home here in Cowboyville, I gave Mom the task of setting the table for breakfast.

Next on her list was she is to wash her own linens and clothing when she sees fit.
I showed her how to use our fancy-pants HE front loading washer & dryer set...
"WOW! I've never seen anything like that before!"
:)

A chore that she has taken on herself is to clear the table after each meal and load the automatic dishwasher.
Well, she doesn't do it quite to my specs, but I simply re-arrange everything when she's not around.

sshhhh.jpg

I asked Mom not to wait for us to get up in the morning, `cuz we don't get up at the butt-crack of dawn, and get her own cup of Tea. I showed her how to use the Keurig and have a cuppa in something like 5 seconds! She was yet again amazed!
"Welcome to the 21st century Mom!" :ROFLMAO:

And lastly ...
dusting, I hate to do that! Mom loves to.
:clap:

DH bought me a IRobot Roomba for my birthday a coupla years ago, so that alleviates my last dreaded household chore that I have to do. :stuart:

Speak Up

Neither DH nor I had caught this before, but having my Mother living with us, we've noticed that her voice is, well, I guess for lack of a better term, weak.

We have to keep asking her to repeat herself and then she gets frustrated with us and won't speak.
It almost sounds like her vocal chords are not right somehow.
DH is already hard of hearing, so now he just nods his head in her direction, with the occasional "yup".

I suppose I aught to say, "Mom, we can't hear you, you need to speak up", but each time that I try to say anything that sounds even remotely negative to her she becomes very upset.
The other day, she noticed how I load up the automatic dishwasher, "Well, I guess I messed that up, didn't I! You put the knives and forks in opposite of how I do it." Add in an extremely snotty tone. :huh:

I can't take her to a doctor yet because first we need to change her insurance plan and secondly, she says that she's in perfect health. :ermm:
She is due for her annual Medicare Wellness Check Up next month, so at least I have that one in my back pocket.

Heh folks, it ain't all peaches and cream here in Cowboyville.
The rolls are now reversed, I seem to be the parent and she the child.

But, paraphrasing Super Chicken, "I knew the job was dangerous when I took it."

wonderwoman.jpg
(photo source: PCGamesN and yes, that's how I really look!)

Last edited:
Wait for the wellness check up, talk to the MD about this and he can check. He could also tell her, her daughter and SIL are deaf and can't hear her.

There's always a chance that the doctor may have the same issue with hearing Mom? Will you go in with her for the exam? Or meet with the Dr. and/or her, at some point in that process?

If not, maybe you can set her up with their online system and put a message to the doctor that way.

In my Mom's later years, I always went in with her. With MIL, not yet, although we have "offered". She won't bite.

With DH, I do go in with him to see any of his doctors, if there is a concern. And, these days, sometimes that can be a challenge! So, if I cannot, then I send a written sheet of notes along with his "updated" Meds List.

Week Three

This past week, Mom has had to stay at home while DH and I did some business. You know, doctor's appointments and all that goes with them. We felt that we didn't want to have her along on these outings.

To be honest, I thought for sure that she was not going to be too happy about that, but she was perfectly happy to sit and read her book.

I made sure that she had a really big breakfast, so that she'd be full until dinner time. This gave DH and I an opportunity to have "couple's time" and we took full advantage of that... we went out to lunch after the business was attended to, just us two.
:clap:

During our private alone time once Mom toddles off to bed, we were discussing how we both thought that we should make "appointments" for more couples only outings. I say an overnight trip would be in order, but DH felt that we might want to wait a bit to do that.

And the adventure continues ...

Caregivers must take care of themselves or they will burn out. Your Mom is doing great and she has the most loving family, ever.

Join Us In The 21st Century

My Mother has been bucking the notion of creating online accounts for her bills, banking, etc. My DH finally got her to give in, and that's probably because she's now living with us and between myself and DH, she has her own tech support team at her beckon call. :LOL:

Mom's not the best with these new fangled thingamajigs! I can understand, but it's just so much more convenient to do business on the computer, on your time, not theirs.

She also got herself her own cell phone :ohmy:
No, really!
Now, ask me if she knows what the heck she's doing?
;)

We had to have another hands-on training this morning, Laundry 201.
I don't know what she did to our beautiful front loading washer and dryer, but they weren't working for her, at all!
I could hear from the other room her struggles, but she didn't ask for help, so... DH advised me not to micro-manage and let her come to me.
She kinda did, when I didn't hear the chime go off-indicating the dryer was done, I went to investigate, I mean I just happen to be going through the Laundry Room and was removing her recent load. Not dry at all.
:huh:

Moi: Mom, how long did you set the dryer for?
Mom: 30 minutes
Moi: I think we should have a refresher class Mom

Cindi - getting old and watching someone get old, are not for the faint of heart.

But if you can't laugh at yourself or with them, then....

Back
Top Bottom