Saturday dinner, June 8, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand what you are saying. That one steak would feed two, correct? That's what you intended. But for me I purchase for me alone, so they are individual steaks that are not sliced off the bone and served.
Yes, but even if I was cooking just for myself, I would buy a steak like this. I'd have half for dinner and the other half the next day, either with sides or on a salad.

Aside from the fact I couldn't really afford them with growing kids - I never learned how to cook them to slice like that. Either, in my ignorance, bought the wrong cut, or just plain cooked them wrong. Always came tough - so I never could justify the cost for getting no pleasure.
I learned how to cook steak from my dad growing up.

Now, however, on my own, I'm hitting the bucket list... and learning.
Hope it goes better for you next time.

You know that saying... listen to your body? Well, my body is a liar!
It tells me later into the evening that the 2nd meal meant for tomorrow is calling my name saying "I'm really just perfect for the late night snack! Come and get me!"
So like a good dragn, I listen to my body... :rolleyes:

I learned how to cook steak from my dad growing up.

So did I... then as an adult, I had to learn to cook a steak right. :ROFLMAO:

That man could turn even the best cut of meat into shoe leather, although my parents always bought the leanest meat they could find. If a steak had any marbling, it was too fatty. I remember him always cutting into the steaks with a knife ON THE GRILL to make sure they were done, leaving the meat dry as the Sahara.

CD

I can't cook steak to save my life. I'm always afraid of overcooking it, so I pull it too soon and it's usually still raw in the very middle. Which, to be honest, doesn't bother me. I'll eat it anyway.

You know that saying... listen to your body? Well, my body is a liar!
It tells me later into the evening that the 2nd meal meant for tomorrow is calling my name saying "I'm really just perfect for the late night snack! Come and get me!"
So like a good dragn, I listen to my body... :rolleyes:
And what did your body say to you after you had that snack? Did it say it was a mistake? Did it say it was a good idea? Or, ...?

I can't cook steak to save my life. I'm always afraid of overcooking it, so I pull it too soon and it's usually still raw in the very middle. Which, to be honest, doesn't bother me. I'll eat it anyway.
That's called a "blue" in English and "saignante" in French (bleeding/bloody). I used to like my steaks that way. I prefer rare to medium rare now. I once ordered a steak, cooked to blue, at a resto in St John's, Newfoundland. I was alone and eating at the bar. The patron sitting next to me said, "Quick, call the vet! I think we can save it." :LOL:

That's called a "blue" in English and "saignante" in French (bleeding/bloody). I used to like my steaks that way. I prefer rare to medium rare now. I once ordered a steak, cooked to blue, at a resto in St John's, Newfoundland. I was alone and eating at the bar. The patron sitting next to me said, "Quick, call the vet! I think we can save it." :LOL:
LOL, now that's funny. And it reminds me of the time my husband and I were at a Japanese restaurant sitting at the Hibachi and we were watching the chef cook our food and one of my shrimp 'jumped ship' and flew from the grill onto the counter in front of me. The chef grabbed it back up with his utensils and said "Oops! Still alive!"

That was a good laugh for us as well as the others sitting at the same Hibachi.

An instant read thermometer can help with that.

I cook my steaks sous vide and seared most of the time, now. I get a perfect medium-rare every single time.

1718050619169.jpeg

CD

I don't like to hear the thing MOO at me. I've never really had a "dry" steak, back in the day the only way we had to know if it was ready was to cut a tiny slice - it never dried out. But mine could be chewier than an Indian Rubber Ball, yes. Instant read probes were not a thing back then.

taxy, after eating the "tomorrow meal" I'd be angry with myself. Vow I would never listen to my body again, or at least til the next time my recipe was for two servings. :innocent:

I don't like to hear the thing MOO at me. I've never really had a "dry" steak, back in the day the only way we had to know if it was ready was to cut a tiny slice - it never dried out. But mine could be chewier than an Indian Rubber Ball, yes. Instant read probes were not a thing back then.

taxy, after eating the "tomorrow meal" I'd be angry with myself. Vow I would never listen to my body again, or at least til the next time my recipe was for two servings. :innocent:

With practice, I got pretty good at telling if a steak was done to my liking with the finger-poke method. I could recognize medium rare pretty accurately, because that is how I like them. My SIL would only eat well-done steaks, so I just cooked hers until if felt like it would bounce back to me if I dropped it on the floor -- and she loved it. :ROFLMAO:

Since I switched to sous vide, I don't need a thermometer or the finger-poke method. Sous vide takes all the guesswork out of cooking steaks. It's even better with pork chops, which can go from tender and juicy to shoe leather very quickly.

CD

I'm actully pretty good with pork chops. I have them fairly often. Steak on the other hand, is maybe only 2 or 3 times a year. Not much to be able to practice on.
So there you see where my lies my problem lies. Same as with Lotto tickets - as much as you would love to win - ain't gonna win if you don't buy a ticket.

I'm actully pretty good with pork chops. I have them fairly often. Steak on the other hand, is maybe only 2 or 3 times a year. Not much to be able to practice on.
So there you see where my lies my problem lies. Same as with Lotto tickets - as much as you would love to win - ain't gonna win if you don't buy a ticket.
How do you know when the pork chops are ready? And how cooked do you like your pork chops?

Honestly could not say taxy. It depends on the thickness, how, what I'm cooking them with/for. Never really thought about it.
Pork chops are cooked thru - not tough or dry but certainly not raw in the middle. Tenderloin can be pink - my preference.
Don't often cook roasts anymore - but they are not raw in the middle but certainly not dry or tough.
Sorry, can't be more helpful.

How do you know when the pork chops are ready? And how cooked do you like your pork chops?

You set your water bath for the doneness temperature you want, and they will be cooked the same, no matter how long you cook them. You can't over cook them. Searing only takes a minute or two, so you aren't really cooking them any more, just browning the outside.

I like them to be just slightly pink, which I believe is medium rare for pork chops. I sous vide them for two to three hours at 135F. Making meat safe to eat is a time/temperature thing. Since you can't overcook your food with sous vide, you can leave the pork chops in the water bath at 135F for longer, and have safely cooked food.

Two to three hours is a long time, but once you put your meat into the water bath, you can walk away and never check on them. When you decide you are ready to eat, you prepare your sides, sear your chops, and dinner is ready.

CD

casey! please edumahcate me!
I've read that the danger zone is between 41 and 135. so you are taking it to the absolute minimum and chancing that it never goes below? What about the time it takes to get there?
I understand that once there - it's fine. But does it really stay there? I mean that is borderline!

casey! please edumahcate me!
I've read that the danger zone is between 41 and 135. so you are taking it to the absolute minimum and chancing that it never goes below? What about the time it takes to get there?
I understand that once there - it's fine. But does it really stay there? I mean that is borderline!
The sous vide setup is covered/enclosed so there is minimal heat loss. Plus, there is a submerged heater with thermometer that constantly cycles heating element, plus the water is being gently circulated constantly.

I've had mine on for 12+ hours during the day a few times and the display switches every couple of minutes from temp to time remaining. I never saw the temperature vary by more than a degree whenever I looked at it.

Back
Top Bottom