Pressing smashburgers with wax/parchment or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I didn't use parchment or waxed paper the first time I made smash burgers, (putting waxed/parchment between the press and the burger) and I found the burgers stuck some. I remedied this somewhat by leaving the press on maybe 20 seconds per burger then twisting the burger off (and sliding the spatula in between to help release). This worked maybe 80 percent of the time. Should I use parchment/waxed paper next time I make smashburgers? What do you guys do/use? Thanks! 😊

LOL - I have never made smashburgers!
Didn't realize there was a specific method to it. Thought you just put a ball of ground beef on the heat and then squished/smooshed it with whatever was handy - spatula, frying pan, potato masher, whatever!
who knew!

LOL - I have never made smashburgers!
Didn't realize there was a specific method to it. Thought you just put a ball of ground beef on the heat and then squished/smooshed it with whatever was handy - spatula, frying pan, potato masher, whatever!
who knew!
That's what I thought too.

So, now I am curious. For the people who use parchment paper, how do you smash the burgers?
You just put your burgers on a flat surface (a Blackstone or in a skillet on your stove, however you're cooking the burgers) then lay a piece of parchment on top of the burger. Then you use a burger press to smash them down, then remove the parchment.

Another way to keep the burgers from sticking to the burger press (if you don't have parchment paper) is to spray the burger press with nonstick cooking spray (or you can oil it) and do it that way. It's better than using the burger press without using anything to prevent sticking.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I love the idea of the patty sheets. That way you don't have to bother with cutting larger parchment sheets (the ones I have are the size of a cookie sheet) down to size.

The box of pre-cut sheets takes up very little space, and 1,000 sheets for 12 bucks?!

CD

The box of pre-cut sheets takes up very little space, and 1,000 sheets for 12 bucks?!

CD
I agree, that's a great price. Thanks for sharing that.

Those sheets would also be good for putting in between burger patties (or any other type of meat) that you're going to freeze for future use.

I use the plastic wrap from the ground beef and a heavy old salad plate.

I fold the plastic wrap over the ball of ground beef covering top and bottom and just press down with the bottom side of the plate to form a very thin fast food style burger.

Two very thin patties are nice for a gloppy club style burger on toast with all the trimmings during tomato season. 🐷🐷🐷

I smash my burgers from a ball directly on the griddle or cask iron skillet with a spatula. I don’t pre-smash them.

That's normally how they are done. I put a ball on the griddle, with a one of those burger sheets on top, and smash it with the burger press. Then I peel the sheet off of the smashed burger. It comes right off.

CD

I'm not understanding why the need for parchment or wax paper in the first place? Why wouldn't you just use the spatula? You're going to wash it any how, so why buy, use and toss $omething.
Even should it stick a bit, using a 2nd spatula, seems much easier to me. And if you use a silicon type it won't stick in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom