Let's have a friendly chat about anything.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks casey, good to know.
Badjak, think I would rather deal with racoons than baboons and hyenas! I know hyenas are scavengers but do they come into residential areas looking?
They are not in towns...
Mainly at and around the game parks and game manageement areas.
But they can be a nuisance there, mainly is they start associating people with food

Associating people with HAVING food, or BEING food. :eek:

Big difference. :ROFLMAO:

CD
This is why you shouldn't run away from a bear. They are omnivores. We are omnivores. The bears can smell that. So, the bear doesn't know if the human is food or if it's the bear that is food. If you run, you are telling the bear that you are the food. food runs.

This is why you shouldn't run away from a bear. They are omnivores. We are omnivores. The bears can smell that. So, the bear doesn't know if the human is food or if it's the bear that is food. If you run, you are telling the bear that you are the food. food runs.

Park rangers advise hikers and campers in bear areas to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter. They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance, so they won’t be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them, which might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors are told they should also carry a pepper spray can just in case they encounter a bear. Spraying the hot chili pepper at the bear will cause it to run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear poop, so you have an idea if bears are in the area and what kind of bears. Grizzlies are the most dangerous for humans. Black bears are less likely to attack humans. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell like chili peppers.

CD

We have these trash and recycling carts where I live, and surprisingly, the raccoons don't seem to be able to get into them. I assume the designers of these carts took raccoons and other animals into account.

View attachment 70724

CD
Those are the same kind we have. But they were still able to get into them. How, I don't know, but they figured it out. Hence, the brick.

Is anyone else going through a drought right now? Here in Central Ohio, we haven't had rain for weeks. Everyone's lawns are brown and dried up. I haven't even heard a lawnmower buzzing for a long time. There's no grass to cut! Lawncare businesses must be having a heck of a time making a living and I feel bad for all the farmers. I think we're also under water restrictions (not supposed to water lawns, etc) until who knows when.

A couple of days every week, we're predicted to have a chance of rain, but it never happens. I can't even remember the last time it rained. We've been sunny and dry every day.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should do with all the dead yeast I have? It has to be at least half a pound, so I hate to just feed it to Arnold.

I call my garbage disposal Arnold. I combined the pigasaurus from the Flintstones with Fred Ziffle's pig from Green Acres.

flintstones-garbage-disposal.gif

Would it make a decent soil mix-in for my planter barrel? Right now I am growing tiny tomatoes, sugar snap peas, Thai chili peppers, and the stumps of two celery stalks. Oh, and some what look a lot like Fairy Rings just showed up this morning.

At the beginning of the pandemic I needed yeast and the only place that had any was King Arthur, in a one pound vacuum sealed bag! Yes, I know that proper planning prevents piss poor performance, but how do you plan for a pandemic?.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea of what I should do with all the dead yeast I have? It has to be at least half a pound, so I hate to just feed it to Arnold.

I call my garbage disposal Arnold. I combined the pigasaurus from the Flintstones with Fred Ziffle's pig from Green Acres.

flintstones-garbage-disposal.gif

Would it make a decent soil mix-in for my planter barrel? Right now I am growing tiny tomatoes, sugar snap peas, Thai chili peppers, and the stumps of two celery stalks. Oh, and some what look a lot like Fairy Rings just showed up this morning.

At the beginning of the pandemic I needed yeast and the only place that had any was King Arthur, in a one pound vacuum sealed bag! Yes, I know that proper planning prevents piss poor performance, but how do you plan for a pandemic?.
Throw it in the septic tank if you have one. Helps with the smell and breakdown.
Give to beer brewing buddies to use when boiling the wort. It then acts as food for the beer yeasties

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt your compost. I think I've put a small amount in my compost - takes about a year for me to use up a pound, and when I get down to the last few tb, I normally notice it getting slower, even though it is kept refrigerated, and I get another supply of it, and toss the 3 tb or so. This last year I got a 2 lb batch from BJ's, because it was less than a lb from other places!

Is anyone else going through a drought right now? Here in Central Ohio, we haven't had rain for weeks. Everyone's lawns are brown and dried up. I haven't even heard a lawnmower buzzing for a long time. There's no grass to cut! Lawncare businesses must be having a heck of a time making a living and I feel bad for all the farmers. I think we're also under water restrictions (not supposed to water lawns, etc) until who knows when.

A couple of days every week, we're predicted to have a chance of rain, but it never happens. I can't even remember the last time it rained. We've been sunny and dry every day.

Every summer. We get very little rain in July and August, and the first part of September. I replaced most of my lawn with native ground cover years ago. We had 0.41 inches of rain in August.

CD

I cut 5 frames of honeycomb today. 21 packages of 3x3.5 inch honeycomb, 8 honeycomb and honey in a jar. 2 additional pints of honey. He's telling me that he has 17 frames of honey to extract (in the basement), to add to the year's harvest.
I wonder sometimes if my youngest son would like beekeeping. He is a very quiet individual and he likes animals and plants, he might really like beekeeping. I'll have to ask him about it.

Back
Top Bottom