Tues. Oct. 8, '24 Dinner Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We made one of my favorite meals. A broccoli pepper stir fry (oil free).
Onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli stems chopped, diced yellow zucchini, bamboo shoots, sliced water chestnuts, soaked seasoned soy curls, broccoli trees, lots of diced fresh red peppers, glazed. Served over veggie rice.
Seasoned how you like it. AC vinegar and nu-salt, or stir fry sauce .(or peanut sauce, or orange sauce)
I could eat this for days in a row.

I had the chicken drumstick I roasted yesterday with a slice of rugbrød (heavy, Danish style, dark, rye bread) on the side and salami on rugbrød. I'll probably have something else before I go to bed. Oh! I just remembered. I have some coleslaw in the fridge. Or, maybe I'll have 'shrooms on toast.

Today, I made a batch of pasta/tomato salad, using 2 c of chana dal, cooked for 12 min in the Instant Pot, while getting some of the other ingredients ready. After the pressure released on the dal, I let it drain in a colander, while cutting up the rest of the tomatoes, and those things for the seasoning paste - basil, a little Thai basil, garlic, anchovies, green and Kalamata olives, and some more olive oil. This is all mixed into the tomatoes, and let sit, until the pasta is cooked, is drained on the dal, to heat that up again, then it is all mixed with the tomato mix, to slightly cook that. Maybe the last batch of the season, though I do keep getting more tomatoes.
Over 3 lbs of tomatoes, with a paste of garlic, 3 basils, green and kalamata olives, and anchovies, ready to stir in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The tomatoes with the paste stirred into them, along with about a tb of red wine vinegar, plus 4 tb EVOO. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, with 2 c chana dal, cooked and drained, and a lb of spiral pasta, cooked al dente, and drained on the dal, then stirred into the tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Homemade chicken soup

Sounds good right now. I got my flu shot and Covid booster today, and feel a bit feverish, even though I don't have a fever.

I just had a sandwich earlier this evening. That soup would have been nice.

CD

I went north about 45 miles to a super Walmart to get some frozen tacos they'd had before and then visit one of the largest grocery stores in the area to get some shrimp shumai. Well, that was a wasted trip.

First I decided to not eat before I left, because I was going to be back early and I'd just have some of the shumai or the tacos. But I ended up leaving at 3 and it's an hour up there. Walmart didn't have the tacos and their electric cart kept dying. I finally got up and checked out all the freezer aisles on foot and an employee took off in the cart, leaving me to walk the length of the store to get another cart. Now we're looking at 4:30pm.

Going to Central Market, they're revamping their store. It took forever to find the shumai. The shumai have doubled in price so I only got two instead of four and I also got some cherry tomatoes, for which I paid an arm and a leg. By the time I got out of there, I was starved and decided to grab some tacos at the taco place across the street. That's apparently been demolished and is no longer there. So on to McDonald's. Time is 5:30

I paid eight dollars - yes, EIGHT - for a lousy Quarter Pounder. I enjoyed it, because it's the last Quarter Pounder I'm ever buying again. It was also what I had for supper tonight. But by the time they finished killing the cow and cooking the meat, it was 6pm.

By the time I got home at 7, I just wasn't hungry enough to cook anything else. And my car was acting up all the way up and all the way back. I was wondering if I left it in the Walmart lot, some employee would take it, too. But no such luck.

There is one good thing about this. Cat was sleeping inside when I left and I know she likes to go wandering about 5pm. I just got a cat door installed for her and I propped it open before I left. She was outside when I came home, so she must have figured out how to get out through it. So that's one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
I went north about 45 miles to a super Walmart to get some frozen tacos they'd had before and then visit one of the largest grocery stores in the area to get some shrimp shumai. Well, that was a wasted trip.

First I decided to not eat before I left, because I was going to be back early and I'd just have some of the shumai or the tacos. But I ended up leaving at 3 and it's an hour up there. Walmart didn't have the tacos and their electric cart kept dying. I finally got up and checked out all the freezer aisles on foot and an employee took off in the cart, leaving me to walk the length of the store to get another cart. Now we're looking at 4:30pm.

Going to Central Market, they're revamping their store. It took forever to find the shumai. The shumai have doubled in price so I only got two instead of four and I also got some cherry tomatoes, for which I paid an arm and a leg. By the time I got out of there, I was starved and decided to grab some tacos at the taco place across the street. That's apparently been demolished and is no longer there. So on to McDonald's. Time is 5:30

I paid eight dollars - yes, EIGHT - for a lousy Quarter Pounder. I enjoyed it, because it's the last Quarter Pounder I'm ever buying again. It was also what I had for supper tonight. But by the time they finished killing the cow and cooking the meat, it was 6pm.

By the time I got home at 7, I just wasn't hungry enough to cook anything else. And my car was acting up all the way up and all the way back. I was wondering if I left it in the Walmart lot, some employee would take it, too. But no such luck.

There is one good thing about this. Cat was sleeping inside when I left and I know she likes to go wandering about 5pm. I just got a cat door installed for her and I propped it open before I left. She was outside when I came home, so she must have figured out how to get out through it. So that's one less thing to worry about.
That sounds very frustrating. But, I'm glad read about the cat figuring out the cat door.

Back
Top Bottom