Vinegar season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@taxlady, did you set that wine in a closet or behind a cabinet to check to see if it went to vinegar in the future?
I put it on a bookshelf that has a bunch of wine bottles, some empty, some full. I put a piece of paper towel over the top with an elastic. I don't want a bunch of dust and who-knows-what falling in it. I'm just wondering if I should maybe add a little bit of mother from some ACV. What do you and @larry_stewart think?

@taxlady, I didn't do that with mine, but it took a long long time. I can't see how a Tablespoon of active vinegar could do anything but speed up the process.

The only negative part is it does attract fruit flies. I keep them in a spare room in the garage. I use a coffee filter with a rubber band to keep them out of the vinegar during the process. One I used cheese cloth, but I must not have had enough layers, so apparently some of the fruit flies got in, laid eggs, and I saw these really tiny fruit fly larvae moving on the inner sides of the jar ( above the vinegar). needless to say I dumped the batch and no longer use cheese cloth as barrier .

If I have a mother or some raw vinegar I sometimes add a little to the new batch to speed it up ( as Bliss mentioned), but I've had great success with ( and without ) adding it, so I don't go out of my way. It's only if I have and if I remember .

Back
Top Bottom