Me Again ... Does This Look Good Enough for Season Stripping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riverofwind

Assistant Cook
Silly pan looks better after washing with an SOS pad, hot water, and dish soap than after soaking in vinegar. To strip seasoning first I scrubbed thoroughly with sos pad etc, then I soaked in vinegar for 30 minutes. Picture one after scrubbing and picture 2 after soaking. The first looks more silvery. I did elbow grease a paper towel with water after the vinegar until there was no reside left on the towel not sure if that botched the job. Anybody care to weigh in? Did I do a good enough job? I'll stop bothering you guys after this I bought How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman! :) Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks good.

P.S. you don't have to start a new thread for each step in the process. Just keep adding to the original thread as long as you're talking about your skillet.

@Andy M. Thanks, I felt like the other two topics deserved their own threads since they were very generic questions.

How's this look post seasoning?

20230815_115316.jpg

@Andy M. Awesome thanks. Reason I asked was because these guys look shinier. Any idea how come? Also you mentioned previously to do an additional seasoning for peace of mind... should I?

Last edited:
*UPDATE* Bacon disaster! Hi again I tried frying bacon to help the seasoning mature but things went horribly wrong. Before this I fried a lamb chop flawlessly so I think my seasoning was good. I put the bacon cold on a cold pan then heated it up on low heat on my beautiful electric stove (ha yea right) then once the fat started rendering I flipped it over and moved the pan around a little to distribute the fat. I eventually turned up the heat a little from 2.4 to 3.5 out of 10 to speed things up a little.

About half way through cooking I noticed a little sticking going on and once done there was some leftovers as in the pics below. Also I at first forgot to blot the bacon with paper towels in case it was wet but then took it out of the pan and upon blotting I didn't see any evidence of water then I plopped the bacon back in the pan.

I boiled off most of the crap but then a film was leftover. Uncle Scott tackles this bacon film in his video here. Do I need to reseason after the light steel wool scrub that removes the film? I'd have to do it in the oven as far as I know since my stove is electric. Is there any other way to deal with this and salvage the existing seasoning? Anything else to know?

After frying bacon:

20230817_185811.jpg

After boiling away the crap, see the film:

20230818_142253.jpg

I would say no, you do not have to reseason. OTHER THAN wiping it down like you normally would after using and cleaning the pan.

You might try a spray oil. It contains a soy lecithin which I read somewhere has a non-stick property. Can't remember if it was America's Test Kitchen, Serious Eats or where I read it. And whether you use Pam or a store brand, regular cooking spray or olive oil spray - they work!

@Kathleen I just seasoned it in my oven, I used a tiny bit too much oil, but just a tiny bit.

@dragnlaw What's the spray oil for? Just to replace whatever oil I use before cooking?

Also I've been communicating with a Made In customer service dude here and there, here's what he said:

Sugar is common as curing agent or flavor agent. And sugar becomes acidic as it is heated. Salt and oil will clean it. Despite what our instructions say, I don't think bacon is a great thing to cook to get the seasoning going.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom