Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overload of peppers. Multicolored shishito and Hungarian wax peppers. Bringing them in to work tomorrow to distribute to some co-workers.

Attachments

• Peppers .png
    Peppers .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
More peppers!
I must say, that Pumpkin Spice Jalapeño I grew the first time this year is very productive, and a good flavor, but little heat (for those who like that). And this isn't just me - a friend I sent some of the first ones with (another plus - one of the earliest of the season) asked me if I had grown some sweet peppers! And the jalapeño m wasn't much hotter, but it also wasn't as productive. The pumpkin spice plants were loaded with full sized (another thing - not very large, about 2") green ones, and many smaller ones, in addition to the ripe ones I picked. Those smaller ones in the photo were knocked off, by accident. Arunas were loaded, again, and the misc. Thai peppers were loaded with reds and browns.
Ripen Aruna peppers, 9-12 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ripe and ripening Thai peppers, 9-12 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Misc. peppers - Big Mic, Joe E Parker, Pumpkin Spice Jalapeño, Jalapeño M, Datil, Aji Dulce, Hanoi Market 9-12 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I cleaned up one of the beds in my garden, and got some kohlrabi, plus a couple of onions I missed, when digging those earlier! There were plants of two greens - senposai and misome - loaded with leaves still. The senposai had only bolted in early August, the misome not at all! (Most brassicas bolt in June, or before, in this area). I clipped the seed head from the senposai, and this triggered a bunch of side shoots. I've been using these leaves, as needed, but I'll have more greens for the fall, so I cut those up for the compost, and cleaned the bed out.
Kohlrabi, from the cleaned out bed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And a couple of days ago, I harvested some Swiss chard, only because it was hanging way out over my lawn, from the front flowerbed. So I trimmed them, before mowing - only 15 leaves, but a lot more to come!
Rubarb chard, from Burpee. Larger than Ruby. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I cleaned up one of the beds in my garden, and got some kohlrabi, plus a couple of onions I missed, when digging those earlier! There were plants of two greens - senposai and misome - loaded with leaves still. The senposai had only bolted in early August, the misome not at all! (Most brassicas bolt in June, or before, in this area). I clipped the seed head from the senposai, and this triggered a bunch of side shoots. I've been using these leaves, as needed, but I'll have more greens for the fall, so I cut those up for the compost, and cleaned the bed out.
Kohlrabi, from the cleaned out bed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And a couple of days ago, I harvested some Swiss chard, only because it was hanging way out over my lawn, from the front flowerbed. So I trimmed them, before mowing - only 15 leaves, but a lot more to come!
Rubarb chard, from Burpee. Larger than Ruby. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Wife planted out silver beet yesterday. We love it here.

Russ

:oops: we are all waiting!
I'm waiting too! I want to get some balsamic vinegar to use with honey, to use as a glaze after I bake slices to get them starting to brown, then bake it with the glaze on them. Freaky squash with a balsamic glaze. lol

Which one is the freaky squash? The pale green one that is pointy at both ends? Can you tell that I don't know much about squash?
The ones that are LIKE carnival squash. They look like acorn squash with a more colorful outside. But the ones in the last picture have these extraordinary ridges that stick out further and the coloring spreads in a strange directions instead of going from end to end and different than normal smoother carnival squash.
The normal carnival squash are the littler ones in the first two pictures.

My friend and I took her 11 year old daughter apple-picking. I made applesauce with some. Have plans for apple butter with some. Maybe a pie. I do have a passel of apples! *happy dances* I am also saving apple scraps to make apple scrap cider....or vinegar if it doesn't turn out. ;)

20230925_133514.jpg

My friend and I took her 11 year old daughter apple-picking. I made applesauce with some. Have plans for apple butter with some. Maybe a pie. I do have a passel of apples! *happy dances* I am also saving apple scraps to make apple scrap cider....or vinegar if it doesn't turn out. ;)

View attachment 66214

Our daughter has a tree as well. I get enough to make apple sauce.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom