Kitchen Remodeling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedevowi

Assistant Cook
Kitchen remodeling is something that most of us have either done or at least seriously contemplated. It’s an agonizing process and a strain on any relationship. The thought behind this thread is that the more practical help we can get on kitchen remodeling the better.
The inspiration for this thread was when I realized that I know of 5 kitchens that have recently had complete remodels; each is very nice & each is very different. So, I talked to our friends & got their permission to photograph their kitchens and for them to answer a series of questions. I also have their agreement to answer any questions that you may have. (The answers will come through me as I want to maintain privacy for my friends.)
In each post there will be a complete description of the kitchen along with lots of photos.
In addition here is a list of standard questions I intend to ask.
Q. What was your kitchen before it was a kitchen?
Q. How large is the kitchen?
Q. What kind of cooking do you do? Family? Dinner parties? Ethnic? Gourmet?
Q. What were the 3 top goals for your new kitchen?
Q. What was the biggest problem that had to be over come?
In the design phase ? During actual construction ?
Q. What are you most pleased about in your new kitchen?
Q. Least pleased about?
Q. If you were doing your kitchen again what would you change?
What I’m looking for with this initial thread starting post is feedback. How much interest is there in the topic? Are there other questions I should be asking? Would anybody else like to write up their kitchen once they’ve seen these write ups?
I’ll be starting with our own kitchen so here’s a teaser picture.
gallery_22910_3437_6473.jpg

Just when the nightmares have ended....

We remodeled our kitchen which had a stove from the 40s during the pandemic. The highs, lows, and horrors are all in this thread. Someone said that a kitchen remodel is like birth - after it is over, you only remember the good. :)

A few pointers
  • Before you start, know where you will place everything when it is completed. Plates, pans, utensils, etc.
  • I was our project manager - OMG, what a nightmare BUT we saved a ton of money and I learned a lot. If you can weather ups and downs stoically, go for it...otherwise hire someone. (For example, did you know that floor tiling with the same scu and manufacturer can have tile of various sizes? Well....they can! Your project manager can deal with that. :LOL: )
  • I wish I had installed an instant hot water tap - but...I d id not know about them until more recently. I had wanted a pot filler...but my kitchen is so small, the hose on the sink will reach. I am glad that I didn't get that.
The thread has before, after, and during photos. Good luck to you!

Me also - I’m looking at a complete renovation of our kitchen at my new home, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 🫠

Tips:
Electrical outlets - put in more than you think you need.
" " - be sure they are not all on the same circuit. Many Electricians are not cooks, don't realize how many appliances could be used at the same time.
Cupboards deep enough to house appliances not kept on counter.
Cupboards should go all the way to ceiling - waste not, want not. :)
If you must have shelves above cupboards - line them with old newspaper - easy to clean, just remove and replace. No one can see them.

Corner cupboards - insist on open corner cupboards, (not the doors but under the counter). Like when carpenters used to build the cupboards directly onto the walls "back in the good old days". Now-a-days they build boxes, bring them in and screw them up, add doors, done. Easy peasy for them, but wasted space for you. BUT you want that corner open - I'm not talking lazy suzy type corners. Yes, difficult to reach but good for little used items and still be in the kitchen. It's better than loosing space!
When I had a kitchen remodeled eons ago, emptied all cupboards into boxes. Remodeling took place, went to put all back and was left with 1/3rd of the boxes with no place to put them.
Each box they screw up to the wall side by side you are having a double wall. Eventually you can lose up to 1/3rd of space.

When I redid the farmhouse - I totally insisted on all of the above. Cupboard guy was a little upset- didn't want to do it but I insisted and after 10 years I was never sorry a single day.

My advice is to stay away from "designer" kitchens. The designers design for looks, not function. When we moved here on the farm, it took me about a full year to correct the idiotic shelving, cabinet handles, and lack of hangers for cutting boards, pot holders, etc.
The previous owners obviously did not cook, but did read a lot of magazines!

My advice is to stay away from "designer" kitchens. The designers design for looks, not function. When we moved here on the farm, it took me about a full year to correct the idiotic shelving, cabinet handles, and lack of hangers for cutting boards, pot holders, etc.
The previous owners obviously did not cook, but did read a lot of magazines!
LOL - another important tip! Make sure your fingers fit loosely in/on/around the handles. Shut a cupboard/drawer and sprain you finger as it gets stuck at an awkward angle, it ruddy well hurts!
good one Marlingardener!

One thing I really like is that I placed drawers rather than shelves in the cabinets. It makes it so much easier to retrieve pots, pans or other items for me. I had pull out shelves, but the drawers are so much better for me.

For my kitchen it was about the structure of the house. The previous owner had cut a passthrough through a bearing wall. The new design called for eliminating the wall entirely. So there are support beams to be added above and to the sides and how do you incorporate the necessary structure in ways that seem to flow naturally to the rest of the spaces. Which mostly means hiding those structural bits.

And that the house was 70 years old and has settled somewhat unevenly as 70 year old houses do.

Well, the good news is that the "settling" is probably finished.

When I redid the bathroom, the guy had to shave 3" off the horizontal logs that were the supports for that side and corner of the house. That's how much of a slope there was on the floor. Shiimmed in many places, but I near had heart failure.

This log house was originally built directly on the ground on peeled logs. Then they dug a basement out and put those logs on top of fieldstones. You could see dry rot on them but not deep. When he had to shave them down I was amazed at just how solid those logs still were... after more than 200 years!

This log house was originally built directly on the ground on peeled logs. Then they dug a basement out and put those logs on top of fieldstones. You could see dry rot on them but not deep. When he had to shave them down I was amazed at just how solid those logs still were... after more than 200 years!

As long as the logs can dry they'll last a long time. It's once you start adding insulation to the system that it gets hard to get everything to balance right. Now the dew point can move inside the wall and condense on the structure and the insulation. so you have to manage your air and vapor barriers and make sure that there's a way for things to drain even though you think no water is getting in there, it does.

My house has a brick veneer, an air gap and cinder block. There's no wood in the outside frame of my house and no insulation either. I've got a lot of insulation in the roof.

@pedevowi When I saw the cabinet suggestions dragnlaw mentioned - go to the ceiling, and the dead end cabinets - it reminded me of some things I did in my kitchen. In the dead end cabinet, where it's hard to get back into the corner, I made 2 sliding shelves - one, where it is easy to get to, but I would have to remove much of what I use frequently, to get to the stuff in the dead end, now, that entire shelf slides out, and a shelf slides into the empty spot, from the dead end, making it easy to get to.
Right shelf in dead end cabinet. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dead end section, pulled to the section the shelf pulled all the way out of the cabinet. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A similar shelf was built to go under the sink, to hold the cleaning items, and make the ones in the back accessible. I also coated it with a couple layers of that clear epoxy coating, in case anything leaks - water, or any of the cleaning items, as nothing will damage that.

And for cabinets to the ceiling, I have a cabinet over the microwave that is up to the ceiling, and even for me (at 6'6") I could only get what was in the very front, without a ladder, or some step stool! So I made 2 shelves, so I can slide them out, and get the things all the way in the back. Most people still need a step stool, but it still makes it easier to get to things in the back.
Shelf on drawer slides, to make back of cabinet over microwave accessible. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Classic vs. modern is really your decision. You'll be looking at it every day!

We did a remodel in 2008 and I opted for a quartz countertop. Quartz is harder than granite or marble, impervious to heat, needs no maintenance other cleaning the surface and are available in a myriad of colors and designs. Here is a link so you can get an idea of the patterns and styles available. https://www.cambriausa.com/quartz-countertops/quartz-colors This is the company we used but there are others that probably have different patterns.

Hey! I'm embarking on a kitchen remodeling project and could use some insights from those who have been through it. I'm torn between classic and modern styles. What's your take on the timeless appeal of classic designs versus the sleek efficiency of modern kitchens? Also, any recommendations for durable yet stylish countertops and space-saving storage solutions would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if you've tackled a kitchen remodel recently, please share any unexpected challenges you faced and how you overcame them. Looking forward to tapping into this community's wealth of experience!

All three of my homes have been new builds, but I've still had to make choices. In my current home, I was able to specify pretty much everything for my kitchen, like you would for a remodel.

What I suggest is that you look at a lot of kitchen designs in magazines and on kitchen design web sites. Pick out a bunch that you like, and determine what they have in common. I discovered that I like the warmth of real wood, and a style along the lines of American Craftsman style. I also like bold, warm colors in the kitchen. I do NOT like stainless steel appliances.

Then, you have to develop a budget, and decide what you will spend more on, and what to save money on. In my case, Having custom built, real hardwood wood cabinets and a very quiet dishwasher were high priorities. Granite countertops would have been nice, but not as high of a priority. I found a quality laminate that I really liked, and saved money that way. 23 years later, I still have those countertops, and still like them.

If you are torn between classic and modern, you can do some mixing. A good designer can come up with a blend of the two that works.

My kitchen style...

1707269978844.png

CD

It was not easy due to the fact it was our kitchen that was completely out of commission. I was able to do some items with the microwave and instapot which I placed in the basement. With some preplanning, I was able to freeze some meals for the microwave. Now, by the basement, I cooked on top of the washing machine since I had water in the laundry sink. We also made heavy use of paper plates and napkins, but we typically used our regular flatware for meals.

Our remodel took about 4 times longer than expected. Honestly, had it been on schedule, it would have been a pain for three weeks, but totally doable. Obviously longer was also doable, but it was done during the pandemic. Items would be cancelled by companies and I would not be informed until I called and said, "Um...where is our refrigerator (microwave, hood, etc.?)" They would tell me that the order had been cancelled. I'd then have to scramble to find another or substitute.

My saving grace was our contractor. He was outstanding and tried to stay on top of all of the moving parts. Like you, we gutted everything and needed new wiring, pipes, and the entire thing sorted from top to bottom. Fun times. It would be easier to rent a place - and at the beach!? Nice!!! However, you won't enjoy the stories nearly as much nor fuss with the dust if you do. 🤣

If you are interested in our step by step progress, there is a link here: https://www.discusscooking.com/threads/a-remodel-of-our-itty-bitty-kitchen.105910/

We're going to be doing a complete kitchen remodel. The plan is to gut the room and completely redo it. How difficult is it to live in the house while something like this is happening? Since both work and school are remote, should we just go rent a beach house for a week or something?
A week is optimistic. Make sure you have purchased and received all the new appliance, cabinets, countertops, plumbing fixtures, etc. so there are no delays waiting for one or two items. Whether or not you can deal with such a disruption is up to you. You can make it a challenge or a huge burden.

You can also plan with your contractor to install the stove and fridge earlier rather than later.

We're going to be doing a complete kitchen remodel. The plan is to gut the room and completely redo it. How difficult is it to live in the house while something like this is happening? Since both work and school are remote, should we just go rent a beach house for a week or something?

A week? How about a month, perhaps more. A complete gut and rebuild will take that long, if done right. If any contractor tells you they can do it in a week, RUN AWAY!

Also, if your contractor says you don't need permits for this job, another reason the run away. Permits and inspections are for your protection. They will add some time and expense, but skip them at your own risk.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom