Poorly Designed Measuring Cup Warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
While making soup today, the recipe calls for adding 5 cups of hot water into the pot. I have an instant hot on my sink, so I got the water from that. I also have a 4 cup measuring cup, so I figured I'd take 4 cups then 1 cup. The sink is a few feet away from the stove top, so I filled the cup up and took a few steps to go and pour it into the pot with the other ingredients in it. As you know, when you walk with something filled with liquid, the liquid kinda moves and shimmy's a bit ( unless you're very careful, which I'm not). This stupid measuring cup kinda dips down where the handle is ( see the picture). Since 4 cups is almost to the top ( and practically at the level where the handle is attached), any slight movement of the liquid causes it to pour down the handle , which is attached to my hand, and therefore, burning the skin.

It definitely could have been worse, as the burn wasnt too bad. I also partially blame myself, as the same thing happened, a few weeks ago, with cold water and I yelled at my wife ( who bought them) that we need new ones, as these are designed poorly and someone is going to get hurt ( me). I've been meaning to get new ones, but haven't got around to it yet.

But even with my carelessness and already knowing the flaws of the measuring cup, I still wonder what they were thinking when they designed this thing. Every other one I have or have had has an equal rim all at the same height throughout the whole circumference.

I will get new cups and toss these dangerous pieces of crap.

Just wanted to get this out there so if your looking for new measuring cups ( or someone is looking for you), make sure you check for this before purchasing ( unless you enjoy the challenge of trying not to burn yourself while transferring hot liquids. And sure, I would have done 3 cups + 2 cups and not been so close to the rim, but that's not the point.

Attachments

• Burn.png
    Burn.png
    922.9 KB · Views: 12
  • MC3.png
    MC3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • MC2.png
    MC2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • MC1.png
    MC1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Well, that sucks. God bedring (Danish for good bettering). That does look and sound like bad design to me. Maybe they though it looked more interesting that way?

I have some Pyrex measuring cups that I have had forever. I collected, piece by piece, a set of 3 sizes: 2 litre (2 quart), 1 litre, and quarter litre (1 cup). That was in the early 1980s, when I was a lot younger and poor. Then, in the late 1990s, I joined Costco and they had those sets for a bargain. I promptly bought 2 sets. The three measuring cups nest nicely. They are still work horses around my house. The 1 and 2 litre sizes are great as mixing bowls. We also use them to heat soup in the microwave. I finally learned how to pour out of the bigger ones without spilling. I have to pour slowly enough that it doesn't slop over the edge on either side of the spout. D'oh!

I had those crappy cheap ones you get at like a dollar store, which did fine until the multiple trips through the dish washer did them in ( cheap plastic that cracked over time). They have been cheap, and not lasted a life time, but at least I didn't injure myself with them.:rolleyes:

Ginny, I really want to get a one cup measure of the type you linked to, or possibly a two cup measure. I am not giving up my Pyrex ones and don't much spare space. I think it would be a squeeze to find space for just a single cup measure. :ermm:

Ginny, I really want to get a one cup measure of the type you linked to, or possibly a two cup measure. I am not giving up my Pyrex ones and don't much spare space. I think it would be a squeeze to find space for just a single cup measure. :ermm:
I really like them. If you like, I could measure them...but it probably wouldn't tell you if you might be able to nest it into something that you already have? I like them, since I can just look down to see the measurements, instead of trying to bend or lift to see the mark. I especially love the 1/4 cup version. They have ounce marking along with the tablespoon markings. They have ml markings, but only on the outside. The two sets I have do nest together. I have an 8-cup measure cup too, but that's a whole other beast!

IMG_6827.jpg

I really like them. If you like, I could measure them...but it probably wouldn't tell you if you might be able to nest it into something that you already have? I like them, since I can just look down to see the measurements, instead of trying to bend or lift to see the mark. I especially love the 1/4 cup version. They have ounce marking along with the tablespoon markings. They have ml markings, but only on the outside. The two sets I have do nest together. I have an 8-cup measure cup too, but that's a whole other beast!

View attachment 62324
Thanks for the offer of measuring the cup. I think the possible spaces are of such odd shapes that measurements wouldn't really help.

The part about looking down into the cup to read the amount is very appealing. I have been eyeing cups of this type for a while.

Love my measuring cups. For everyday meals, I'll grab a styrofoam cup for quick. I know what a cup or 4 cups look like in my pot or bowl when it's empty of other ingredients. I just do not like putting oil in my cups. I have some novelty measuring cups & spoons ... I have not tested each for accuracy because I don't use them.

My multi-cup measuring cups are always glass. Usually Pyrex.
There are several measuring cups in the kitchen. I always reach for the glass Pyrex cups.
To me there is none better.
I do use ST cups (set) as well when I want very precise measuring.

I have multiple measuring cups, glass (pyrex) from 1 cup up to 8 cups. The individual ones either plastic or metal is mostly used for dry. (their intention of course.)

Yes, I too like that style Ginny, as taxy says, being able to look down from the top to see the liquid measure is great. A gal pal has one, I've used it, just like yours Ginny. But whatI did not like was the top of the handle where stuff gets in and mucky difficult to get out. Not exactly like larry's the design is almost the same, difference being the thumb is protected by a wall of the cup. Only it does get gunk in it.

I have multiple measuring cups, glass (pyrex) from 1 cup up to 8 cups. The individual ones either plastic or metal is mostly used for dry. (their intention of course.)

Yes, I too like that style Ginny, as taxy says, being able to look down from the top to see the liquid measure is great. A gal pal has one, I've used it, just like yours Ginny. But whatI did not like was the top of the handle where stuff gets in and mucky difficult to get out. Not exactly like larry's the design is almost the same, difference being the thumb is protected by a wall of the cup. Only it does get gunk in it.
I've not once had that issue. I've had these cups for over 10 years. That said, after use, they are immediately washed or set, upside down, in the dishwasher. Maybe that's the difference?:unsure:

I do wonder about that design decision on the read-from-the-top measuring cups. The design that makes a bit that obviously wants to collect dirt. It doesn't look like it would be hard to clean, but it would bug me. It's not nearly as bad as putting the vents on the oven door on the top horizontal part of the door instead of just below that on the vertical part of the door. Of course stuff falls in between the glass panes in the door, with holes on top. Just one more example of someone who doesn't cook, or at least not very much, designing cooking stuff. Or maybe the designers do cook, but don't do the cleaning.

I do wonder about that design decision on the read-from-the-top measuring cups. The design that makes a bit that obviously wants to collect dirt. It doesn't look like it would be hard to clean, but it would bug me . . .
I see the issue but a dirty measuring cup goes into the dishwasher upside down and comes out clean. Not even close to being as big an issue as Larry's Food Network cup.

I see the issue but a dirty measuring cup goes into the dishwasher upside down and comes out clean. Not even close to being as big an issue as Larry's Food Network cup.
Oh, I agree that it's nothing compared with a design that makes the cup spill. But, it would still bug me. ;)

I just find it amazing that everyone seems to put their measuring cups into the dishwasher. I honestly cannot ever remember a time I did that. Same with the mixing bowls or anything else used to prep a meal and/or baking. All went into the sink directly to be washed up and out of the way to serve.

I just find it amazing that everyone seems to put their measuring cups into the dishwasher. I honestly cannot ever remember a time I did that. Same with the mixing bowls or anything else used to prep a meal and/or baking. All went into the sink directly to be washed up and out of the way to serve.
I don't find it amazing at all. If it's dishwasher safe it goes in the dishwasher. I wash my knives and most of my pots and pans by hand. Sometimes pots and pans too if there's room.

I put mine in the DW all the time, unless I measured water! I wash all the knives by hand, and most large items, but it saves water putting most other things in the DW. Even my KA bowl, and Instant Pot pot get put in, depending on the space in there at the time. I always put that 1 qt saucepan in there, that I use for the tarkas, as it is oily, and gets clean better that way. Why have a DW, if you don't use it? Unless, of course, it's one of those you have to rinse every single dish, before putting it in! My parents had one like that when I was much younger, but they've gotten better. lol

I guess 5 kids while growing up didn't leave much room in the dishwasher. By the time I had my own dishwasher, it happened I had aluminum pots and I didn't like what happened to the colour nor the handles. Habit I guess.
But even stainless pots got often got that metalic sheen in the DW. Nope, all done by hand.

Well, with only 2 people eating, I need to put everything possible in the DW. Otherwise, it won't be full enough to run and then I'll run out of DW space on Day 2 'cuz the Day 1 dishes are still in there! Trust me...it is an ongoing struggle with DH who used to be the DW before we moved to this house that came with a DW....LOL.

Back
Top Bottom