Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So in Danish a Plum Compote translates to porridge?
No, in Danish a "kompot" doesn't use any thickener like corn starch or potato starch. "Grød" is used both for porridge and for that type of thickened fruit dessert. Sometimes it is translated as "pudding". But, the recipe that I shared is definitely not what we mean by "plum pudding" in English.

No, in Danish a "kompot" doesn't use any thickener like corn starch or potato starch. "Grød" is used both for porridge and for that type of thickened fruit dessert. Sometimes it is translated as "pudding". But, the recipe that I shared is definitely not what we mean by "plum pudding" in English.

I did an image search on Startpage, and found this...

1719089309793.png

It looks pretty soupy. Some images looked even more soupy.

CD

Compote and your porridge have nothing in common with an English Plum Pudding! "Plum Pudding" contains bread, suet, raisins, candied fruit peel, spices, brown sugar and whiskey!

ahh... sorry, I get it now, you are referring to a pudding or custard such as made with a milk type thing. Got it!

Compote and your porridge have nothing in common with an English Plum Pudding! "Plum Pudding" contains bread, suet, raisins, candied fruit peel, spices, brown sugar and whiskey!

ahh... sorry, I get it now, you are referring to a pudding or custard such as made with a milk type thing. Got it!
And that is why I don't translate blommegrød to "plum pudding".

That's what I meant by "even more soupy." I had no idea what it was supposed to look like.

CD
Do you mean that the images in the search that I linked looked soupy? Some of them aren't smooth and even across the top. The stuff has a texture similar to vanilla pudding with a bit of fruit in it, not as solid as Jello, but it definitely mounds.

Here's are recipe for Danish plum porridge, a really lovely dessert. I translated it into English.

Thank you so much @taxlady , this sounds very good, it's early morning here so I can try and make this for my breakfast 😃. Perfect timing!

Yesterday evening, I used some of these plums to bake an "upside-down plum cake" which didn't come out too bad, but I expected something tastier and prettier. I could probably serve it with some pastry cream to make it more appetizing. I'll try and send a photo even if it doesn't look very attractive, the fruit got a bit burnt and stuck to the baking paper😕.

Attachments

• IMG_20240623_054832.jpg
    IMG_20240623_054832.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 11
I think Meryl's are ripe. Perhaps .... "ROAD TRIP!"
Who's game?
Yes, they are, too ripe! A lot of them have fallen off. It's just that this tree has been ignored for a few years as it never produced many fruits, until this year when it's suddenly come back to life, perhaps because of a very mild winter.

I wonder how long a road trip would take? 🤔🙂

I've never really understood what the original recipe for plum pudding is! Is it like the traditional British Christmas pudding? Is it also an American tradition at Christmas?
When I lived in the UK, my mum would buy it at the supermarket every Christmas - Marks&Spencer sold the best - served with brandy sauce (store bought, ready-made) we never tried to make one, looks sooooo difficult to make, such long procedures.

Yes, Meryl, British plum pudding is the same thing as Xmas pudding.

And, that recipe I shared isn't a breakfast dish. It's a dessert. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having it for breakfast. It's just not what most Danes would do. Well, I might, if there was some leftover from being a dessert.

Yes, Meryl, British plum pudding is the same thing as Xmas pudding.

And, that recipe I shared isn't a breakfast dish. It's a dessert. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having it for breakfast. It's just not what most Danes would do. Well, I might, if there was some leftover from being a dessert.

Thank you for this explanation @taxlady ,it's just that being British born, when you mentioned "porridge", I immediately thought of British breakfast. 😅

Thank you for this explanation @taxlady ,it's just that being British born, when you mentioned "porridge", I immediately thought of British breakfast. 😅
That's what I figured. In Danish, grød would be a breakfast dish if it was havregrød (oatmeal) or byggrød (barley porridge) or boghvedegrød (buckwheat porridge). But, there is a whole class of grød that is made from fruit, frugtgrød, which includes the blommegrød (plum porridge). The various types of frugtgrød are desserts.

Last edited:
Yes, they are, too ripe! A lot of them have fallen off. It's just that this tree has been ignored for a few years as it never produced many fruits, until this year when it's suddenly come back to life, perhaps because of a very mild winter.

I wonder how long a road trip would take? 🤔🙂
There was a time when Google Maps would give you a route over (or under?) the ocean if you put in a destination you couldn't drive to directly 😁

Back
Top Bottom