Xanthan gum uses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
What has anyone in here used xanthan gum for? I am hoping it gives my gummies recipe the texture it should have, but not sure how much to use.

Xanthan gum is a great choice for chewy gummies! Just start with a tiny amount (like a quarter teaspoon for a whole batch) and add more in small bits if needed, since a little goes a long way. Good luck!

It is difficult to mix it in without it clumping. I use it to slightly thicken salad dressing by adding 1/4 tsp to a blender w/2 cups of dressing. It doesn't require heating to thicken but it takes a few minutes to notice the thickening.

I add a little bit to cold soups/juices in the Vitamix, that might separate, when I chill them. It doesn't take much - only 1/4 tsp to a qt or so, maybe a little more for really watery things, like cucumbers, and if I've added yogurt. I open the top, and get the VM running fast enough to form a vortex, then slowly add the XG to this. Then, I put the plug back into the top, and increase the speed to high, and it thickens quickly.

Back
Top Bottom