2024 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, here are the Bosworth Jumbles!
Bosworth Jumbles .jpg

And to prove they would fit on the side of a mug...

Bosworth Jumble on Mug.jpg

As for taste? Well, surprisingly flavourful actually. Good lemon flavour coming through - would probably add a bit more Almond Essence next time. And pretty straightforward to make - though forming the "esses" was a bit of a chore! (And I wasn't too consistent about it as you can see!) However, it's all about the taste, and that was very good so I am happy I tried them.

Well done! I'll have the 3rd one from the left please. Hold on a minute while I get my coffee.

So re-reading your first post... Which part of Bosworth and/or Jumble refers to King Richard? or they don't say?

It's all yours Dragn! LOL

The only connection with Richard III is that he was apparently very fond of them and one was found on the field after the Battle of Bosworth. (Which doesn't mean it was one of his of course.)

I baked a focaccia with escarole (sautéed) , chopped Parma ham and cheese (scamorza). I must admit it came out quite good, much better than other times. The bread dough rose very well due to warmer room temperature and adding some Manitoba flour (20% of the flour dose).
As you can see, half of its gone, me and my daughter indulged, plenty left for my son when he gets home, although he's a "pasta freak", not a lover of pies/pizza.

Attachments

• IMG_20240609_132529.jpg
    IMG_20240609_132529.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240609_145315.jpg
    IMG_20240609_145315.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 18
I didn't bake this today, but after eating the last 3 sandwiches from my last loaf of rye bread, I realized that I could still bake some more, even though I almost never turn on an oven, when it's this hot out! :ohmy: I just bake it outside! So I started a sponge, with 1 c rye, 3/4 c barley flour, 2 tsp yeast, and a tb of caraway, with 1¼ c water, and set it aside to rise 2 or 3 days, then I'll continue the bread. I'll have to go w/o bread for that time, but I'll survive. :LOL:

And here it is, baked outside!
This started with that sponge with some rye and barley flour, with a tb each of caraway and instant yeast and some water. It sat on my counter for 3 days. I was making these outside on my grill, since I don't like to turn the oven on in this heat! Or any kitchen heat, for that matter! First, I made the chicken I was going to marinate, to grill after the bread (something else to cook outside!) and put that in the fridge, then made the bread. I added the sponge, some essential gluten (since I had so much rye flour), a little brewer's yeast, blackstrap molasses, oil, a tb of salt, 2 more tsp of yeast, another tb of caraway, 2 c water, and 4 c of whole rye flour, then mixed it all up with the bread whisk, then put the bowl on the mixer, with 2 c WW flour, and set it to mix with the dough hook on 4 for 6 minutes. This was fairly quick, since this time, with the hydration being perfect, once the "kneading" started - no extra flour needed (what usually happens), so it was all whole grain, and not too dry.
Here's that rye/barley sponge, that I started 3 days ago, getting ready to make 2 loaves of bread, outside, on the grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread dough, a little more than 68 oz, ready to rise, and make into 2 loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Risen bread dough, ready to bake on the grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished rye bread, baked on grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread didn't keep much of the height, but that's normal, with a bread using that much rye, compared to WW. Only added 1/4 c gluten - could have used more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom