Saturday Night Supper 29 June 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those sound a lot like ABTs - Atomic Buffalo Turds. I should make ABTs again soon.

Yeah, minus the chicken. ABTs are just jalapeños stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. Take the cheese stuffed jalapeño, wrap it in chicken, and then wrap that in bacon, and you have a chicken bomb. ABTs are an appy, while chicken bombs are a meal.

CD

Yeah, minus the chicken. ABTs are just jalapeños stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. Take the cheese stuffed jalapeño, wrap it in chicken, and then wrap that in bacon, and you have a chicken bomb. ABTs are an appy, while chicken bombs are a meal.

CD
I have always stuffed some sausage or hot dog (smoked pork sausage) inside the jalapeños, along with the cheese and cream cheese. We have shared a large plate of ABTs as part of a "pub night" supper. I think I'll stick with the ABTs. That's too much fiddling around with raw chicken for my taste. I would happily eat them if offered some.

I haven't made chicken bombs in a few years. I use BS chicken thighs instead of breasts. I sometimes smoke them with oak or hickory.

View attachment 69794

CD
Did you use whole small jalapenos? or are those only looking whole as they've folded over? Do thighs take longer to smoke than breasts? How long (approx) did you have to smoke them?
Was liking those and thinking of using my stovetop smoker.
I guess I can't or shouldn't compare stovetop smoking to one of your big smokers but it would give me an idea of how long.

I have always stuffed some sausage or hot dog (smoked pork sausage) inside the jalapeños, along with the cheese and cream cheese. We have shared a large plate of ABTs as part of a "pub night" supper. I think I'll stick with the ABTs. That's too much fiddling around with raw chicken for my taste. I would happily eat them if offered some.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some ABTs. I'm just sayin' they ain't the same thing -- which I'm sure you already knew, but for the uninitiated, I felt it my duty to clarify. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Did you use whole small jalapenos? or are those only looking whole as they've folded over? Do thighs take longer to smoke than breasts? How long (approx) did you have to smoke them?
Was liking those and thinking of using my stovetop smoker.
I guess I can't or shouldn't compare stovetop smoking to one of your big smokers but it would give me an idea of how long.

OMG, you are asking me to remember how I cooked something. :ohmy:

I have used whole and halved jalapeños for chicken bombs. It depends on the size and heat level of the jalapeños.

Thighs probably take longer, but the nice thing about thighs is that they are much harder to overcook and dry out than breasts. You have more of a margin of error. Plus, I think they taste better. I don't recall a cooking time. I use an instant read digital thermometer, and with thighs, aim for around 175F.

Looking at my photo, I believe I used skin-on thighs, so I probably deboned them myself. It doesn't look like I used a bacon wrap that particular time. Getting the bacon wrap and the chicken to be done just right at the same time can be tricky.

If/when I do them again, I'll try to take some notes, so I can give a better description.

CD

Had to look that one up. Oh, what a surprise, it's another Kroger brand. Quality Food Stores. Washington and Oregon chain.

CD
When I was visiting my mom in Virginia about 15 years ago, I saw they had a Kroger store back there. I had only seen QFC in Washington state but knew it was a Kroger brand. So my mom and I went grocery shopping and I asked them if I could use my QFC card there. And they took it. I was pretty stoked that I could use my rewards card clear across the country.

When I was visiting my mom in Virginia about 15 years ago, I saw they had a Kroger store back there. I had only seen QFC in Washington state but knew it was a Kroger brand. So my mom and I went grocery shopping and I asked them if I could use my QFC card there. And they took it. I was pretty stoked that I could use my rewards card clear across the country.

Yes, I have used my Kroger discount card at all kinds of Kroger owned stores. I can also use my Tom Thumb card at any Albertsons owned store. I do get weird looks when I present a Tom Thumb card, since there are only 3 of those stores in the world. The cashiers are surprised when they scan my card, and it works. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Back
Top Bottom