The pain of watching someone cook who can't cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My son, the professional cook/chef, has had two $150 knives broken, and another with chipped edge by other cooks, in professional kitchens. He has a special bag that organizes, and protects his knives, and it's in a locked locker.

But it could be any tool. At Lockheed, we were expected to provide a set of our own hand tools, such things as multi-meters, micrometers, pliers, sanding blocks, and other tools needed to complete our tasks. The company provided the expensive stuff. We had to keep our tools on station, in a locked tool chest, or tools would walk. I my own kitchen, the wife was not all
owed to use my best knives, or Griswold pans. It's the nature of ownership.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's kind of cute for me that my husband (who doesn't cook at all, basically ate out 24/7 before he met me and thank goodness I'm refining his palette). Just last week I asked him to get out some almonds I wanted to use as a garnish for a soup. I wanted to chop them, so I asked him to get a handful. He's like. . .but how many?!? And I say 8 or something. So he proceeds to, with his tongue sticking out slightly, pull them out one by one until there was eight then stand back and wait for my approval. It's really endearing. I usually have him just stir things, but when I ask him to do things that are second nature to me, like cook somsomething to nappe or "check if it's done" he gets worried he'll mess it up (he has no idea what he's looking for) and then I'll be unhappy with the product. I've offered time and time again to teach him how to cook, but he is very uncreative and says he "can't get good" to which I tell him anyone can cook with a good techer. 😊

On another note, chopping seriously in the kitchen is something I still rarely do. It's a skill I should probably refine much more than I currently have, but I haven't put the time into. I have a kitchen aid (food processor attachment) that I usually put things through to slice/dice them, then I can just worry about the final product. That being said, the final product will probably be less good as uniformity is important to even cooking. I have a whetstone set, but I keep messing up sharpening. Maybe I should knuckle down and practice for a straight week or 10 years. Get down that perfect matchstick and dice and brunoise.

BAP yup, fully agree with you. In the end though - I've given up perfecting the cut. I'll never be fast - as cool as it looks - so slow and steady here.
I put in a bit of effort, but I am not going to go out and buy 5 lbs of carrots just to learn how to thinly julienne them. I have a mandolin that does that.
Same for the rest of the stuff. If I can't use the mandolin or the pulse on the Food Processor... well, you'll just have to live with eating unevenly cut ... whatevers! All tastes the same in the end. My tongue can't tell if each dice is the same.

Thanks! On that note, this is the Lao chicken I roasted yesterday for my sis, me, my husband, and my best friend! I made it with sticky rice and Jeow (garlic, chilis, and tons of fish sauce dipping sauce) which I made as traditional as I could but man was it salty! Next time I'll cut back on the fish sauce!

Attachments

• PXL_20241008_193704187.jpg
    PXL_20241008_193704187.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom