Would you use this can of beets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quit telling me that the beets are fine until you read the quote in my previous post, post #11

Quit telling me that the beets are fine until you read the quote in my previous post, post #11
Looking at your can, I’d still eat it. And I’m a food safety nut with an increasingly sensitive digestive system.

Botulism toxins aren’t killed by boiling, to my knowledge. But I don’t think botulism bacteria itself can live in the liquid beets are canned in. So no toxins would be produced.

Other bacteria?

The white albino deer has eaten most of the beets we planted. There are still two beets left I may get to harvest. Currently and nightly the deer goes to the green bean plant patch and has been eating the plants to the ground in about 2 foot sections per night. We figure he/she will be done in a week, saving us the trouble of cutting the plants down. He/she is also eating the apples and pears that hit the ground.
I have home canned beets and usually just drain them, add chopped onion, vinegar, a little sugar and nu-salt, let them sit for a few hours. I like the taste, mr bliss won't touch them.

you should buy them casey. Store away for rainy (think tornadoes and hurricanes) days.

I do, if it is something I will use. I got some 15oz cans of name brand diced tomatoes for something like 29 cents a can a while back. Small dents in the side of the cans. I'm still alive.

BTW, if a tornado hits my house, all of my food will be scattered over a few square miles (hopefully I won't also be scattered over a few square miles). Hurricanes don't hit North Texas. ;)

CD

Last edited:
Well casey, if you can crawl, don't worry about carrying supplies with you. You'll find your goods along the way. Be sure to carry a can opener though.

Tornados develop over land. Hurricanes develop over water. Correct?

taxy, I've already said how I feel about dented cans. Others are only expressing how they feel. To each their own.
I'm just pointing out that there can be risks, as mentioned in the article on the McGill University website. I do not want to be reassured by people who don't seem to have checked that they know what they are talking about. Sure, the chance that something bad will come of eating those beets is low, but why would I risk it for a $1.89 can of beets? If I get sick and pass out, who will notice and get me to the hospital quickly? Some friends who live nearby have a key to my house, but I don't talk to them every day, so it might be days or a week before they thought they needed to check.

Last edited:
Well casey, if you can crawl, don't worry about carrying supplies with you. You'll find your goods along the way. Be sure to carry a can opener though.

Tornados develop over land. Hurricanes develop over water. Correct?

Tornados can form over land or water. Over water, they are often called Waterspouts. They get a lot of them down in Florida.

Hurricanes need warm water to form and be sustained. They gradually fall apart after they make landfall. There is a big one hitting Florida late tomorrow -- Hurricane Milton). It is a Cat5 (winds measured at 160mph) now, but wind shear from a front is expected to weaken it before it makes landfall, but it is still going to be a major hurricane.

CD

Back
Top Bottom