Help to clarify this ingredient

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
A Betty Crocker recipe I'm looking at calls for this ingredient - 1/4cup chive-and-onion sour cream potato topper (from 12-oz container)

Is this just sour cream flavoured with chive & onion? Like the flavoured cream cheeses or sour cream dips?

I've never heard of "potato topper" anything.

Yes, flavored sour cream or cream cheese. Walmart carries this. There are other brands.
960.webp

Sour cream, chives, onions, seasonings, salt.
What are you making?

I followed the directions from @Cooking Goddess for ccb casserole. It was pretty good. And it was easier than that ccb pie.

Here's the link:

Well, I honestly don't think it looks easier. Seems to be about the same, as long as you have cooked chicken I don't think it really matters.
As a personal preference, I find that Jarlsburg and Emmental can sometimes be a bit overpowering. I will stick with Swiss or Gruyere.
Although I might do the slicing and searing if I'm starting off with raw chicken breast.
Also, in this particular case, with cubed meats, one does not have to use a knife.

Well, I honestly don't think it looks easier. Seems to be about the same, as long as you have cooked chicken I don't think it really matters.
As a personal preference, I find that Jarlsburg and Emmental can sometimes be a bit overpowering. I will stick with Swiss or Gruyere.
Although I might do the slicing and searing if I'm starting off with raw chicken breast.
Also, in this particular case, with cubed meats, one does not have to use a knife.
Just for the record, Jarlsburg and Emmental ARE Swiss cheese.

I eat supermarket Swiss or real Jarslburg at least three times a week on sandwiches. Jarlsburg is way more flavorful but about the mildest cheese you can find. Gruyere is my favorite cheese and way more assertive than J or E.

Can you find this brand? It’s super mild

Jarlsberg Cheese, 2-2.5 lbs.Jarlsberg Cheese, 2-2.5 lbs.

As said, they are "classified" as Swiss cheese. Don't ask a Swiss if they would like some Swiss cheese, they'll ask what kind (and probably wonder at your intelligence if you can't tell them).
North American Swiss Cheese does not exist in Europe (at least not yet?)
I believe that our Swiss Cheese is actually a blend of Jarlsberg and Emmental, maybe Gruyere too? All 3 being considered classified as Swiss cheese ergo the North American name "Swiss Cheese".

Yes, jennyema, I do believe we get that brand up here. It sure looks familiar.

Back
Top Bottom