I had to make some Thai curry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I knew I'd have a craving for Thai curry, after talking about it on another forum, so I got my oldest chicken and a pound of Thai beans from the freezer last night, along with my last cup of red curry paste, and thawed them in the fridge overnight. And I had all that butternut squash I had to use up (I had to cut a bad part out of one, and it was too much for this!), plus some mushrooms I had to use. Thai curry is something that I can put just about anything in, and it's still delicious!

This one has about 24 oz chicken, 22 oz of cut up butternut, 2 onions, cut into large chunks (something I put in most of these curries, for the sweetness), 16 oz frozen Thai red long beans, about 12 oz creminis, cleaned, quartered, and pre-cooked, plus the standard Thai curry ingredients - curry paste, fish sauce, lime leaves, palm sugar, Thai basil, and coconut milk. This was a lot - 40 oz of coconut milk, though 8 oz is cooked down, for that initial frying of the paste in the coconut oil.
Lime leaves, fish sauce, palm sugar, Hanoi Market chiles, and red curry paste, for Thai curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai long red beans, butternut, and onion chunks, for Thai curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A cup of the coconut cream, cooked down to separate, and caramelize some. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A cup of red curry paste, cooked in the coconut oil for 4-5 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chicken and everything except the butternut, cooking 10 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Thai curry, after cooking the last 15 minutes with the butternut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai curry, served around a mound of jasmine rice, mixed with millet. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That jasmine rice and millet mix is what I've been doing since trying to reduce that jasmine rice in my diet. I tried a number of grains; however, all but the millet drowned out the aroma of the jasmine rice. I soak the millet first for 25-30 minutes, then add the jasmine rice, and cook in the IP in rice mode - 12 minutes on low pressure. This is sort of brownish, only because I de-glazed the pan I pre-cooked the mushrooms in, and used that for some of the water.
Jasmine rice and millet, 1:2, steamed together in IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Now I have to make more curry paste - I'm out of green and red!

Diving in a bit late on your curry. Did it satisfy your craving? Certainly looks like it should have!

wish I had the umph to go the distance!

on the other hand, maybe I should just turn up at your front door. :rolleyes:

Too bad you don't live nearby, dragnlaw! I like sharing! And that does satisfy my craving...I just have to make more curry pastes now, to have in the freezer for when I get another craving - the rest of the dishes are easy.

Careful! New Jersey is within driving distance!

Unfortunately I am moving next month... another 6 hours further away, :(

Back
Top Bottom