Saturday night, 2024 July 29, did you have anything special for supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I cooked some thin pork chops Lyonnaise. That may be my favourite way to eat pork chops - delicious and very easy. I had home fries with that and some of the leftover broccoli salad from yesterday. Sadly, the broccoli had lost its pretty green colour and was sort of a khaki green. It all still tasted yummy. I had an Italian red wine with that.

Pork chops Lyonnaise, home fries, and broccoli salad.jpg

I spent the day making jam that didn't get set, I'm cooking it overnight now. And weeding, preparing for planting collards, watering flats.
Forgot about dinner so I'm cooking mushrooms, which go good with beans or veggie rice, or tofu steaks....whatever we feel like eating.
raspberry nice-cream for dessert.

Today I made another favorite dish of mine in the summer, for using all these veggies - ratatouille soup! With all the vegetables in this dish, only one - the bell pepper - didn't come from the garden! The original recipe had zucchini, but I never grow that, so I double the eggplant, but this time I used a little of one of those bottle gourds I had leftover from another dish. And in this double recipe I used up 4 lbs of the ripest tomatoes I had in there. This was a one dish meal, unless you count the Vitamix it was blended in.

I started it in the Instant Pot, with a chopped up onion in a little olive oil, on Sauté medium, and while that was cooking, I cut up the other ingredients, and added the garlic, cooked briefly, then added the bell pepper. After cooking a few more minutes, I added the gourd and eggplant, and cooked about 5 minutes, then added some basil and thyme, along with about 4 lbs of tomatoes, and 3½ c water, plus some vegetable stock paste (I forget the brand I use of that) - the original recipe just had 2 c of chicken stock, which seems like a waste, to me. I tasted for salt - didn't need a lot, after that paste, and set it to cook for 14 minutes, and let it release naturally. Then I used the immersion blender, only to totally mix it up, so I could blend it in the Vitamix, first weighing the soup in the IP container (which weighs 28.2 oz), and figured that 3 batches would be best to do, which was just over 39 oz each. And I blended them on medium, getting that vortex in the liquid, and slowly added through the hole in the lid a quarter tsp of xanthan gum, then increased the speed to maximum, blending about 30 sec, before pouring into the bowl, and blending the other two batches. It was almost too much for that 4 qt bowl, so I had a large bowl, to start with.
Eggplant and bottle gourd for the ratatouille soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ratatouille soup, starting in the Instant Pot, hidden by the steam, ready to add the gourd and eggplant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

4 lbs of tomatoes, added to the IP, along with herbs, salt, and pepper, to pressure cook 14 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ratatouille soup, blended with the immersion blender - not quite smooth enough, but makes it smooth enough to divide it up, to put into the Vitamix. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished ratatouille soup, blended in the Vitamix in 3 portions, with some xanthan gum, for a slight thickening. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished ratatouille soup, with a little more basil, and some croutons, served hot. Most of it I eat cold. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I've been doing nothing but watering - mine and my neighbors' yard. Then I started weeding. So tonight I just heated up one of those Totino pizzas - the square one. That and some nice iced tea before I go to bed will be just enough.

It's supposed to rain on Monday and the temp will only be 67°, so tomorrow I'm making potato bacon cheese soup to tide me over. I'm hoping for a day when I don't have to either water or weed. Of course, now I have to clean my trailer. Always something.

Back
Top Bottom