Samosas..cheap as chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Head Chef
I've just made and frozen samosas, 2 types vegetable includes potato and peas, and another beef mince. I've had all ingredients in my kitchen except the beef mince, this was a total spend of around $8 max. I made a total of 40 samosas.
These will be starters for friends that come for dinner. This will be an entree for approx 10 to 12 people. Cheap as chips.

Russ

Ditto! Me lurve samosers too!
Seriously, though, I’d love to have the recipe. Only if you can share it without killing us all, though! :;):

I've just made and frozen samosas, 2 types vegetable includes potato and peas, and another beef mince. I've had all ingredients in my kitchen except the beef mince, this was a total spend of around $8 max. I made a total of 40 samosas.
These will be starters for friends that come for dinner. This will be an entree for approx 10 to 12 people. Cheap as chips.

Russ
If it has beef filling it can't be Indian? Indian samosas are usually vegetarian no? Are these African or Asian in taste profile?

Last edited:
If it has beef filling it can't be Indian? Indian samosas are usually vegetarian no? Are these African or Asian in taste profile?
I just did some quick research. Not all Indians abstain from beef, and if you google “Indian recipes with beef,” you’ll come up with quite a few hits! I have yet to check my cookbooks, but I’d say, non-officially, of course, that including beef in an Indian recipe doesn’t dis-authenticate it.

I’m not Indian, but I have played one on tv! (Never)

From Madhur Jaffrey’s An Invitation to Indian Cooking:
Contrary to what most outsiders think, beef is eaten in India. About 80 percent of India is Hindu (those who, technically, do not eat beef) but the other 20 percent includes 60 million Muslims and 12 million Christians, i.e., 72 million people who can eat beef without battling their consciences first.

Thank you for the info. Learn something new every day.
You’re most welcome. It’s rare that I’m the answerer and not the questioner!

Madhur Jaffrey’s book is a really good read and resource, btw. If you’re interested in Indian cooking at any level, I highly recommend it!

72 million sounds like a lot until you consider the population of India is one 1.3 billion. So that works out to a little over one half of one percent of the population who might eat beef. Mind boggling numbers.

72 million sounds like a lot until you consider the population of India is one 1.3 billion. So that works out to a little over one half of one percent of the population who might eat beef. Mind boggling numbers.
Although Hindus are supposed to be vegetarian, many of them consume lamb, goat, pork and fish. I’ll bet a lot of them slip in a little beef, too, when they think know one’s looking.
My paternal grandmother kept a strict kosher home, except that she had a third set of dishes, flatware, cookware, and other kitchen accoutrements specifically for Grandpa, who loved rare, bloody steaks!

My paternal grandmother kept a strict kosher home, except that she had a third set of dishes, flatware, cookware, and other kitchen accoutrements specifically for Grandpa, who loved rare, bloody steaks!

:ROFLMAO:
I can only laugh at this, cause my wife's "kosher " Aunt Frida made a big stink about our wedding not being at a kosher venue, but when we saw her at another family event, she literally bullied her way to the front of the food line to pick off all of the shrimp that were tooth picked to the pineapple palm tree centerpiece.

The opinionated old bag, like just about everyone else, seemed to make up their own rules ( yet she had no problems criticizing everyone else rules. They called up to complain about us having a vegetarian wedding ( eggplant parmesan, 3 types of different stuffed home made ravioli....). She said we should have marked that it was vegetarian on the invitation, so people knew they should eat prior to coming. Oh wait, that was her husband Uncle Morris who did that.

Anyway, that felt good getting that one off my chest,

Thanks for listening ( and sorry for venting) :shock:

From Madhur Jaffrey’s An Invitation to Indian Cooking: Contrary to what most outsiders think, beef is eaten in India. About 80 percent of India is Hindu (those who, technically, do not eat beef) but the other 20 percent includes 60 million Muslims and 12 million Christians, i.e., 72 million people who can eat beef without battling their consciences first.

I just did some googling, because these numbers don't add up. The population of India is 1.35 billion, 172 million (approx. 13% of the total population) of which are Muslim, and 28 million (approx. 2% of the total population) of which are Christian. That totals approx. 15%

Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook was published in 1973, so the population statistics are over a half century old.

I can only laugh at this, cause my wife's "kosher " Aunt Frida made a big stink about our wedding not being at a kosher venue, but when we saw her at another family event, she literally bullied her way to the front of the food line to pick off all of the shrimp that were tooth picked to the pineapple palm tree centerpiece.

The opinionated old bag, like just about everyone else, seemed to make up their own rules ( yet she had no problems criticizing everyone else rules. They called up to complain about us having a vegetarian wedding ( eggplant parmesan, 3 types of different stuffed home made ravioli....). She said we should have marked that it was vegetarian on the invitation, so people knew they should eat prior to coming. Oh wait, that was her husband Uncle Morris who did that.

Thanks for listening ( and sorry for venting) :shock:

lol, it's not a jewish thing or a vegetarian thing, it is a control issue. I laughed, I have relatives like this too.

My mom is allergic to fish, so she says, so she only eats it once in a while!!! She ate fish ended up in the hospital getting adrenaline shots as her heart almost stopped after they gave her an anti-histamine. Then one day she invites herself over and I say that I don't have anything in the house to eat, but some tuna, and she says, 'are you trying to kill me?' Oops I forgot to take out my list of people and all their allergies. Silly me. A few months later they went to alaska and she called long distance to see if I would accept her shipment of a couple hundred pounds of haddock into my freezer so they could have it when they got home. HADDOCK, is fish too. Hmmm...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Ihttp://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30446&stc=1&d=1529889140

Russ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 187
Coriander is your herb cilantro. The meat samosas I added 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard seeds when frying.. Gives a bit of extra kick. These are unbelievably easy and tasty. Feel free to ask any questions.

Russ

Thanks for listening ( and sorry for venting) :shock:[/QUOTE

Lol, I know where you are coming from, 30 years ago we had to spend a few weeks with my mil , we were between houses. My wife's brother who has been to India and practices yoga and meditation. He's a vegetarian so my mil tried to,make vegetarian meals, one day we were all out but my daughter was asleep,in the house. She woke up and walked into the kitchen to find my bil. Eating cold lamb sammys, we all laughed , they are what they are when it suits,lol. I enjoyed your story very much.

Russ

Coriander is your herb cilantro. The meat samosas I added 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard seeds when frying.. Gives a bit of extra kick. These are unbelievably easy and tasty. Feel free to ask any questions.

Russ
Here in the US, coriander is the seed and cilantro is the leaf of the same plant. I’ve never seen the one referred to as the other, except by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom