Petty Vents II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup. When my MIL was having surgery and we were all in the surgery waiting area, we had one of those--and even worse, she was listening to other people's conversations and was interjecting with her own comments and questions. She did that to us and we all just stared at her. So rude!

My pet peeve is people who will NOT shut up! In a doctor's waiting room, in a grocery aisle, in a parking lot, these people are loud and loquacious. They seem to think that whatever they have to say will interest all around them. NO, NO, NO!
And Restaurants too! I totally agree...sadly, if they are on the phone, I may be on the other end of the line...LOL. This morning, a friend was in the waiting room of a dreaded doctor's office/appointment. I was texting silly stuff to pass the time. She was giggling and said, "Stop, people are staring!" Sorry!

It drives me crazy how rude people can be. On their phones while checking out at the grocery store as if the cashier isn't important, or at a fast casual food place while they are at the counter ordering. It's demeaning to the people who are helping them and it makes me cringe. While standing in line that's one thing (quiet conversation) but once reaching the point where an employee greets me, it's "Hey, I gotta go. I will call you back." And then that person (employee) gets my undivided attention. Because they matter.

I couldn't possibly have a phone conversation while checking out at the grocery store! There are way too many things to do these days! Card for payment, card for discounts, card to prove my age (really!?)...bags to put things in...all the while, making some attempt to watch the screen to make sure I'm getting charged the right prices, for the right items. Boiling onions are NOT the same thing as Bulbs of Garlic! Or, today, the price of artichokes was twice as much as the sign in produce said. After some back & forth...turns out, the produce guys are told to fill in empty spaces with whatever you've got...but, apparently, they are not told to change the price tags. Sigh. We got a good deal on a couple of nice artichokes! o_O

Talking on the telephone is a thing of the past for me and just about everyone I know.

There are so many scams going around that I only answer calls from people in my contact list.

Most friends and family text me through FB messenger and most of that is nonsense.

1693428898310.jpeg

Talking on the telephone is a thing of the past for me and just about everyone I know.

There are so many scams going around that I only answer calls from people in my contact list.

Most friends and family text me through FB messenger and most of that is nonsense.

View attachment 65777
I use my phone for work (I'm an independent contractor/self employed).

ID...that brings up a Petty Vent for me! My DH practically refuses to show his ID to buy beer, so I have to show it. I tried "encouraging" him, but in the end it is quicker and easier just to show mine.

That said, some days back, there was a very senior lady in front of us. All she had was 1 bottle of wine. Apparently, she had walked over to the store to make the purchase, as she doesn't drive. The only ID she had was her VETERAN's ID card...and the checker said it was not good enough. I was amazed! She was...well, something other than amazed. In the end, the checker called for a manager and the manager had to do some kind of override on the register.

Now...on this very same day, there was another woman shopping in the store. She had only a couple of things in her cart and was drinking a beer (!!) while shopping. As we were leaving the store, I noticed the cart now abandoned in the center isle, still with 2 items and a now empty beer can. I guess someone else noticed too, when we went to our car, there were 2 police cars blocking the back of her car and a couple of the officers having a chat with her.

Sigh. As Dorothy once said, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

ID...that brings up a Petty Vent for me! My DH practically refuses to show his ID to buy beer, so I have to show it. I tried "encouraging" him, but in the end it is quicker and easier just to show mine.

That said, some days back, there was a very senior lady in front of us. All she had was 1 bottle of wine. Apparently, she had walked over to the store to make the purchase, as she doesn't drive. The only ID she had was her VETERAN's ID card...and the checker said it was not good enough. I was amazed! She was...well, something other than amazed. In the end, the checker called for a manager and the manager had to do some kind of override on the register.

Now...on this very same day, there was another woman shopping in the store. She had only a couple of things in her cart and was drinking a beer (!!) while shopping. As we were leaving the store, I noticed the cart now abandoned in the center isle, still with 2 items and a now empty beer can. I guess someone else noticed too, when we went to our car, there were 2 police cars blocking the back of her car and a couple of the officers having a chat with her.

Sigh. As Dorothy once said, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
It’s becoming more common for homeless people to dine and dash in our local Tops Friendly Market.

The targets are usually the bakery and deli self service counters.

It has become so common that the customers and employees rarely bat an eye.

I don’t blame the employees, no one making minimum wage should be expected to risk their personal safety.

It’s becoming more common for homeless people to dine and dash in our local Tops Friendly Market.

The targets are usually the bakery and deli self service counters.

It has become so common that the customers and employees rarely bat an eye.

I don’t blame the employees, no one making minimum wage should be expected to risk their personal safety.
We have uniformed guards in most of the grocery stores, these days. The above referenced one included. I have heard "security" called over the intercom...but I've never sought out the "problem"...so I don't know exactly what they do or don't do.

I do know, one day, there was a guy at the door, threatening people (customers) about going in the store...and acting more than a little odd...I went to the other side of the store to enter and when I told one of our known employees, they simply called the police. (We had been eating our lunch in the car, in the parking lot...so we had been watching all this for some minutes. It was a hot day and he was dressed for a snow day.)

Flash forward a few month...cops are chasing a couple of guys. They chase them into this market's parking lot. One guy surrenders, but the other went into the restaurant & climbed up into the attic...and made his way over to the grocery store! Apparently, all the attics are open/connected. At least, that is what they reported on the news. I was nowhere near it!

Definitely not Kansas...

Ginny I was under the impression you and DH were a little over 25 years old. Have they changed the minimum driinking age in PNW to 30?
We occasionally get carded in places we don't frequent when buying liquor, and we are WAY north of 30. I said "seriously" once to the cashier and she said yes ma'am, we got caught not carding a younger looking person and closed down for a few days so now we have to card everybody. If they ask for ID, I now assume that's why.

We occasionally get carded in places we don't frequent when buying liquor, and we are WAY north of 30. I said "seriously" once to the cashier and she said yes ma'am, we got caught not carding a younger looking person and closed down for a few days so now we have to card everybody. If they ask for ID, I now assume that's why.
I was told that a couple of Fred Meyer stores got their permit pulled for a week or something, so now most all of the Kroger stores, Safeway, Albertsons and Walmarts card EVERYONE. Some kind of "sting" operation, sending in underage agents or something.

My problem isn't really that they make me show it, it is that they actually scan it. That part just bugs me...maybe that's just me? 1984?

Having chronic illness is a bad lot. I hate my life with Crohns disease sometimes. I have a very treatment resistant form, so it's been a rollercoaster. And I have surgery coming up, meh.
I'm sorry to hear that. I have Crohn's disease, too, and my doctor told me a long time ago that I have an especially aggressive case. Lots of complications. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Back
Top Bottom